Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jamie said:
well after that review RedDirtDigger i think i am going to get the DD ones, they seemed good just from reading about them but actual feed back on them is helpful so cheers for that mate
cheers
Jamie
They look cool and they come in camo :cool: :) $65 from detect a den

Just remember guys your still not immune from snake bites even with gaiters.

Don't deliberately put yourselves in situations where you might get bit.
And don't corner a snake.
Also get ones that have been proven work and not just look cool.

LC76 said:
Just remember guys your still not immune from snake bites even with gaiters.

Don't deliberately put yourselves in situations where you might get bit.
And don't corner a snake.
Also get ones that have been proven work and not just look cool.
Good point LC6 they actually look like BMX shin guards.

Had a Tiger Snake swimming ~1m in front of me in the Ovens River 10 years back, when inner tubing in board shorts - very frightening. To move or not to move? Back paddled as fast as I could and couldn't get past until my ex brother in law sconned it with a rock (he is a great throw). It swam to the bank and disappeared. I also had two browns at my place (Melbourne outer suburbs) last Summer. Accidentally ran over one with the car last summer in my driveway (had to accelerate heavily), but will get some gaiters (per the advice above) in case I accidentally hit the other with a shovel this coming summer :) Kids, dogs and snakes don't mix well!

Had some gaiters from Anaconda for about 1 year. After seeing this post gave them a pin test and found the lower material from the bottom to just above the ankle didn't allow the pin through. However, the thinner material above that up to the knee didn't stop the pin. I've now got a pair of Snakeprotex, and can confirm the zipper teeth are plastic but the slider is metal. Haven't tested them yet but trusting others experience that it will be fine. Cheers

Dig'n-it said:
Had some gaiters from Anaconda for about 1 year. After seeing this post gave them a pin test and found the lower material from the bottom to just above the ankle didn't allow the pin through. However, the thinner material above that up to the knee didn't stop the pin. I've now got a pair of Snakeprotex, and can confirm the zipper teeth are plastic but the slider is metal. Haven't tested them yet but trusting others experience that it will be fine. Cheers

Just back from a camping trip from Bright Ovens/Bucklands River last weekend (amazing gold history over 6000 unmarked graves along the river, will be back looking for left overs) , spotted Red belly black 1mtr away from where my son and I were walking further up 2 Tigers & 1 Brown...Never seen a snake in the G.T so just in my gumboots.

Yes it is Dig'n-it, but think it becomes second nature to look out in front of you because of detecting, my son would have walked on top of the black if I didn't stop him and even then when I called stop snake dead ahead he still didn't see it...They are so well adapted to camouflage that only a trained eye will spot them.
It's the tigers that worry me as they will go for you and aggressively go after you , blacks & browns would prefer to turn unless no way out.

Make sure you zip that tent up tight as they love to cuddle up :lol:

I've got snakeprotex. Yep bugga's of things with them metal bits. Haven't used them much but might be able to adjust the swing a bit to avoid picking them up. I was pinging them, tried adjusting the swing but it was a strain on the shoulder.

DD Leather .................... tough as nails and available in different sizes in 16 oz canvas $65 or leather available also if you wish $80
In Long Gully recently I left them at camp and Noel strongly suggested I go back and get them :eek:
Best I've had is five in one day ..................... and that was in my own back yard with one even in the washing machine. Breading season and the warmer weather starting they are on the move.

A snake bite can ruin more than your day ............... wrong snake wrong place your dead.

1475094495_gaiters_1.jpg

I've got the moroka30 ones as well, quality seems really good although I've yet to come across a snake.

You guys might also consider setopress snake bandages in case you or someone else gets bit. I learned about them on this forum actually, they're a proper snake bandage, good to have a practice of doing the pressure immobilisation technique just in case one of those snakes is dead set on biting you.

I hate snakes so much.

I was at Deep Creek in Gympie sluicing and panning with some mates and a 6 foot long Taipan dropped off the embankment and swam past two of us about a metre away.I nearly crapped on the spot. Now I am detecting and want the max protection, hence starting this thread.

Good discussion, thanks everyone.

Bogger said:
DD Leather .................... tough as nails and available in different sizes in 16 oz canvas $65 or leather available also if you wish $80
In Long Gully recently I left them at camp and Noel strongly suggested I go back and get them :eek:
Best I've had is five in one day ..................... and that was in my own back yard with one even in the washing machine. Breading season and the warmer weather starting they are on the move.

A snake bite can ruin more than your day ............... wrong snake wrong place your dead.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1475094495_gaiters_1.jpg

I just bought a pair of these from Detecta Den in Batemans Bay,really comfy to wear once I was used to them..

Been wearing my Snakeprotex detecting for the last 2 days and they don't interfere with detecting. The only way the detector will pick up the metal zip slide is if you bring the coil right beside your foot. The detector coil when searching is well in front. So no problem at all.
Cheers

Been reports of a lot of snakes about due to the water filling up their hidey holes. Haven't seen one yet but have seen a couple of bluetongues on the move so they're around.

I got my Gators today from Coiltek. Thd misses feels MUCH better. For once in my life I'll follow other's good advice. Me being from the eastern U.S.we don't have this kind of snake problem. I plan not to learn the hard way.
Thank you folks for all the advice.

Latest posts