sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glot

Geoff Lotton
Reaction score
I sometimes have the opportunity to bring home a few bucketful's of dirt. Rather than pan the lot, I want to classify to about 3mm then run through a small sluice at home. I am thinking about 75mm wide and reasonable long. Any suggestions what mat to use in it? I was thinking of Gold Hog UR mat. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. I have a 1150 GPH pump I want to use.

Hi glot,
I pan out half the lighter material 1st and run it through a pce of basic ripple mat 3mm. 250mm wide 200mm long with small fish tank pump 10L/min it gets all my gold ..i set it on a 35angle to. ;)

Ive been testing bedrock mixed with downdraft which works really well at reducing black sands. Otherwise low flow ribb matt works well and is heaps cheaper

Loooks like this. Before and after. I use tge miners moss to spread the flow of water

1415355114_20140904_180121.jpg
1415354902_20140904_173156.jpg
1415354956_20140904_180329.jpg

:eek:
I just gotta go get me some of that grade stuff. :lol:
Place I know of is blocked off at the moment but, It will still be there when I return. :cool:
Well Done. :D

Lay it flat and wet the mat 1st that way material dosent push gold down and it has a chance to find a resting place.
Works nice gold digga. I use basteing brush to help get rid of rubbish like a miller table... :p

Bunnings clark rubber hospitality suppliers. Its basically food grade matting for cool rooms and wet areas.

Found some great mat in Clark Rubber. They even cut off a 75mm strip and I only paid $4 for it. 3.5mm ribbed mat. They also have some interesting extrusion for boats. 50mm wide but laid side by side would make a good high flow sluice. They called it #97 extrusion.

Good stuff mate $4 bargin.
Now your ready to rock n roll!!!
Keep posting cause we never stop learning and evolving. :)

I have been toying around with the idea of using plastic pallet edge protection as riffles.
Quite often you will see them on the side of the road, I tend to go for the blue ones.
The profile of these are similar to some of the riffled mats around. The profile is closely formed so I tend to remove every second rib with a router. I reckon it will work and getting close to a final test run.
They can be a bit stiff but a cuppla screws will put them into place.
Cheers
Brad..

Hopefully, I can upload a couple of photos of the extrusions I was just talking about. The mat isn't perfect but works well and cheap if you only want a narrow strip. They also do these heavy rubber floor mats with holes in them. They would work well for really heavy going if they were layed upside down. The holes have a step in them. Upside down, the lower step is wider then the top opening. I think they were like $6 each.
1415652341_1-img_8948.jpg
1415652377_2-img_8949.jpg

Have been running the floor mat in the first pic with good results. 1200 long by 75 wide. about 20 deg slope. Classify material thru fly wire. If you are n a tight budget, works well. I run a 1150 GPH yellow bilge pump well throttled back. Powered by a down light 12 volt iron core transformer with a couple of diodes. I used the cover off an old fluro light to put the mat in. Can run half a bucket thru in less than 1/2 an hour and that's with muddy water.

That's a great idea going out the back to try it with my rubber mate I have see if I can get the same results.

Latest posts