sluice parts

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkenotwills

Kevin Burke
Reaction score
Hi everyone, although I am new to it all have been inspired by you all on the builds I have seen.
So gathering the parts to make a small river sluice like the one in WalnLiz's video. Has cost me $14 dollars so far and a friend is making up the tray for nicks for me(a couple of beers coming his way).
Just wondering does the expanded mesh sit flat on the tray or does it need to be raised a couple of mm. Or should there be matting under this as well?
Hopefully will have it done by the end of the weekend as I'm of to Ballarat for two weeks and want to give it a run.
Cheers K.B.
1413523221_parts2_2.jpg

Put the crate directly on the mat KB, and don't put anything under the mesh. The mesh sits flat on the bottom of the sluice as well. Make your mesh to crate ratio 2:1, ie 2/3rd mesh and 1/3rd crate and matting. Keep your mesh to the top section of the sluice. Make sure you have a reasonable length of slick plate to get enough water speed for separation.

Best of luck with it and hope the gold is kind to you.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Put the crate directly on the mat KB, and don't put anything under the mesh. The mesh sits flat on the bottom of the sluice as well. Make your mesh to crate ratio 2:1, ie 2/3rd mesh and 1/3rd crate and matting. Keep your mesh to the top section of the sluice. Make sure you have a reasonable length of slick plate to get enough water speed for separation.

Best of luck with it and hope the gold is kind to you.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for all the info Wal, and all the advice/info/ideas you give everyone. As I will be going to spot with limited, if any, flow I will be incorporating the plastic drum solution I have also seen you use. Your knowledge and willingness to share is greatly appreciated especially for a newbie such as myself. So again thank-you.
Cheers K.B.

OK couldn't wait for my mate to bend up the sluice for me so had a go myself. Had to utilise what I had available to bend up the sluice.
1414480726_build_1.jpg
1414481813_build_3.jpg
My cage trailer worked a treat.
1414481898_build_5.jpg
1414482017_build_7.jpg
Just need to put some finishing touches on it, cut some 'L's' into the crate and should be a goer.
Still have 5 days in the Ballarat area so should get to give it a run soon.
Cheers K.B.

Finally finished my sluice. Have yet to test it out. Going to have a go to set it up at home and recirculate the water through it.
1416037253_20141115_181400_2.jpg

Next thing on the agenda is a 'blue bowl' got it started today.
1416037367_20141115_181003_2.jpg
Got and old swimming pool pump of one of those inflatable pools I had sitting around will set it up to see if I can recirculate the water for it. hopefully it will work ok.
1416037502_20141115_181220_2.jpg
Cheers K.B.

Latest posts