Shane_vor's AT Max finds.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hit the usual ruin this morning and then a new site. I had checked it on Sixmaps which also has a 1943 aerial map overlay thingo for Sydney. The second site had a 'formal garden' in the 1943 image which does not appear these days. I touched on the ruined buildings but they were absolutely surrounded by trash so swung further afield. Total for today includes a harmonica reed, a serving spoon(that I smashed with my digger), an unidentified spent bullet casing which is quite large, the back plate of a watch, and what looks like the frame of a mantle clock. But the kicker was the 1866 Penny! My first predec!
1508575560_20171021_185949.jpg

1508575560_20171021_190002.jpg

Now, as for preserving the Penny, it's a bit green, so what do I do with it now? Do I leave it or should it be cleaned to remove the green?

Naturally there was a bit of trash but not as much as usual :)

shane_vor said:
I hit the usual ruin this morning and then a new site. I had checked it on Sixmaps which also has a 1943 aerial map overlay thingo for Sydney. The second site had a 'formal garden' in the 1943 image which does not appear these days. I touched on the ruined buildings but they were absolutely surrounded by trash so swung further afield. Total for today includes a harmonica reed, a serving spoon(that I smashed with my digger), an unidentified spent bullet casing which is quite large, the back plate of a watch, and what looks like the frame of a mantle clock. But the kicker was the 1866 Penny! My first predec!
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10872/1508575560_20171021_185949.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10872/1508575560_20171021_190002.jpg

Now, as for preserving the Penny, it's a bit green, so what do I do with it now? Do I leave it or should it be cleaned to remove the green?

Naturally there was a bit of trash but not as much as usual :)

Andre's Crayons are pretty good at retaining the Patina while giving it a new-ish appearance. :)

Well done Shane ! :Y:
Congrats on your first PD
That green is good green , dont remove it ;)
Oh ye , regarding the junk ( bottle caps , canslaw etc )
If your not digging that stuff .... your missing goodies ;)

A big congratulations of your penny :party: I haven't found a coin that old yet 8.(

Well done :Y:

This weekend I was invited to follow a couple of blokes out to Bathurst, after a briefing involving olden days maps we broke out the detectors and without a word of a lie within the first five minutes I have a cracking signal and dig up an 1867 penny! I could almost feel the daggers in my back! :) The time up until lunch was spent digging buttons and .22 shells. After lunch we relocated to an area that appeared to have been detected recently and all I could pick up a Sako 30-30 shell oh! And a new stubbie holder! So no big loss.

The penny.
1509876724_20171105_205403.jpg

This has to be a ladies button, yes? The rear is rusted so no names on it.
1509876856_20171105_205412.jpg

Anyone know what these lead disc dome-shaped things are? About the size of a half penny and found pretty close to one another.
1509876988_20171105_205424.jpg

Alot of my photos haven't worked for some reason...I also have a button with with "Edwards Patent" on the back and would appreciate some help on where I might start researching buttons. Also grabbed a large squashed lead ball, maybe a musket?

It was a distinct pleasure not digging trash all day, though there was some, just not nearly as much!

Latest posts