Selling gold - how, why, where

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the best way to sell 200 grams of gold without having to deal with people or crap businesses.
Does the Perth mint accept small amounts? I live in regional NT so don't have many options.

Shep said:
What is the best way to sell 200 grams of gold without having to deal with people or crap businesses.
Does the Perth mint accept small amounts? I live in regional NT so don't have many options.

I believe they do - have a look at at this page on their website for more info:
https://tinyurl.com/ycpbakdw

From that page, the Perth Mint Refinery number is (08) 9479 9999, I'd suggest you give them a call.

A gold buyer we have used sereral times in ottoway, SA
Peter W Beck Pty Ltd.
14 Duncan Ct, Ottoway SA 5013
Ph. (08) 8447 1133
We can highly recomend them.
They refine and pay market price on the day of refining, including silver content.

PWB currently have a cheaper refining rate for small amounts of gold, you can send 30 - 460 grams for $150+GST (flat charge) wheras Perth Mint charges a flat rate of $297 (including GST)for up to I think 3kg of material (from memory when I spoke to them on the phone).

PWB will also let you elect to have some or all of your gold returned as ingots or granules. They also have very good customer service.

You won't get as good a price as a private buyer but the upside is you don't have to deal with people. I would recommend you keep any unique or interesting nuggets as they can fetch a much higher price (i.e. up to $90 a gram) if you sell them privately.

It would be nice to know purity I reckon which is obviously difficult to obtain for free. Its often tempting to buy gold/nuggets as an investment - even at spot price but only for the gold content...

1541716808_img_0343.jpg

This is straight out of the mold, is ugly nugs and gold from dry blowing. Normally I would keep it but I want
to buy a new detector and the mrs won't give me access to the bank accounts.
Apparently I have no self control haha

Will give PWB a ring when I get a chance

We can probably agree on an oz or two if you are near the centre.

I don't have enough meningful posts so send a PM.

I am in Gillian if you are in ASP.

We could meet at the craft council if you wanted?

Stru said:
It would be nice to know purity I reckon which is obviously difficult to obtain for free. Its often tempting to buy gold/nuggets as an investment - even at spot price but only for the gold content...
It would be cool if there was a database of purity by region/general location, something that could be updated continuously. I've run into trouble trying to sell smelted buttons, buyer concerns about purity. Nuggs and raw alluvial easier. XRF needed

General list & would vary outside of these figures in various regions of each state. Even areas within a region could show variances - the only way to know when buying/selling is by testing which isn't always possible.
Without testing as a seller you will always run a risk of under or overstating purity.
Without testing as a buyer you will always run a risk of overpaying for low purity natural gold.

Generally Australian gold is very good in comparison to other countries.

STATE PURITY %
Tasmania 92 - 98
Victoria 92 - 98
New South Wales 92 - 98
Queensland 92 - 98
South Australia 88 - 96
Northern Territory 88 - 96
Western Australia 85 - 95
Source: http://www.gold-net.com.au/archivemagazines/jul02/33503861.html#2

Info:
http://www.goldrushnuggets.com/howpuarenago.html

Example of WA assay differences (Tributers post):
http://detectingwestaustral.4rumer....in-different-areas-of-western-australia#28097

1541914934_img_6467.jpg
Hi i have this on ebay if anyones interested nice Xmas present for loved one,

Gold nugget Pendant with bail and chain From the Goldfields of Australia

Bay item number:153246835395
1541914408_img_6451.jpg
1541915002_s-l64.jpg

I have heard that some St Arnaurd Gold is fairly low purity? Not sure if only from a specific reef or section of the field?
Also gold from the Morning Star Mine ( Woods Point ) had a fair amount of silver in it.

Both of the above were below 88% pure.

Where in Victoria ( Melbourne ) can I sell some of my subgram nuggets 5 grams, smelted alluvial gold ( small buttons) about 12 grams
And some alluvial gold. About 5 grams