SDC2300 aftermarket coil information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AUaddict said:
Hi All

Meet a fellow prospector in the GT testing the SDC with the 11 inch coiltek coil and his standard SDC.

He mentioned on some of his smallest nugget tests the 11 inch did not pick up the nuggets where the standard SDC did.

He said the 11 inch coil lost sensitivity compared with the standard coil.

Hope these comment may be helpful.

Regards Anthony.

I would expect to loose sensitivity of on the fly sh1t

Like any detector... Smaller coil will get small stuff and in some cases quite deep.

Bigger coil will miss the small fly sh1t but get deeper on larger stuff AND will cover more ground.

Would expect the 10x5 to be as good as the standard BUT the 11"and the 14 x 9" will be about depth and coverage.

why did you get the 14x9 tuner? will they both find same sized gold at same depths? or is it just because the elliptical covers move ground?

not sure thought that would be the best size will see hope its not too heavy for her

Wishfull said:
Hope you two guys above do an evaluation on thise coils when you get them.

1554077936_sdc__new_coil_review..jpg

Nightmare roflmfao you can bet there will be 101 air tests and some suss ground testing.

At Easter we will be on some interesting ground. Not as bad as some places but interesting.

Will have 3 or 4 SDC2300 and a selection of 4500 . 5000 and 7000 as well.

Trying to organize any sort of validation will be a dogs breakfast for many reasons.

But 3 of us hope to try and find a few targets and prior to any digging, swing a standard coil and new coil and see what we notice. But because of bias and even knowing there may be a target it will introduce false / suss outcomes where the signal is iffy.

Best we can truly hope for is a clear target that one will find and the other can not. And the 3 of us are all thinking that slightly deeper but miss some fly shit. But coverage as people still forget it is a mono coil and field shape is critical. So many still move to fast with the SDC2300 and miss ground.

Old Chinese/ miners camp so the other problem is lots of boot tacks and buttons. But it should be fun lol.

For beach work the 14x9 should be killer for coverage.

Got it fitted, wasn't too hard. Came apart easy. Only issues I had were:
-no instructions. Not really a problem, just watch the you tube video.
-the supplied clamp didn't fit, I just gave it a light touch with the dremel in a couple spots on the outside of the holes then it worked.
-mine had no bolt and nut for the coil, I was able to pinch one off a GPX coil, but may be an issue if you only have an SDC. Just check that it's in there.
Apart from that it fitted OK, looks good.

Im still a bit sceptical about the new coils and dont think Ill be rushing out to get one just yet , time will tell. Not yet convinced there will be an improvement in sensitivity on small gold and not a loss , if there is an improvement in depth on small gold without a loss in sensitivity on surface gold then they will get my attention. Ground coverage yes maybe but the areas I like to work my sdc I need a small coil to get in between rocks and obsticals . Skid plates is another thought as Im a scrubber and go through quite a few , I like the clip on blue sdc plates wonder how these ones will work / cost . I think the standard coil works so well on the sdc I wouldnt want to change it , For depth I go the 4500 . Changing coils back and fourth looks a hassle to me .So unless these coils change the sdc into a 7000 Im sitting on the fence watching . Time will tell, these are just my thoughts . Happy to do any side by side tests in the field . Cheers Booney

Some great ideas that prospectors are renowned for, however................
Nothing will change my view until extensive up front parallel testing has been done with original SDC and modified version.
AND! Why should the public, after investing their own money in a publicly untried product be out there doing the road tests for the developer of this extra?
Maybe the end result will be a "win win" for all concerned, hopefully so?

Before I'm jumped on with, "If you don't like it don't buy it" etc.

Once bitten twice shy, the below photo is of a coil I bought back in the SD2100 days, now hanging on my fence with other memorabilia.
This coil was a mongrel, every twig or rock I touched it rang off.
Had more money than sense back then, should have sent it back.
Ended up pulling the cover off revealing the internals were flapping around in a void. Contemplated filling the voids with silastic but turned to Monos and it lay in my shed for years until deciding to cover ugly fence with memorabilia which is now over grown with Jasmine.

1554601547_dd_coiltek_001.jpg

just a question about the new coiltek coils for the sdc.i bought mine,as most people would,because it was going to hoover up all the fine gold previous models missed,which it is doing quite nicely. so,why would you put a bigger coil on it and miss the gold it was designed to get.wouldnt these bigger coils just make the sdc perform like a 4500 that doesn't go as deep,therefore you are only going over ground 4500s and 5000s have been over before, and cleaned up the type of nuggets you are changing coils for.hence the sdc has its abilities it was designed for compromised,and you will find less gold and walk over the smaller stuff you should be picking up.hmmmmm.

Myself Im looking at the 10 x5 . The evo on the 5 covers the small stuff. 10 by 5 on the sdc , centre mount has me keen on the tiny stuff Ive missed. Can really push it hard around rocks and up under scrub.

Latest posts