SDC2300 aftermarket coil information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with a Minelab rep last week who said "no new coil for SDC" very forcefully which tells me she has been asked the question a 1000 times already.

She went on to explain the R&D to make the SDC was funded by the military and the product was merely modified for the consumer market. It is the most popular selling detector for Minelab in Australia but worldwide it is the CTX3030 ... And as they are in business I would think R&D would be spent on the greatest income stream which the SDC is not.

A hobby horse of mine for a while now , has been done by a modder it seems. It was reported some time ago Ismael had some success but I do not know of anything recent.

From another forum.

1473746700_image.jpeg
1473746726_image.jpeg
1473746753_image.jpeg

"Thanks to the venture of one man all those with the SDC will be able to get more from there machine cheap too.

Pictures explain how its done however I have not seen this in the flesh, or spoken with Minelab about it but from what i'm told:

The coil plugs are the same configuration as the GPX coils and basically plug and play minus the water. As to fixing the coil block of wood in the end of shaft glued to where coil attaches.

Benefits, of the coil mod. Can run HOT! Highest sensitivity, stable humming bird, more depth bigger coil= more ground and best of all still picks up the fine gold its known for.

Warranty will most likely be void so if you are going to attempt to do it make sure its what you want, I take no responsibility."

End quote.

I would not hold my breath for Minelab to release anything bu something from Woody or Ismael would be nice to try . Question to Nenad , have you tried ? What is your technical opinion ?

Cheers

Seen some reports on different coil testing done awhile ago (I don't know if Ismael was part of those specifically but I knew he was playing with it too) & the 8" Commander mono was the best performer which kind of negates the whole process really if correct?
Smarter blokes than me have said that the MPF timing will never get serious depth like a SD/GP/GPX/GPZ anyway. Some techno business about the faster pulse decaying too quickly to penetrate at any great depths? The same reason it is deadly on smalls that other machines/timings miss.
A 14" X 7" elliptical or similar would be a nice addition though if it ran well.

A friend sent me a pic of a message sent to nugget finder and the reply from Rohan said they are developing a coil for the sdc will cover more ground and go a bit deeper but don't expect a gpx from what I hear it is a 12 " evo coil can't wait for that . :D

Brilliant, That's what the SDC needs to set it free, I love the simple power up and Go attitude of the SDC and bigger Coils will make it perfect.

Great News, thanks for posting about it,

John.

Wishfull said:
That's great news but what would that do to any remaining warranty ?
Minelab SDC2300 manual page 13 said:
Attempting to disassemble or repair the detector will void your warranty.
Have to make your own mind up on that.
I doubt you'll see any huge benefits other than more ground coverage. A bit more depth may come at the expense of a little sensitivity loss too? Interesting though - will be watching it when it hits the stores.

Ridge Runner said:
Brilliant, That's what the SDC needs to set it free, I love the simple power up and Go attitude of the SDC and bigger Coils will make it perfect.

Great News, thanks for posting about it,

John.

Set it free from what? The SDC is already an extremely well proven and highly regarded detector.

I'm with Mbasko and think a bit extra ground coverage will be most likely all you get, maybe a little extra depth, that's always a good thing but changing coils will probably be difficult and annoying. Anyway it's good that a company can see the potential benefits of making a larger coil for such a great product.

neddy said:
It would be interesting if it was spiral wound just how deep it would go and down to what size.

I agree that sure would be interesting, would make sense to design it as a spiral wound after the success of all the other spiral wound coils.

If you don't have other detectors, then an optional coil would be great on the SDC, even upping it to a 12x7 size which NF have in the Advantage range, would give it more coverage at depth. Less overlap, means you can shuffle forward a bit quicker.
What I use the SDC for is the following:

1. Thick scrub where you are poking and prodding the coil. The round coil and rear mount and the lack of any falsing are all perfect for this
2. As a final pass over any patch - no patch is fully cleaned out until and SDC has gone over it
3. Shallow hot ground with lots of zippy hot rocks - if the SDC can't score in this type of ground nothing will
4. Side walls where you are detecting with the coil vertically - this is where the SDC shines, and the GPX and GPZ can fail miserably

For open patch hunting where I am swinging faster, I am preferring the GPX with 14x9" or 17x13" Evos, but if the SDC had a bigger elliptical or even semi-elliptical then the SDC would definitely get more action, as I know it will ping the hard to see gold much better than the GPX. The GPZ has proven that there is a heap more of this type of gold in my local hunting grounds than I ever realised, even at depth.

PhaseTech said:
If you don't have other detectors, then an optional coil would be great on the SDC, even upping it to a 12x7 size which NF have in the Advantage range, would give it more coverage at depth. Less overlap, means you can shuffle forward a bit quicker.

1. Thick scrub where you are poking and prodding the coil. The round coil and rear mount and the lack of any falsing are all perfect for this
2. As a final pass over any patch - no patch is fully cleaned out until and SDC has gone over it
3. Shallow hot ground with lots of zippy hot rocks - if the SDC can't score in this type of ground nothing will
4. Side walls where you are detecting with the coil vertically - this is where the SDC shines, and the GPX and GPZ can fail miserably

For open patch hunting where I am swinging faster, I am preferring the GPX with 14x9" or 17x13" Evos, but if the SDC had a bigger elliptical or even semi-elliptical then the SDC would definitely get more action, as I know it will ping the hard to see gold much better than the GPX. The GPZ has proven that there is a heap more of this type of gold in my local hunting grounds than I ever realised, even at depth.

That's what I was thinking a 14x9 would be perfect,

I use a 10x14 on another machine and I just can't imagine using anything else, It gets extra depth over the standard Coil and they extra coverage is a Bonus.

John.

Let's just wait and see when it comes out no good speculating. On test results people can make an informed decision and with warranty that will be up to the individual I do hope it's a good coil from nugget finder. :D

Ridge Runner said:
PhaseTech said:

That's what I was thinking a 14x9 would be perfect,

I use a 10x14 on another machine and I just can't imagine using anything else, It gets extra depth over the standard Coil and they extra coverage is a Bonus.

John.

Aaaaaaaaaah yes they say great minds think alike :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D :D

The aftermarket SDC coil has been in the wings for quite some time now and apparently the carbon fibre shafts not being kind to the coil. :eek:
If Rohan releases it then I'm sure it will be excellent as are his other coils.
:)

Latest posts