Scales to weigh your gold - advice please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
Moneybox said:
Ridge Runner said:
Wishfull said:
Ridge Runner said:
I bought a Good set from a company that sells only scales, I needed something with at leased 4 or 5 digit readout for testing Coils, they go up to 50gms and measure 0.001gm and 0.0001oz, They came with the calibration weights in a fancy case with 3 weighing trays,

John.
Hoq much were the scales RR

Here ya go mate, If you want a set I can post them to you if you want,

https://www.ourweigh.co.uk/precision-carat-scales/on-balance-ct-250-carat-scale.html

John.
They do look like classy scales but money is a bit tight. Perhaps after we find just a bit more of the yella stuff :)

Well that works out to be about $67.62c. which is not bad for a set of scales of this quality, I bought about 5 sets of those cheaper ones and none of them are accurate, So I wanted a real set of scales and these are the best without spending 500 to 1500 bucks.

John.

Ok John I think you've talked me into it but if Mrs M comes down heavy on me when she gets home I'm going to blame you for putting the idea in my head O:) :lol:

It's ok, I've got it covered :Y:

1489302801_sold_nugget.jpg

This mob at Ourweigh have no idea on sending international freight......

1490060834_ourweigh_invoice.jpg

I'm not about to spend ninty-five pounds on freight :eek:

Sorry if I have missed a previous post. I have seen scales in Minelab at $59 or thereabouts and they also sell them on fleabay for various amounts much cheaper. Any suggestions on which to buy? I saw a YouTube vid that pushes a device that measures a minimum .01 grams , which makes sense but otherwise how do you know the accuracy of these devices?

Mac

I ordered a set of ultra sensitive Scales for our member "Moneybox" because he need some that went real low as in 0.001 grams or 0.0001oz and they came in a case with weighing pans tweezers and calibration weight,

One thing you have to be aware of is a lot of scales will give you a different reading depending on where you place the item on the scales so just be aware of that with cheaper models and buying them from the internet is full of problems,

IE I bought on set that had all the correct measurements but when I needed another set that were the same they had all the wrong measurements, I now have about 5 or 6 sets of scales, In the end I went to a proper company who sell official Calibrated scales and as Moneybox can tell you the price was real good.

hope that helps,

John.

I searched for the original thread where I had found the post relating to weighing coins to test scales accuracy, but it has done a Lasseter on me and is unable to be located :eek:

After seeing a thread here in regards to scales, having purchased scales from eBay only days prior before seeing the posts, I thought I would do a post on the scales I received and their accuracy. The scales cost $14.95 delivered. Delivery was very quick, only two days after ordering/paying.

1506052828_a.jpg

1506052854_b.jpg

1506052875_c.jpg

They come with a protective pouch, not sure of material but if looked after should last awhile. There is a plastic cover that snaps over the scales themselves, a blue LCD screen, four push buttons: On, Off, Tare, Mode.

1506053047_d.jpg

The mode button scrolls through the available weighing modes, which are: CT, DWT, OZT, G, OZ and GN.

• CT = Carat (Used for gemstones etc)[/*]
  • DWT = Denarius Weight (Commonly called Pennyweight)[/*]
  • OZT = Ounce Troy[/*]
  • G = Grams[/*]
  • OZ = Ounces[/*]
  • GN = Grain[/*]

This particular model is powered by two AAA batteries, as seen below:
1506053403_e.jpg

Originally I thought they were cactus!
I set about weighing items around the house; Container of butter, Vegemite, Soup tin and so on. None came even close to the marked weight, even taking into account a bit extra for the container, the weights shown where all within the 200 grams higher mark. At this point I thought I had just spent $14.95 on a paperweight with an LCD display.

I then weighed one of my portable radios, it came in at 8.6 grams higher then manufacturer specs, since there was a belt clip and antenna on it, I felt some relief that it was actually within the ballpark of the stated 840 grams.

After reading the post about testing scales with decimal coins, I gave it a go. To save others having to search the net for weights, I found this rather comprehensive site: http://www.decimalcoins.com

The scales measure in a .X format, meaning there is only one unit measurement (.X / .0) after the decimal point, with the exception of ounces and ounces troy, where there is XX after the decimal point. (.XX / .00). In the tests with the coins there appears to be some rounding taking place as well.

I used the following coins: 5 cent (2.83 Grams), 10 cent (5.66 Grams), 20 cent (11.31 Grams), 50 cent (15.55 Grams), 1 dollar (9 Grams) and 2 dollar (6.60 Grams). All standard issue/weight coins.

5 Cent - 2.83 Grams
1506053960_5.jpg
As you can see on the display, the scales measured it at 2.9 Grams. I suspect this is due to rounding maybe? Although going the other way to 2.8 would have been more accurate. These scales appear to round-up rather then down, or a mix of both.

10 Cent - 5.66 Grams
1506054078_10.jpg
Pretty damn close huh? Since the scales do not read in a .XX format on grams. The missing 6 (.66) probably wouldn't worry most unless your working with very fine samples.

20 Cent - 11.31 Grams
1506054216_20.jpg
.9 of a gram high in this case.

50 Cent - 15.55 Grams
1506054307_50.jpg
A tad on the high side again.

1 Dollar - 9 Grams
1506054371_1.jpg
Spot on!

2 Dollar - 6.60 Grams
1506054423_2.jpg
Bingo again.

Needless to say for $14.95 they are not professional high-accuracy scales, but they would give you a good indication of what your samples weigh, and give you a reasonable idea of natural weight value.

Wondering what digital scales people most use and where to get a set? I've bought two off ebay over the past year and they're both not good enough to weigh a 0.5g piece of gold, so I'm after a better quality set. Any advice will be greatly welcomed.
Thanks miss Pot :D

Flowerpot said:
Wondering what digital scales people most use and where to get a set? I've bought two off ebay over the past year and they're both not good enough to weigh a 0.5g piece of gold, so I'm after a better quality set. Any advice will be greatly welcomed.
Thanks miss Pot :D

I bought a proper set of calibrated Scales, They measure up to 50grams but they can measure down to 0.0001oz or 0.001grams, the reason I went for them is that I needed some "fine" scales for testing Coil Sensitivity, They come with a Leather "type" Case and 2 Calibration Weights and different weighing Pans and a pair of Tweezers, they cost about $50.00 so if you want a set let me know and I will order them for you, I bought so many pairs from ebay and they were all junk, and when I ordered a couple of pair that were the same I got sent ones that looked the same but the measurements were different, So that's why I went to a proper weighing company, I also ordered a set for someone else here.

https://www.ourweigh.co.uk/pocket-mini-scales/on-balance-ct-250-carat-scale.html

EDIT:- Note that if you try to order them On Line from them they do charge a heap for postage so it works out a Lot cheaper if they send them to Me and I post them to You, Our member "MoneyBox" can vouch for that because I got them for him. Ok.

Hope that helps.

John.

I also have On Balance brand scales I got off eBay. The brand On-Balance was recommended somewhere on this forum which is why I got them.

I have DT-300 and TUF-100 models.

The DT-300 turned out to be nearly 0.5gram different to the TUF-100 weighing the same large specimen so I had to buy a set of calibration weights. Now they read exactly the same.

The TUF-100 can't weigh anything less than 0.04gram, it just says 'zero'. Not sure about the DT-300 because I haven't found anything that small in a while ;)

Ridge Runners offer sounds pretty good, seeing as they come with the calibration weights and accessories.

Yep, look for scales that has at least 0.01 tolerence of accuracy. I think I paid $25 for mine. And it came with a small tray that can be zeroed off with, and a recalibration weight.
note, keep some kind of gold related item with it if you keep it in your vehicle.
You dont want a copper thinking your dealing with any illegal substances like I got into at an RBT once!

Got mine off ebay weighs from 0.01 to 200gr think from memory cost $14 for 2 including postage,work really well but just had a look and there is no markings on them must be a coles brand lol.PP

Can't remember what mine are they were a pressy :Y: and do what I need smallest being 0.02 so far. If I'm finding any smaller I'll have to visit the optometrist and ask for the supper special. The only reason I see a use for scales to measure less than 0.01 is for very fine alluvial.

Has anyone who's bought the cheaper option scales bothered to test their accuracy. Ridge Runner when your done with the fridge testing here's ya next project ]:D.

RM Outback said:
Has anyone who's bought the cheaper option scales bothered to test their accuracy.

There's a table somewhere online if you google with common Australian coin weights you can use to test your scales, but it turns out even the weight of a coin varies from coin to coin depending on the year and the condition, but at least it will tell you if your scales are in the ball park.

Same with calibration weights, unless they are certified by a scientific laboratory, cheap calibration weights may also not be entirely accurate.

Latest posts