Scales to weigh your gold - advice please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good set of scales from a hunting/firearm store for gun powder & ammo reloading will do the job.
Any decent hunting shop would have decent reloading scales/gear.

Thank you guys for your replays, I forgot to say that has to be pocket size, I reload my 223 and 308 cartridges, so I have two powder scales but they are in grains, what I need is a scale with OZT, OZ and Grams.

A lot of powder scales can do grains or grams - obviously not the ones you have.
That link above to Australian Vapourizers is for the Triton T3. It has the following Weighing modes: g/oz/ct/gn/ozt/dwt
I like the protective case etc. Good if you leave them in the ute.

Thanks Bogger - I ended up finding them on the Buysend website here:
https://www.buysend.com/en-AU/Produ...y-400g-001g/&gclid=CLXMyYjaltECFchWvQodeO8PBw
With discount code BUYSEND10 I got them delivered for $31 or thereabouts. Been looking for a better set than my cheap eBay ones without spending too much & these look good for the price.
Interestingly my cheap eBay ones are reasonably accurate when I checked with some test weights. I wouldn't like to accidentally drop them though & the battery compartment door is always coming off. They are a pain in the ass :lol:

Its handy to have the calibration weights with any scales you buy. The cheapy scales work fine but after going through a few of them over the years, having the correct calibration weights helps get them back on track if the scales can be calibrated/checked. Having a couple calibration weights handy takes the doubt away about the accuracy of your scales.

Also its worth getting a cheap slim line set of 5kg kitchen scales for the car for when you get a big specie or slug. Nothing worse then being in a remote place and having to try guess the weight of a larger piece around the campfire waiting for a week or so until you get back to a bigger set of scales.

I know this is an old thread but still relevant. We purchased a nice little set of scales off ebay a couple of years back.

1489156925_scale_2.jpg

Almost the same as these only up to 500g. They were a similar price as well. They are really good in the field but my worry is that because they don't always settle on the exact same weight, are they accurate enough when it comes to selling our nuggets on ebay?

1489157153_scales_1.jpg

For a mere $90 more I can buy these ones. For the extra price they'd have to be more accurate wouldn't they?

They look to be the exact same product marketed by different vendors. Even if they are not, how would you be able to tell?

I think we'll buy a set that are only good to 10 or 20g for our ebay sales. Well thats for the SDC nuggets anyway :lol:

1489157745_scales_3.jpg

And we'll keep the old scales for everything else :cool:

I bought a Good set from a company that sells only scales, I needed something with at leased 4 or 5 digit readout for testing Coils, they go up to 50gms and measure 0.001gm and 0.0001oz, They came with the calibration weights in a fancy case with 3 weighing trays,

John.

Ridge Runner said:
I bought a Good set from a company that sells only scales, I needed something with at leased 4 or 5 digit readout for testing Coils, they go up to 50gms and measure 0.001gm and 0.0001oz, They came with the calibration weights in a fancy case with 3 weighing trays,

John.
How much did the scales cost if you dont mind me asking RR

Wishfull said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.
Hoq much were the scales RR

Here ya go mate, If you want a set I can post them to you if you want,

https://www.ourweigh.co.uk/precision-carat-scales/on-balance-ct-250-carat-scale.html

John.

Ridge Runner said:
Wishfull said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.

https://www.ourweigh.co.uk/precision-carat-scales/on-balance-ct-250-carat-scale.html

John.
They do look like classy scales but money is a bit tight. Perhaps after we find just a bit more of the yella stuff :)

Moneybox said:
Ridge Runner said:
Wishfull said:
Ridge Runner said:

John.

John.
They do look like classy scales but money is a bit tight. Perhaps after we find just a bit more of the yella stuff :)

Well that works out to be about $67.62c. which is not bad for a set of scales of this quality, I bought about 5 sets of those cheaper ones and none of them are accurate, So I wanted a real set of scales and these are the best without spending 500 to 1500 bucks.

John.

Latest posts