Sapphire Bomb

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers dudes

Just packaged them all up to send to Lamberts :D between this batch and a smaller batch I sent a month ago I should have something for mum's 60th next year but we're gonna keep going :D :D :D . We're totally addicted to them just love all the colours. Chaffing at the bit to get the high banker going :D :D :D must admit the sieving gets pretty dam tiring :)

Cheers

C&L

Col & Lee,

when the cut stones come back from Lamberts all you will need is to find enough gold to have a ring made for 'mum's 60th'

Good hunting

Two of us found some Zircon bombs also good Zircons in the Harts Ranges some years ago.
I lost mine unfortunately when moving between homes at a later date.
Anyway if I can get my mind into a reasonable state (A Vietnam Vet who find it very hard to travel) I would love to hitch the van up or swag and head off to Inverell and or the Sapphire area.
Anyone interested in joining me?
Is a long journey and if I get on the road I believe (Moving via available-money) the time, Adelaide to Inverell app three weeks.
No, I'm not into weapons or over indulge.
Love a campfire and, meat but I dont eat people unless; theyre purple.. If you are oldish you know the song.

Yellow Sapphire.
Will Keep this short as poss.
Mate and I digging for sapphires out near Tomahawk Creek near the town of Sapphire Qld.
Along came a couple.
The bloke stopped and talk to us.
The woman asked if she could fossick on our heap.
Sure.
Not long after.
Woman. "Is this a Sapphire"?
"Can I have it"?
My mates eyes popped...Mine also.
Yes lady it's a yellow Sapphire and yes you can have it.
"Thanks you both" She said as the stone disappeared into her pocket.
Next trip lots of barbed wire.. :D

Hey guys, just looking at some of your Sapphire Bombs and was wondering if you think these are Sapphire or just.......... pretty rocks. Have just been looking at some of the colours and they look sort of similar. Last 1 looks more like quartz to me but... hard to tell with all the colour types of Corundum.

Was great meeting everyone at GG the other day.

Colin&Lee thanks for your help and knowledge, much appreciated from Joe, Alex and I.

Thanks

1376989213_20130820_182032.jpg

1376989262_20130820_080153.jpg

1376989534_20130820_081219.jpg

1376989571_20130820_081654.jpg

1376989861_20130820_081412.jpg

1376989637_20130820_182105.jpg

G'day Heatho,

Was good to meet you guy's to. Unfortunately they don't look like anything to me mate the purpleish ones look interesting I'd hang onto them not sure what they are though ;) . Easy way to see if your stones are corundum is see if you can center them in the sieve with your other wash/stones if they don't go into the middle with your spinels then they aren't anything :( . Hopefully see you guys out that way again soon

Cheers

C&L

Hi Heatho, picture 1 and 5 looks promising . You can do a scratch test if you have a piece of corundum. If you can scratch the rocks with your piece sapphire then you'll know right away.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. The purlish one could be the led light, though interesting colour change. Will have to join the local Lapidiary club. :)

I was going to say, try and scratch them with a tungsten carbide "glass" drill bit, but a quick search on wikipedia informs me that TC has a hardness of 9 on Mohs scale!..umm that will not work.

any other suggestions?

You can totally discount my pics from this thread, just pretty rocks, pic 1 though I'm not sure about though.

Spinel has a hardness of 8, so I guess anything that scratches Spinel is interesting.

Hi everyone,

Been reading along for months now. We go to Eldorado and picked up three, I think they are not anything but asking to help us learn to ID.
Largest piece has periwinkle blue spots in it.
Medium piece light can be seen through the tip, it has streaks of ochre and blue.
Small piece, looks like a greenish yellow in light.

Not corrundum though?

Katie
1618119544_img_11042021_153216_1080_x_1080_pixel.jpg
1618119564_received_3824983500952520.jpg

Katie, go to someone and get a window polished so you can get some light coming through; the bottom pic I can see a fracture so I would slice the stone along that fracture; any lapidary club would likely do what you need for you. Depending where you are there maybe someone on here that is near you and most of us would help you out, if not all of us.

Latest posts