New member checking in.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I hope it's OK for me to be here as I live in the UK. However, in 2008/9 my husband and I did a year long Big Trip around Oz in a converted Toyota Coaster. Towards the end of our trip we spent several days in Rubyvale, visiting Willy's Wash to search of sapphires, rubies etc. We did find quite a few small chips of sapphire, zircon and ruby, but the highlight of our stay was a couple of sapphire bombs one of which was 132 carats. We had it cut in half and were pointed in the direction of a lady staying at the campsite in Sapphire who did wire-wrapping. She made both halves of the bomb into pendants, which I regularly wear - always reminding me of our visit to the gemfields.

Lesley,
Bedfordshire, UK

Welcome to PA, Lesley.

Your Aussie adventure tour sounds great and your Queensland gemfields prospecting experience must have been a highlight. Do you have any pics of those pendants that you could share with us?

Welcome to PA, Lesley.

Your Aussie adventure tour sounds great and your Queensland gemfields prospecting experience must have been a highlight. Do you have any pics of those pendants that you could share with us?
Thank you for the welcome, Grubstake. Yes it really was a great trip - we had a week in the opal fields at Lightning Ridge too, and managed to get more opals to add to my collection. As requested here are pics of the fronts and backs of my sapphire bombs, The original stone was about 3cm long by 2cm across.IMG_6110.JPGIMG_6111.JPG

Latest posts