Safety Equipment and training

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Victorian Central goldfields tips - carry water, 'phone, maps, compass, de-bogging gear, extra durries and lollies. If lost, walk down-hill to a road. You are never more than an hour's walk from a pub and a pie.

SAT PHONE and knowing which numbers to ring.
GPS with spare batts and a mobile UHF.
I carry all 3, but that is when I travel/fossick by myself.

You don't realise just how important it could be to carry a few balls of cotton wool in a watertight container and also a fire lighter, this will enable you to start a fire in most conditions. A small tube of superglue is another handy item as well. A sheet of plastic can be valuable in collecting water from many sources. For those who are new to these things, have a look at any of the survival presentations on you tube and get familiar with things in the wilderness, it could save your life as you never know when or where you may end up one day, completely on your own or with a friend yet far from any help.

G'day

Most of the essentials are already covered but here's a few I always have in my camelback

lifestraw
paracord bracelet
waterproof matches
heliograph
Razor-sharp knife
compass
torch
first aid kit

In the car I always have at least:

shovel
Snatch strap and shackles
Bogroll
20lt fuel
20lt water
Tarp
better first aid kit
dehydrated food

cheers

chimpy

Likewise Chimpy, it's great seeing people being prepared, I mean there may be one or two who may think it's such an overkill but it's better to be over prepared tan under prepared especially when travelling into the bush.

slowflow said:
Chimpy
Is it diy paracord bracelet, which knot please?
You could simply braid it onto a small carabina as well and just clip it onto your harness or backpack/camelback.

I managed to purchase 2 x 100ft, 550 7 core paracord, it's great stuff, can hold a couple of people if necessary, set up shelters etc. $14 for both lengths on fleaBay

G'day

Slowflow, I'm not sure of the knot. You could look it up but they are dirt cheap ready made on eBay and places like Aussie Disposals sell them.

Charlie, I need that gear because I'm more likely than most poor buggers to get into predicaments for some reason??? I had a look in the camelback today and noticed I'd omitted one of those silver 'space blankets'. Good kit. Everything is so compact and cheap these days there's really no reason to go out without at least some of the basics.

One thing I've had my eye on for a while is a survival/combat tool the US military are nuts over called a Crovel. Me wantee

http://www.gearupcenter.com/products/new-crovel-extreme-ii.html

The best safety advice is to let somebody know where you're going and when you intend to be back

Cheers

Chimpy

Nature own bush survival kit if you are seriously injured with no first aid kit.

SPIDERS WEB.
Natural coagulant will clot blood and stem bleeding by pushing it into the wound.
don't worry to much about infection as you are more concerned about your survival here.....chances of infection are pretty rare.
to collect.......open spaced trees for fresh web...rock crevices......caves......under loose bark on ground.

NATURES BAND AID
The sap from the bloodwood tree (hence the name) you most probable have all seen it at some time in the bush.
The blood coloured sap that forms in the fork of the tree.
It forms into big balls as it finds a flat spot in the fork.
inside that ball that looks like cracked glass is a thick sap blood red in colour.

This sap applied on both sides of the incission in the skin and then pressed together will act like stiches.
will also stop the bleeding.

MANUKA HONEY.
natures own antiseptic.
applied topically to an infected wound will cleanse the wound as well as kill all the anaerobic bacteria.
(Bacteria that thrives in a not oxygenated area.)
How it works
All bees honey as it breaks down from exposure to heat and sun light converts to natural hydrogen peroxide.
Hydrogen peroxide is H2o2 meaning H2o with one more oxygen molecule.
This inturn causes a chemical chain reaction producing pure oxygen which kills the anerobic bacteria.
CCR will only occure if there is Catolace present......this is an enzyme found in blood that has bacteria in it.

The reason Manuka honey is far better than ordinary honey is it can withstand exposure to sunlight for far longer than normal honey.

I use peroxide in my everyday job shoeing horses to clean out pockets of bacteria when draining an abscess in a horses hoof.

I have learnt most of this from my aunty Nelly a full blood aboriginal elder from my home town Wagga Wagga and I am as white as a merino sheep.
I don't think she was really my aunt just looked after us kids when we was kids.
My life long mate Paddy is an aboriginal Elder from Mudgee. He doesn't know shit but I just thought I'd throw that in.

I

thesmithy said:
Nature own bush survival kit if you are seriously injured with no first aid kit.

SPIDERS WEB.
Natural coagulant will clot blood and stem bleeding by pushing it into the wound.
don't worry to much about infection as you are more concerned about your survival here.....chances of infection are pretty rare.
to collect.......open spaced trees for fresh web...rock crevices......caves......under loose bark on ground.

I have learnt most of this from my aunty Nelly a full blood aboriginal elder from my home town Wagga Wagga and I am as white as a merino sheep.
I don't think she was really my aunt just looked after us kids when we was kids.
My life long mate Paddy is an aboriginal Elder from Mudgee. He doesn't know shit but I just thought I'd throw that in.

I

spiderweb for a wound dressing is interesting but i must remember not to stick my fingers in to pull up a web thats shaped like a funnel or tube . then i would be in the sh1t if Miss funnelweb was home.

the old fashioned octahedronal web in a tree would be a bit safer 8)

geez youre a funny bugga . thanks for the laughs

If you do a bit alone, you may want to consider buying a 2400 calorie MRE, these you can tape to a water bottle carrier so they don't take up any extra room, but in an emergency situation can provide, if rationed enough substance to keep you going for a few days.

Death is cheap, surviving costs you.

Oh, MRE, Meal Ration Emergency, bit like a bad museli bar, tastes like the tax system, not palatable, but will sustain you.

where is the cheapest place to buy MRE's ?

the ebay sellers and BCF charge 10 million bucks per pack

where is it cheaper ?

i heard costco sell them but couldnt find the stuff there , and quite frankly the quality of produce i got there in my first visit had me seeing red . felt like going back and asking for a $ 60 membership refund

i dont like those c**** :mad:

Can't go bush without a trusty Swiss Army Knife...

giant,knife,objects,swiss-777dec7bbd2d0e94d95033d44ac14403_h.jpg

It has all the following...

2.5" 60% Serrated locking blade
Nail file
Nail cleaner
Corkscrew
Adjustable pliers with wire crimper and cutter
Removable screwdriver bit adapter
2.5" Blade for Official World Scout Knife
Spring-loaded, locking needle-nose pliers with wire cutter
Removable screwdiver bit holder
Phillips head screwdriver bit 0
Phillips head screwdriver bit 1
Phillips head screwdriver bit 2
Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5mm x 3.5mm
Flat head screwdriver bit 0.6mm x 4.0mm
Flat head screwdriver bit 1.0mm x 6.5mm
Magnetized recessed bit holder
Double-cut wood saw with ruler
Chain rivet setter
Removable 5mm Allen wrench
Screwdriver for slotted and Phillips head screws
Removable tool for adjusting spokes
10mm Hexagonal key for nuts
Removalbe 4mm curved allen wrench with Phillips head screwdriver
Patented locking screwdriver
Universal wrench
2.4" Springless scissors with serrated self-sharpening design
1.65" Clip point utility blade
Phillips head screwdriver
2.5" Clip-point blade
Club face cleaner
2.4" Round tip blade
Cap lifter
Can opener
Shoe spike wrench
Divot tool
4mm Allen wrench
2.5" Blade
Fine metal file with precision screwdriver
Double-cut wood saw with ruler
Cupped cigar cutter with double honed edges
12/20-Guage choke tube tool
Watch caseback opening tool
Snap shackle
Mineral crystal magnifier
Compass
Straight edge, ruler (in./cm)
Telescopic pointer
Fish scaler
Hook disgorger
Line guide
Shortix laboratory key
Micro tool holder
Micro tool adapter
Micro scraper - straight
Micro scraper - curved
Laser pointer with 300 ft. range
Metal file
Metal saw
Flashlight
Micro tool holder
Phillips head screwdriver 1.5mm
Screwdriver 1.2mm
Screwdriver .8mm
Fine fork for watch spring bars
Reamer
Pin punch 1.2mm
Pin pinch .8mm
Round needle file
Removable tool holder with expandable receptacle
Removable tool holder
Special self-centering screwdriver for gunsights
Flat Phillips head screwdriver
Chisel-point reamer
Mineral crystal magnifier
Small ruler
Extension tool
Sping-loaded, locking flat nose needle-nose pliers
Removable screwdriver bit holder
Phillips head screwdriver bit 0
Phillips head screwdriver bit 1
Phillips head screwdriver bit 2
Flat head screwdriver bit 0.5mm x 3.5mm
Flat head screwdriver bit 0.6mm x 4.0mm
Flat head screwdriver bit 1.0mm x 6.5mm
Magnetized recessed bit holder
Tire tread gauge
Fiber optic tool holder
Can opener
Cap lifter
Wire stripper
Reamer
Awl
Toothpick
Tweezers
Key ring

As for the Paracord braclet mentioned before, they are really easy to make once you get the technique.
The trick is to cut the length of cord at least 3 times he length you want the finished product. Makes great keychains for those who have a habbit of losing theur car keys lol

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLV7rw76UP0[/video]

Not sure who you would use here, I tend to buy a bit form the USA, Geo suppliers are only a third of the price, so normally I just get buy some and get them in the package with what I need. Here, just go to the supermarket and look at the high carb muesli bars, would be a great substitute. Amazon does have them but I think the postage might not be economical. Aust army rat packs are too bulky, this is an emergency ration not to live on in the field. Check some of the gym food, carb bars, these are high in calories which is what you want, but avoid the protein only ones, you want the lowest GI bar you can find with the highest calories. I think woolies and coles do carry a high carb fitness bar, shelf life may not be good as an MRE, but for the sake of replacing one or two bars at $4.00 each every 12 months, small insurance.

Bris, Cupped Cigar Cutter with double hone edges....

Just what you need in an emergency, pull out a big stogie and start puffing away... lmao, rescue party can track the smoke signals

Cheers, Tone

TenOunce Tone said:
Bris, Cupped Cigar Cutter with double hone edges....

Just what you need in an emergency, pull out a big stogie and start puffing away... lmao, rescue party can track the smoke signals

Cheers, Tone
Thanks Tone but I dont smoke anymore. Sure miss those cigars though.

Latest posts