Safety Equipment and training

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleinman98

John Kleinman
Reaction score
I just thought I would set up this topic to see who has what out in the field. Some things we should all carry but how many of us actually do.
I carry a UHF portable CB
First Aid kit and extinguisher in the Prado
No locator yet
In need of a First Aid refresher.

Excellent idea kleinman98, I think far to many take far too greater risk. I personally run a staged system, depending on where I am going to be, that is on my person, the truck carries everything all the time, expect for the high end remote safety gear.

I also carry a tyre plug kit and air compressor wherever I go. In addition to the UHF, First Aid Kit, Water etc etc

I usually carry more than enough water but tend to get dehydrated due to a lack of regular consumption. So am thinking of investing in a 3litre camelback or a pack with one in it.

Recently been using spats, saves me getting out the f/aid kit for tweezers or sting-goes as much.

Been trying different gloves, but have not found a pair that I haven't flicked off yet.

Handheld radio, gps and fire lighting kit, TP.

Salt for leeches.

Fly net for sanity, but haven't needed to use it yet

Yep...definitely the pack with a camelback, I look like batman at this point in time and need to get some of my kit off the detector side of my belt.

Thanks for starting this topic......I was wondering what I would do with my ALDI detector spoils :D

Ben78 said:
I also carry a tyre plug kit and air compressor wherever I go. In addition to the UHF, First Aid Kit, Water etc etc
Yep me too. Picked up a tyre plug kit for $3.99 today

I tent to overdue it a fair bit (perhaps the prev job taught me too well)
First aid kit, Epirb, GPS, water, fly screen, DECENT TENT lol, small gas cooker, whistle, mirror, gaitors, Gerber tool, machette, mozzie spray, toilet paper,firelighter, survival kit, fire extinguisher, air pump with tyre plugs, spare batteries, torch, headight, lollies etc etc. As long as it doesn't get into my space for the things I really need, I'll take in with :D

4x4 = fire extinguisher, UHF, axe, shovel, air compressor, off road 1st aid kit (pays to check expiry dates and refresh every couple of years and replace what is used as soon as), tyre repair kit, sunscreen and 10 to 20 litres of Water.

Personal = 2l camelback, 3 fruit bars and 3 nut bars, enough toilet paper for a couple of 10-100s, PLB, GPS (always mark the vehicle as a waypoint before leaving it), head net, snake gaiters if deemed needed, matches or flint lighter, aeroguard, whistle, 2 setopress compression bandages and a mini 1st aid kit.

I can use the camelback with the detector harness. The rest I use a bum bag sits above the battery and pockets in auscam trousers.

I tend to work an area, then move on, so I could hang the camelback and bumbag on a tree, detect the area and then put back on before moving on. Not so good in heavy scrub sometimes so leave em on.

Obviously this is for solo detecting, if 2 or more people, then not all of the carry stuff may be needed. Or if very close to your vehicle.

The very best thing anyone can take into the bush detecting is - common sense

Hi all,

Great post, a couple of things I would add besides the obvious things listed above :) we always take enough tucker and water to last a couple of days, add spray bandage to your first aid kits, and buy good quality tyre repair kits, the cheapies will let you down :(

PS, We buy water in 10lt boxes, rip the cardboard off and stash them in the car, being fluid they fill little odd shaped spaces :) and I've never seen one break......

Jim & Kerrie

All good so far, I think a few might want to consider especially in summer, either as addition or replace a bottle of water or two, getting hydrolight, in the event of heat exhaustion, or food poisoning, or bad gastro etc, hydrolight is a far better solution then water. Even if your in a bad way and pass the hydrolight quickly, it's supplements are designed to be absorbed almost instantaneously, can mean the difference between a bad day and air evacuation.

A lot of good info here, but I think the most important thing has been overlooked. It might just be me but I think its not what you take with you that's the most important, but what you leave behind. 'TRIP DETAILS, WHERE, WHEN AND HOW LONG". That way if things go pear shaped, ie GPS, phone and all that type of stuff, there is always someone who is expecting you home and if you don't return they can sound the alarm.

willo1 said:
A lot of good info here, but I think the most important thing has been overlooked. It might just be me but I think its not what you take with you that's the most important, but what you leave behind. 'TRIP DETAILS, WHERE, WHEN AND HOW LONG". That way if things go pear shaped, ie GPS, phone and all that type of stuff, there is always someone who is expecting you home and if you don't return they can sound the alarm.

So - scenario - I was in the Karri track campground, no phone signal, by myself and on some days no one else there. Do you have any suggestion/s as to how I might do this?

I think it is a matter of determining whether or not your personal safety (your life) is worth the risk. In that scenario, I would say, Don't go. You already know that you have no phone service or that, and know one else is around. It's just a matter of common sense.

Latest posts