Safety Equipment and training

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water purification tablets - in addition to most of the above I also have some in my harness & some in the ute.

I use a Life Straw and a water filter pump as a standby for fresh water filtration. With the life straw you can drink from any water as long as not salt.
The Life Straw will filter out all the nasties so you dont need chemicals.

One carton of xxxx two pkts Winfield blue and one bic lighter......
From the brains trust Dd,Kd,Gr,Hs.......

Try to take a prospecting buddy!!
Snake bite kit,
some panadol/ibrufen,
stingoes,
pawpaw ointment, (help with cuts and grazes)
drinking water and food for consumption during the trip and extra food and water in the car,(couple of cans of baked beans and some H2O)
detailed map and directions (with google earth images of critical points), of my location at home, estimated time of return and check in
sun protection gear, (long sleeve shirt, rarely worn, hat, sunnies, spf 30.. )
Couple of torches... headmount and a couple of led magnetic jobbies.

I dont go far of the roads, but when I do get a true 4wd, I will have full self recovery and all the extras you can carry in a rescue box mounted on the roof.. No good to you when you cant open a door because your bogged or in a situation you cant get to the kit.

On the wishlist..

AMSA beacon, one that tracks your location and updates every 10 mins, preset message, or lash out and get the one you can send txt msg from...

Life straw. or similar

Cheers, Tone

BTW Condor22, if you are so far of the beaten track and have not told ANYONE where you are going, you are not looking after your self. If you are at a campground or anywhere for that matter, you can always call in the local cop shop/post office/fire office or local council and register with them that you are going "up the Karri Track" you expect to be back in 2 or 3 days.. contact number at home and mobile.. call them when you are back/out.. at least someone will be know where to start looking. This is "going bush" 101...

Cheers, Tone

20 litres of feul, 20 litres of water, food, compase, map, machete for the over growth of the bush and blackberries which apparently are not even a native weed, whos brilliant idea was that one, we'll use this to take car of that, that to take care of this, but now we have another problem, lets introduce something else, something completely out of the nature cycle of this country. Then you need first aid kit for snakes, hammer for the leeches, I have run out of feul before searching for new spots, fords have a bad feul estimater computer, walking is ten times harder out bush when trying to take short cuts, and you've used all the water. Buy decent tyres for the task you should be right with one spare.

Yeah there I think that the more of us, that get lost or come to grief, that apart from the personal loss, we all come under scrutiny.

Be wise I reackon

charlie123 said:
20 litres of feul, 20 litres of water, food, compase, map, machete for the over growth of the bush and blackberries which apparently are not even a native weed, whos brilliant idea was that one, we'll use this to take car of that, that to take care of this, but now we have another problem, lets introduce something else, something completely out of the nature cycle of this country. Then you need first aid kit for snakes, hammer for the leeches, I have run out of feul before searching for new spots, fords have a bad feul estimater computer, walking is ten times harder out bush when trying to take short cuts, and you've used all the water. Buy decent tyres for the task you should be right with one spare.

shall i check with the army if i can carry a bazooka or flamethrower for the leeches ?

do you reckon they would mind ?

there must be something more effective than just a 14 lb hammer or portable mother in law surely .

Jim. said:
Hi all,

Great post, a couple of things I would add besides the obvious things listed above :) we always take enough tucker and water to last a couple of days, add spray bandage to your first aid kits, and buy good quality tyre repair kits, the cheapies will let you down :(

PS, We buy water in 10lt boxes, rip the cardboard off and stash them in the car, being fluid they fill little odd shaped spaces :) and I've never seen one break......

Jim & Kerrie

thanks . never seen water in those plastic bags before , not a bad idea if they are durable

and whats this spray bandage ? . you mean spray on bandage ? ? never seen that either ? :eek:

charlie123 said:
I like the energy but The hammer is efficient

I find the hammer the most effective thing no matter what the situation, although I have never used as mother in law repellant, but weighing up its effectiveness elsewhere, one good swing with a crack hammer, would solve her nagging and bitching

Spray on bandage is excellent for small cuts, scrapes and grazes. It will also be of aid to deep gashes as an emergency measure to help the stem of blood flow while pressure is being applied. One of the main aims is to keep bacteria out and reduce the chances of infection. "Just like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy" :D

Village said:
charlie123 said:
I like the energy but The hammer is efficient

I find the hammer the most effective thing no matter what the situation, although I have never used as mother in law repellant, but weighing up its effectiveness elsewhere, one good swing with a crack hammer, would solve her nagging and bitching

what do you mean by crack hammer ? :eek:

where are you supposed to hit them with it ? 8)

Crack is the pleasant sound of your bone breaking but also knowing the leeche has a headache

just any situation. leeches don't bother me, they don't take much but the mother in law on the other hand, thats another subject

Crack Hammer, 16" Big blue, geology tool no 1. Rock picks, good if you want tennis elbow, crack hammer, one hit, one sample. Estwing

HeadsUp said:
Jim. said:
Hi all,

Great post, a couple of things I would add besides the obvious things listed above :) we always take enough tucker and water to last a couple of days, add spray bandage to your first aid kits, and buy good quality tyre repair kits, the cheapies will let you down :(

PS, We buy water in 10lt boxes, rip the cardboard off and stash them in the car, being fluid they fill little odd shaped spaces :) and I've never seen one break......

Jim & Kerrie

thanks . never seen water in those plastic bags before , not a bad idea if they are durable

and whats this spray bandage ? . you mean spray on bandage ? ? never seen that either ? :eek:
Yes both are available. Spray on wound dressing can be bought at the chemist and spring water in stackable boxes and woolies/coles

charlie123 said:
A bandage is supposd to restrict blood and venom, what will spray on do
Its meant to be used as an artificial skin for grazes etc.

Latest posts