Rocket launches LIVE.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1595846287_screenshot_20200727-203607_facebook.jpg

grubstake said:
The Chinese Mars mission will be very interesting to follow, as it's hugely ambitious to be trying for the three card trick: orbiter, lander and rover. Getting to Mars is the easy part, but slowing down a lander in the thin atmosphere while countering the weak gravity for an intact, on-target landing, has proven very tricky in the past and only NASA have consistently mastered the art. We'll never hear the end of it if the Chinese get it right first time.

They should get it right, they have probably borrowed (hacked) all the NASA information they need.

Blocker said:
They should get it right, they have probably borrowed (hacked) all the NASA information they need.

What a load of rubbish! China has always been banned from any participation in any international space programs because of American paranoia. I see many posts where Americans hope the Chinese missions will fail spectacularly.

I am more afraid of America militarizing space, specially with the current style of administration. No other country is doing this on such a scale.

I am for #TEAM SPACE. Love to see each and every mission succeed. It will improve so much for humanity.

End of rant.

Although I was being facetious, you're right, I should not have suggested China would steal another country's intellectual property.

Blocker said:
Although I was being facetious, you're right, I should not have suggested China would steal another country's intellectual property.

Yes because China would NEVER do that :lol: :lol:

Of course (probably a side affect of cabin fever). Interestingly (completely off topic) ,went looking for the plural and it turns out facetious is the plural of 'facetia' which has dropped out of usage. Never to old to learn!! By the way, luv rocket stuff.

Blocker said:
Of course (probably a side affect of cabin fever). Interestingly (completely off topic) ,went looking for the plural and it turns out facetious is the plural of 'facetia' which has dropped out of usage. Never to old to learn!! By the way, luv rocket stuff.

Well now ya made go and learn a new word! :eek: :argh: :8

More rocket stuff to follow.

NASA's Mars 2020 rover AKA Perseverance AKA Percy is expected to launch this evening Australian time. Weather is 80% favourable. Here is a link to Tim's, Everyday Astronaut, live stream. Going live about 8.30 PM NSW time.

This rover is a big step up from Curiosity. Built on a spare frame so similar in size but with many upgrades. 23 cameras including some to see the landing. A small "helicopter" to fly ahead and help plan routes etc. MOXI, an experimental device to create oxygen from the Martian atmosphere. This will not only be needed for humans to breathe but also to create fuel for returning to earth. The ability to collect and store core samples for later collection and return to earth.

This will be the 3rd Mars mission launched in the last few weeks.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/jcd7ePJ6nf8[/video]

Is 8.30 NSW time the same as QLD time RJ?... :lol: :playful:

With all the things I have going on here its hard to find time to keep up with all the news. there is so much..

So thank-you RJ for keeping us up-to-date.. :Y:

Have you read anything on of the idea of Tom Cruise going to the ISS to shoot a movie/doco in 2021?

Apparently NASA has given approval in Principle for this to go ahead.. but i can't find anything to confirm this....

LW...

With all the daylight savings time and QLD being 50 years behind I have no idea if NSW time is relevant anywhere else on the planet. :cool: :p

The Tom Cruise project seems interesting. Won't be filmed like any other movie. Apparently be flying in a Dragon capsule. Saw an article about it the other day. I'll try track it down.

Ramjet said:
With all the daylight savings time and QLD being 50 years behind I have no idea if NSW time is relevant anywhere else on the planet. :cool: :p

The Tom Cruise project seems interesting. Won't be filmed like any other movie. Apparently be flying in a Dragon capsule. Saw an article about it the other day. I'll try track it down.

Just joking RJ.... :playful: I knew you would have a good come-back... :lol: :lol:

Flying in a Dragon Capsule would suit TC very well... :lol:

A successful launch tonight... I hope we are off to Mars... I only watched the launch so I hope things go well for the remainder...

LW...

Latest posts