Rivers and Creeks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was walking along a creek bed in the G.T. on Sunday, when I saw a dirt wall on the side of a gully had collapsed, exposing this wash in the side. It could be a tributary coming into the creek. It's about 5 metres wide, and the deepest part of the wash is in the centre of it. There's no diggings above it, or anywhere near it. It's resting on a really hard layer of clay, which is shown in my pick marks. I detected it, and found no nuggets. Any ideas? Excuse the scrambled post. New computer. wiley
IMG_20230417_144109.jpgIMG_20230417_144109.jpg

What's the best way? Take out the wash just above the clay base? I don't know to much about panning. wiley.

That's probably the best place to try, yes. There's not a lot to it really, you're just looking for some colours in the pan to indicate that the wash is gold-bearing.

Have you got a decent size plastic gold pan you can use? Check out YouTube if you're feeling uncertain about the correct panning technique.

The old timers were certainly tough
Stacking rocks on the side of rivers
View attachment 9364
If you want to see stacked rocks check out the Turon River below Hill End in NSW.
The Chinese diggers re-routed the river and picked up all the rocks in the river bed, stacking them in long, well formed heaps
many metres long.There are several such stacks. They worked in organised crews so that the river bed was systematically cleared.
down to bedrock then they opened the river channel again so that it resumed its natural course.
While they might have got all the alluvial gold sitting there at that time, there is still gold to be panned as it keeps moving down stream.

I was walking along a creek bed in the G.T. on Sunday, when I saw a dirt wall on the side of a gully had collapsed, exposing this wash in the side. It could be a tributary coming into the creek. It's about 5 metres wide, and the deepest part of the wash is in the centre of it. There's no diggings above it, or anywhere near it. It's resting on a really hard layer of clay, which is shown in my pick marks. I detected it, and found no nuggets. Any ideas? Excuse the scrambled post. New computer. wiley
View attachment 9305View attachment 9305
Hello that's look real nice and i would be panning the river gravel above the clay layer

Latest posts