River / Stream Sluices - advice, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good result all round then mate good share of good times. I'm thinking it will be a long month. ...Nice show of colors love seeing it all come together keep us updated as you go. If you run the mesh the length just allow a bit of extra slick. You won't know yourself with a flare. :D

Goldtarget said:
Good result all round then mate good share of good times. I'm thinking it will be a long month. ...Nice show of colors love seeing it all come together keep us updated as you go. If you run the mesh the length just allow a bit of extra slick. You won't know yourself with a flare. :D

GT,
Yes a long time between trips.
Good news will be that I can make the mods needed.
1. get rid of the mat,
2. drop the mesh down to the end,
3. add a V mat with a hold down clamp, I was advised that Bunnings had a rubber mat with squared ribbing but all that they have is V mat with large dimensions so I will go with this.
4. then a flare from my mate, 400mm down to 300mm bolted,
5. together with a backpack that I have in mind, a Stanley fat max tool bag, I can walk in anytime.

The flare will give me around 400mm of slick before it hits the rubber/clamp, from there the difference in water transfer should prove well.

Will post photos before I head out to Tuena again which will be mid September.

Peter. :cool:

Hello all,
In my spare time this weekend I have made some mods to the RS.
1409468501_rs_version_3_without_mat_1_1024x768.jpg

I have dropped the mesh down to the bottom 600mm of the RS. At the existing top bolt points I have an extruded aluminium clamp to hold the V mat. This gives me a 420mm slick. The V mat is 160mm exposed and 320mm under the mesh.
1409468987_rs_version_3_without_mat_4_1024x768.jpg

Have added handles for the backpack.

Managed to sneak away last weekend to Tuena and struck next to nothing on the Saturday, but on Sunday a different story.
Ran the RS with the mat again, nothing in the mat on the first clean-up, mat retired early.
Running with the mat started to get colour, even crossed off some items off my bucket list.
Found my first gold above the mesh, :lol:
1409469276_gold_above_the_mesh_1_1024x768.jpg

Found my first clunker, if you were in the valley you would of heard me yell out, what a feeling. :D
1409469512_first_clunker_on_its_own_1024x768.jpg

Well next Saturday, I will be head out again to Tuena for the day to test these mods. Caught up with my mate today and asked about the flare, he cannot get one to me until the middle of the month. So I am going with this 420mm slick and see how this goes.

Peter. :cool:

Hey everybody hope the diggings are going well.

Just a quick question, what's the best sluice to get for around $100 and where do I get it from?

Haha tryed that but because it was wood it didn't last long, don't have the means for metal work. :(

I do on a weekly basies.

I sent Wal a message, I think he makes a few every now and the love the set up he's got.

Has anyone got or used the 30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice Box or similar?

They look sweet you don't have to classify you can pour 20lt buckets straight in to it.

G'day all, I would love some feedback on which sluice to buy and why it's the one to get as I'm undecided between the le trap and your standard alloy job with riffles miners moss etc just wondering is there a big difference or advantage between the 2 types look forward to some feedback which will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers mac.

Hey Mac,
Seriously have a look at the MacKirk range of sluices - they're the beezkneez!
Light, simple, fast to clean & catch ultra fine to large gold.
Bad reviews on them are rare as rocking horse poop :D

You can see straight away if you're onto the gold so most who use MacKirks dont even bother test panning.
Happy days

http://angusmackirk.com/

If just taking sluices then the Angus MacKirk range do the job really well, they do need a bit of water to ensure they work at their best.
A bit more expensive but worth it.
Preferably classify down a bit (say half inch, although they do handle larger stuff) and away you go, smaller 'pickers' will usually stay put in the 'feed' area with smaller stuff being caught in the first couple of riffles.
Just need to be careful when cleaning out as the amount of water pressure can be a deceptive.
The Boss or Foreman for good flows and good volume of material, smaller range for lower stream flows but then best to feed slower and classify smaller.
Should be a few videos of them in action, try a search.
Happy hunting, Tom

Well couldn't wait for the weekend so I shot up to blackwood for a couple of hours and yep I got some colour ,nothing great but I was suprised to see tiny specks after the clean out ,yep I'm happy with it ..
cheers all.

I'm selling my old sluice at the moment to get the markirk boss 2. I was looking at the bazooka sluice ( you can burn through the material no classifying) but have not heard back on shipping.

The boss 2 plus shipping is around $220 Aus from America and I haven't heard a bad thing, as you can tell from here.

Hope that helps.

:lol:

Latest posts