River / Stream Sluices - advice, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the ban on with the pumps in NSW, it seems it will be the trend. So I can only imagine everyone is going to be looking for a bit of flow and they will become the primary tool in the kit.
is there any new designs out there your tinkering with.
The back of the vehicle is now near empty without the pump, banker and hoses etc.
will this trend lead to a bigger river sluice?
Americans love "BIG"... In this principal I agree with a good size wide flare, or option to clip an extension on to make it catch more flow.
they have the advantage of some fast flowing water over there that we dont have in abundance!
So who has resorted to buying one lately under these #$ new interpretation of enforcement? :idea:
Tip!
Sediment catchment soxs, like what is used on the roads. About a meter long. (Not the sand bag hesh type) make a great water flow weir.
They come with pre sewn ties on the open, but I suggest using zip ties.
Very light, empty at the end of the day.

I'm thinking of getting one of those 8" Gold Rat sluices with the dream mat.

I've seen great reports re the fine gold and low flow performance of these sluices.

I'm starting to get serious withdrawal symptoms, with the HB and pump moldering away in the shed.

Problem is going to be flow as it is so dry at the moment.

While the sluice is not as convenient and flexible as the HB it is better than nothing, and more appropriate to poking about up and down stream.

These have been used by Qld prospectors for years...Not as fast as a large river sluice but you also dont need river flow ..You can do a 20ltr bucket In about 7 minutes...depending on fitness.
Compleatly leagle as it's a hand pump...And the pumping is easy .I think the retail around $650..Ready to go.Yobskin has a vid on here of him using it and you can work it much faster than he was on the vid...
1541983582_img_20181112_39811.jpg

Moderator Edit.
Many Thanks to Yobskin for his
ingenuity. :Y: :Y:
"Search " Rockin Yobskin. "
6 Months later, A few manufacturers have picked up on it.

Totally agree that with their light weight, one will be much more inclined to walk much further with one.
The quietness of them is a plus!
I think self classification units will take off.
Don't underestimate the 6" or even a customized 4" dream mat.
A good wide flare wil catch more water, enables a better volume of material to be put on the flare at one time.
then all that water going through 4"s! The water and material rockets through, Works a treat.
the 8" dream can be cut down the middle easily with care, to give you 2 x 36"s of 4" mat!
Make two units up or a serious 72" unit !!!!

Smoky bandit said:
These have been used by Qld prospectors for years...Not as fast as a large river sluice but you also dont need river flow ..You can do a 20ltr bucket In about 7 minutes...depending on fitness.
Compleatly leagle as it's a hand pump...And the pumping is easy .I think the retail around $650..Ready to go.Yobskin has a vid on here of him using it and you can work it much faster than he was on the vid...https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7289/1541983582_img_20181112_39811.jpg

Id give rocker boxs 6 years until they are also banned from those with no understanding on what they are, how they work, what they do, and the difference between that and a highbanker/dredge.
I can see it now. Rangers asking people to pack up and move on because they dont know what it is.
Sorry for not being optimistic

mudgee hunter said:
Got a thread for it smoky?
Just posted on tje threads to bring them up..I'm on my phone and dont know how to post a link..
Go to ....member meet ups....Rockin day out..
And The rockin yobskin Yehaaa. :Y:

Greglz86 said:
Smoky bandit said:
Compleatly leagle as it's a hand pump...And the pumping is easy .I think the retail around $650..Ready to go.Yobskin has a vid on here of him using it and you can work it much faster than he was on the vid...https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7289/1541983582_img_20181112_39811.jpg

Id give rocker boxs 6 years until they are also banned from those with no understanding on what they are, how they work, what they do, and the difference between that and a highbanker/dredge.
I can see it now. Rangers asking people to pack up and move on because they dont know what it is.
Sorry for not being optimistic
Qld inspector came to gympie just to see it working about 5yrs ago..Said totally legal and left...Its just an option for those interested. :Y:

I think with todays matting availability. The days of riffles, requiring an accurate flow/angle are going to phase out.
Simplicity is a key for no fuss running. ( opinion)

I seen a sluice the other day online, but can not find the link to it,

It was a great set up,

Had the sluice laying in the water , while the water went over the top part there was a bucket,

In the bucket was soil, small rocks etc etc,

At the bottom of the bucket there was a part that slides open and close,

So you can control how much paydirt went through,

The bucket could be adjusted forward or backward by a wire on both sides of the bucket, at the top,

Just wish I could find the link to it so you all could take a look at it,

Goody :)

That is the spirit and I have built a prototype with two bilge pumps on it.
Too scared to show the rough build but damn it works well.
Very, Very efficient and you can stand there all day and rock away without
having to look like Arnie all the time.
Get into the idea's people.
Bring it on. :) :)
Mark 11 is coming soon when I settle a few personal things down my way.
Oh, For stuffs sake, DON'T muddy the water stream or what ever and
PLEASE, Do your tidying before leaving.
Other wise, I and other's will come after you with a freaking BIG Stick. LOL
(That is actually a legal requirement and it is the right thing to do. :Y: :Y: )

Smoky bandit said:

Have seen a walbanker used quite efficiently bucketing in water. While not ideal you do have the advantage of not needing flowing water thus not limiting where you set up. Transporting dirt to sluice over distance is tragic.

I see portable dams with a race opening becoming popular. Like the oldtimers, stockpile and then open the race and shovel like mad.

Latest posts