Researching gold areas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am heading down to the GT in May and I am researching areas to check out.
My dilemma is what type of areas to research, places where reef gold was mined, deep lead areas or shallow diggings.
Another question is we're the shallow digging you find on the goldfields like deep leads but just shallower.
Probably a silly question but any advice to help my research would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Mark

Have a read of this Rockerfella , hopefully the link works . Its quite comprehensive but worth read to help understand how gold was created and moved around. . It names Ballarat but the principles are the same elsewhere.
But to keep it simple id be searching for shallow ground and surfaced areas. Sometimes just the names used for areas will provide a clue.. example .. Petty coat flat was used at times for shallow diggings because it was comon to see females working the area as there wasnt much digging involved , or surface hill , nuggety gully or flat etc .

Gaz

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...ds.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEOmzXQPPyYleBT1qNm_dCicAq6VQ

rockerfella said:
Hi guys,
I am heading down to the GT in May and I am researching areas to check out.
My dilemma is what type of areas to research, places where reef gold was mined, deep lead areas or shallow diggings.
Another question is we're the shallow digging you find on the goldfields like deep leads but just shallower.
Probably a silly question but any advice to help my research would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Mark

Where abouts in the GT are you considering rockerfella, the GT is a large area

If you could narrow it down more people might offer some advice.

Hi All
Many thanks Gary O, RM outback,Old Hand and silver, great stuff to follow up. I really do appreciate your help.
I'm starting at Heathcote for a few days then on to Maryborough for a few days and then another week I'm not sure of yet, More research will determine next move or I might stay in the Maryborough area, not sure,.
Many thanks again gents
Kind regards
Mark