reef gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
heres what i got out of a reef i found down a mine so far by crushing it :D

2d4a11ec.jpg

P1030273_zps57e82f76.jpg

b250a418.jpg

Nugget said:
Your keen mate going down there lol
yeah i know pritty keen when i was 13 going down mines exploreing but little i know that one of the mines i used to go down when i was youger had a reef of gold in it till 8 weeks ago when i decided to chip a bit of quart out of the wall eyes allmost poped out of my head when i found a small nuget i wasent expecting to even find gold in a old mine about 60ms down :eek:

Wow that is awesome Hunting The Yellow :D It's amazing once you were down there, what you pulled out. Be good to see how you go with the rest :)

We have found a nugget that still had quartz attached to it :) They are all so unique in their natural form :) Well done once again

Thanks but i think i need a bit more of a bang to get the rest of it out as i only use a cold chezel and hammer to get it out of the host rock witch is slate :)

Curiousity how do you test the air before going down. This & collaspe would have to be the biggest dangers & I'd be thinking air quality isn't easy to test prior to entering. Collaspe I'd be thinking can be a little easier to see some of signs of possablity. Carbon monoxide can't be seen, I know the old timers used candles sometimes, if the candle went out there is not enough air. But this had it's dangers too as some gasses were explosive.

dave14110 said:
Curiousity how do you test the air before going down. This & collaspe would have to be the biggest dangers & I'd be thinking air quality isn't easy to test prior to entering. Collaspe I'd be thinking can be a little easier to see some of signs of possablity. Carbon monoxide can't be seen, I know the old timers used candles sometimes, if the candle went out there is not enough air. But this had it's dangers too as some gasses were explosive.
well i do a few tests before going down them th first is i take with me a small rat or mouse that i catch myself in a padock under some old peaces of steel then i put them in a small bucket then i hold my breath and i put it deep in the mine i come back to it in about harf an hour and if its dead i come back out if its still fine and well i just let it go and then i light a candle just to make shore like the old timers did and if the candle gos out i get out but most of the mines i have been in are safe of gas and stale air now about the roof and walls i get a long light steel poll about 2metues and hit the roof all along the mine/tunnel if it sounds hollow i do not go furver and what do i do if i go into a tunnel and it has watter in it i shovel the mud and rock away from the frount of the tunnel then i wait about 20mins to 2 hours depending on how long the tunnel is and how much water there is then when its drained i go in with gum boots and a heavy steel poll and hit it on the floor every 2 feet or so to make shore theres no false floor like a shaft covered with old rotton boads and then i do all the checks that i said above :) before i enter it

fairly basic tests then. ever thought of getting a Gas Monitor know they aren't cheap but could be worth looking at.
Do you or have you been in any that are vertical shafts. Seen plenty of those that look very deep.

dave14110 said:
fairly basic tests then. ever thought of getting a Gas Monitor know they aren't cheap but could be worth looking at.
Do you or have you been in any that are vertical shafts. Seen plenty of those that look very deep.
yeah i have but i do the tests slightly difrent and am hopeing to buy a gas monitor some time in the near future

nearly came to grief myself and a mate exploring mount mcdonalds old mine shafts got down maybe 30 feet to the bottom all ok
stevy was a bit of a girl back then as luck would have it that saved me three feet into the shaft sulphur fumes got the best of me
thanks to a frightened mate who saved my ass not worth some one dying for what might be down there

Nice to see some reef gold.

Sounds a bit risky any way you look at it. If you are going down that shaft again I would be thinking about some simple ventilation like the old opal miners used to use at Lightning Ridge.

Latest posts