Good to be here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day everyone.

Myself and my two boys have been exploring old mullock heaps, quartz reefs and old shafts for the last couple of years chasing some hints of yellow. A great way to learn the history and hard work by those before us.

Always looking to learn and share knowledge along the way.

Having collected a fair amount of hard rock I have taken an interest in crushing ore and my current project is a rotary crusher. Initially intended to be portable but slightly overbuilt due to utilizing offcuts around my shed. Currently setup with M14*1.5 to suit a cordless grinder but thinking of using a 4 stroke Honda whipper snipper motor to power in the future.

So far it makes very light work of pulverizing quartz down to powder.

Regards

Tim

Attachments

• PXL_20240315_055716602.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240315_055716602.MP.jpg
    11.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240315_074235849.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240315_074235849.MP.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240316_021912669.jpg
    PXL_20240316_021912669.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to PA, Tim & family. Sounds like you've got your boys on the right path in the great Aussie outdoors, away from screens and video games.

There's a bunch of creative people here who like nothing better than tinkering in their sheds and making stuff themselves out of old bits and pieces, so I reckon you'll fit in really well!

Welcome to PA, Tim & family. Sounds like you've got your boys on the right path in the great Aussie outdoors, away from screens and video games.

There's a bunch of creative people here who like nothing better than tinkering in their sheds and making stuff themselves out of old bits and pieces, so I reckon you'll fit in really well!
Thanks grubstake, it's an uphill battle with the way the world is going but at least if I can show them what the world is like outside then I might have half a chance of raising some well-grounded young people.
I like that sandwich design, simple but elegant.
Definitely simple and modular so that I can refine the design without wasting too much metal. Having given it a good run this morning I have identified the need for an easier access to the crushing chamber via an inspection port and the main barrel is going under the laser to cut a rectangle opening where I currently have 5mm perforations for the crushed material to be ejected. I need to add some BIS450 impact strips onto the bow shackles and possible some hard facing runs across the inside of the barrel for extra agitation of material as I am running water through this to eliminate the dust.

This crusher is a little heavy for field trips but I can see good potential for it setup over a cleanup sluice for a continuous run of ore in the future.
Another thought is a version with 6" medium pipe for field testing samples that would be much lighter. This current unit is built around 10" pipe with 1/2" wall with 10mm end plates and just a tad over engineered.

If all this works out then it could make a nice bolt together kit with minimal actual fabrication besides the inlet spout.

Latest posts