Reedy Creek Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Matt, you recall correctly, the Wallaby mine is in Stanley, just out of Beechworth and you pass through Silver Creek on the way there from Beechworth. It was a gold mine, quite rich in places and one of a series of important gold mines along a highly mineralised area. There are many other mines around the Wallaby, including the Rechabite, Kingston, Kerry Eagle and Homeward Bound - all very interesting to visit. The old battery is still there below the Wallaby open cut, though it has suffered through bushfire and the timbers are not original. Would be happy to show you around.

There is a there is also a Wombat Mine in the region. It is an area next to Reedy Creek, just a little way out of Eldorado along the Woolshed Rd, on the opposite side of the creek to where the township of Napoleon once existed. There are a number of shafts there which were dug during the depression years and produced quite well, but some of the best gold couldn't be got due to issues with water.

Cheers

Chris

Latest posts