Reedy Creek Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out over last weekend for a dig, glad to report the walbanker works a treat!

I invited a mate along to have a crack at some nice gold I've been digging lately and this is what he dug out of my hole! I nearly cried when I saw it in his sluice, the biggest piece I've seen come out to date was only 0.16g and this little beauty went 0.60g

My Saturday tally of gold came to 1.19g

Sunday I had another mate come out, this time we worked together for 2.82g, split down the middle we both ended up with 1.41g for a days digging.

These next couple of photos are of the coarser stuff from Sunday's total, there really is some nice coarse gold, just takes some finding!!

Cheers
Adam

Awesome stuff, still some nuggets left up there, my eyes would have popped too seeing those in the sluice. Petrol and a six pack covered is always nice too.

very nice, I love nothing more than sluicing the whole day and all I have to do is find 1 little piece of gold and it makes it all worth while to me

Looks like beechworth gold to me I guess reedy creek that goes through eldorado.
Iv spent a bit of time around that area and dug some nice 0.1 's

Hunting the yellow said:
well the corect name for the creek at beachworth is called reidy creek not reedy creek but anyway i supose it dosen't really matter :)

Interesting , if you search for Reidy Creek , you get this

1393297126_reedycreek.jpg

I think if you do your research it may have also been know at one stage as Reids Creek, named after David Reid who was the original lease holder on quite a sizeable piece of land including the creek in question.

Over the years it has been known as Reids, Reidy, Reedy and I believe even Reeds Creek. If you google search for any of these you will find reference to any or all of these names relating to the Beechworth \ Eldorado alluvial gold bearing creek.

You will also find many different maps of the area and again the naming on these maps does differ depending on the publisher or age of the maps.

Aside from this, as Heatho quite correctly mentioned, Reedy Creek (or other derivaties as mentioned above) is a relatively common creek name, but also don't forget the townships of Reedy Creek, one of which resides between Broadford and Flowerdale here in Victoria, and at least one other that I know of up in QLD just west of Burleigh Heads.

I have been there a he'll of a lot and found nothing like that. I have tried a few different places. Is that from deep down or surface? In the creek or in the banks? I ask because that's a bloody good haul for what I get.

Is it worth detecting in the area?

Interesting the way places change their names and old locality names fade away. I can shed some light on the Reedy Creek name.
A big chunk of the gold field from Eldorado to Wooragee and including Beechworth, lay on the Carraragarmungee run (don't try saying that fast after a few beers). The lease was actually held by Agnes Reid for her sons (David Reid included). In her lease application, filed four years before the discovery of gold in the region, the proposed boundaries of the lease were described using various landmarks, including Reedy Creek, which was mentioned by that name no less than four times.
Hence, the Reedy Creek name precedes the Reids and the similarity of the names was merely a coincidence, though it would lead to much confusion over the years.
As has been suggested above, the creek and its tributaries have been described by various other names over the years, including Woolshed Creek, Eldorado Creek, Ready Creek and Read's Creek. Reidy creek is a relatively modern confusion. However, it is still officially gazetted as Reedy Creek.
The creek was first opened up by miners moving downstream along Spring Creek from Beechworth (which itself went through several name changes from Mayday Hills to Spring Creek and finally Beechworth) to where Spring Creek joins Reedy Creek just above Woolshed falls. On its journey, Spring Creek falls over Newtown falls in Beechworth and then through a second set of falls known as The Cascades. The rich alluvial area from between The Cascades and Woolshed falls was known as the Reid's Creek diggings, with the name applying to the locality and township that sprung up there, as well as to the creek itself. In the majority of the historical references, when miners refer to Reids Creek, they are describing the locality along this section of Spring Creek. Officially, this stretch remains Spring Creek today. The township of Reid's Creek stretched along this section of Spring Creek, but was mainly located towards the intersection of the Woolshed road and the Chiltern Rd. Adding to the confusion, the Reids Creek Post office was officially called the Reidford Post Office as there was already a Reids Creek post office elsewhere. The Reid's Creek cemetery was on the block of land on the other side of this intersection where some holiday cabins are now located.
The area below Woolshed falls was known as The Woolshed due to the presence of a roughly constructed shearing shed that had been built by another squatter (William Cropper) who, while droving a big mob of sheep though the area, needed to shear his sheep en-route. The township of Woolshed was located a little further down the valley near Native Dog Peak. There were at least three other distinct townships along the road to Eldorado, including Devil's Elbow, Sebastapol and Napoleon.
Sorry waffled on a little there. BTW, Those are some great pieces and much larger than the typical gold out of Reedy Creek You have a good spot!

Thanks for that DiggerDom,

I absolutely love that whole area. All your info sheds a lot of light on the whole mining scene back in the day. I am planning a family holiday up there in July and plan to hit 'Reedy Creek' for at least a day.
I see your out at Stanley, is that near the 'Wallaby mine' or was it 'Wombat mine' just out of Silver creek if I remember correctly. Did they mine gold there or silver? I remember the old crusher was still there about 10 years ago.

Cheers,
Matt

Latest posts