Recreational metal detecting at Mindil Beach in Darwin NT.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon_49

Simon J Kormendy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A mate and I are thinking of trying some recreational metal detecting at Mindil Beach here in Darwin NT Australia, now before we go ahead and do so, I would like to find out if there are some NT government laws and Darwin council by-laws that I might have to abide by, also I need to know who to talk to to get permission to do any metal detecting, reason being is that I don't want to end up copping a big fine, I'd rather do the right thing.

https://fossicking.nt.gov.au/useful-information/useful-resources#2

Lot of info there but it relates to fossicking - gold, gems, etc. Not really relevant but it has contact numbers and they may be able to put you onto who you need to speak to.

Usually the local council is the authority that covers by-laws of this nature but I can't find anything when searching the Darwin Shire website.

There should be a few coins and things laying around on Mindil beach with all the tourists watching the sunset there.Have fun Simon.

There is a prospecting the territory site on Facebook with a guy who specializes in the beaches and parks around Darwin, very keen and he gets some good finds.

davent said:
There is a prospecting the territory site on Facebook with a guy who specializes in the beaches and parks around Darwin, very keen and he gets some good finds.

Cheers mate, since I happen to be on facebook I'll have to look into that, could turn out to be quite interesting and fun.

I did the amphitheater there many years ago, after getting permission. Got $600 over 5 days. :D
Mindil Beach is open slather though ! :Y:

Rick

davent said:

Had a quick look on facebook and I think I found it, sent a request to join the group, and waiting for a response from the administrators, cheers mate much appreciated.

Got talking to a guy at the sunset bar in Karumba in July who told me he detected Menindl some time earlier in his trip.
He said he got a couple of grand in a week, how true it is I don't know.
Cheers
Mick

So Mindil Beach looks like it could be a good place for me to start metal detecting, if do end up finding some things of value, I'll make sure I post some pics of my finds.

Latest posts