Reading the ground using Google Earth...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to detecting and have only ever been out once, which was a couple of weekends ago to Heathcote. I bought a Doug Stone metal detecting map and after reading a few things about the general area, I pretty much picked a spot using the map I bought and what I could see using Google Earth. I have read a few things about what to look for regarding choosing your spot, but I'm still a little unsure.

So I've attached a photo I pulled from Google Earth just of a general area in Bendigo which I think may be a good place to start detecting because of the change in colour of ground (red and sandy white looking) from the surrounding ground, but would like some advice from the more experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum whether I'm on the right track in what I'm looking for using Google Earth or I'm way off the mark.

1418089215_screenshot_2014-12-09-10-37-51.jpg

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Gday Doc,
Not real familiar with the Bendigo area but maybe I can help. Im assuming that you have done some research on the area in your photo and that its in an area that has shown gold in the past?
There looks to be a couple of roads or tracks nearby so getting to it should be a doddle, just make sure its not on private property or someones elses mining lease.
Its always worth checking areas that look promising, worst case senario is that you rule out that area as barren.
Couldnt hurt to brush up on some basic geology to help you identify signs of where gold might be.
Most importantly have fun out there in the bush.
TGW

Hey TGW, thanks for the feedback mate.

Yes the area has shown gold in the past and it's definitely not private property. But I was more or less using that screen shot as to ask about the changes in ground colour and if that's what I should be looking for in general as a good place to park the car and start working.

I'm not necessarily going to go and hunt at that particular spot, but more just a general question about the changing ground.

Does the changing ground like in that photo matter when looking for a place to detect, or does it not really matter and because the general area has produced gold before, it wouldn't matter if I was hunting around that patch, or a few km's away in the thicker scrub with more consistent ground?

Hi Doc, that looks to me like Sandfly Gully, just above Scotsmans Road.

I had a look around there a few years back but didn't detect. We stopped for lunch just above it [ top of the track
which goes diagonally up on LHS]
from memory it was all exposed rock, hard as concrete.
Sandfly reef is not far to the west.

Theres a place like that in the welsford I look at using g maps that you just reminded me of, I too liked the look of the differing terrain, white hills was so named for good reason!

Redfin said:
Hi Doc, that looks to me like Sandfly Gully, just above Scotsmans Road.

I had a look around there a few years back but didn't detect. We stopped for lunch just above it [ top of the track
which goes diagonally up on LHS]
from memory it was all exposed rock, hard as concrete.
Sandfly reef is not far to the west.

I tell you what, you are good. That's exactly the position where I pulled this screen shot from.

So, from your comments, given the changing ground conditions (as I was just using that photo as an example) finding places that look like that, wouldn't be any better than an area with consistant colour?

In regards to the photo, I just noticed that at the bottom of the patch, the ground turns really red and to the right is a white sandy looking soil.

As well as other factors, is this one of the things I'm supposed to be looking for when looking for ground to detect or have I got it all wrong?

Sorry if I sound stupid, just trying to get as much info as I can on what ground to look for, before I waste a day on ground that's never and will never produce gold.

EDIT: Sorry Redfin, I totally mis-read your post and for some reason thought you said you "DID" detect the area.

Is that an area thats been surfaced?

Or is it a spot that is shallow....bedrock is close to the surface and not much grows on it?

Reason i ask is if its been surfaced it might be a good spot for an SDC2300 as its nice and shallow.

They are the type of conditions that im attracted to......but im most likely wrong as im new to this.

I'm not sure LC76, as I've never been there before.

I was just having a general look around the Bendigo area on Google earth as I'm going there this weekend and came across a few places that looked like what's in the photo.

I just want to know if there is anything I should be looking for regarding the ground when looking at particular areas using Google Earth.

Spot on Doc....color change is exactly what you should be looking for but more importantly why it exists as LC76 points out?

Google Earth is a great way to do this, then expand your research of areas you like and try to get as much historical info as you can.

Use the elevation levels available in GE also.....You are on the right path mate!

;)

Identify some 'interesting' looking spots and try and research them, then hit the ground running and look at them.
It will all fall into place.
If you are particularly interest in the area go to the library and read/order in 'Tales of the Whipstick" by William Perry.
Good read.

Well that's definitely good to hear that I'm on the right track Metamorphic.

In regards to elevation levels, what exactly should I be looking for in regards to the patch of ground in the photo above?

Thanks for the info Redfin, I may just have to do that.

I guess with only being able to go out once every weekend, I should probably pick one spot, do as much research on that particular area as I can, and stick with that area for a while.

Just have to pick that one spot first. ;)

Thats it. Years ago on wet days that is all we did for 8 hours, drive tracks and make notes of likely spots to visit another day.

You should be happy with once every weekend, lots can only get out once a month or less, or have to drive 100's of miles.

We have met / meet prospectors from all over Australia and the world, that come to the GT for a detect and look/see.

We are privileged indeed.

Latest posts