Re-designing your life plans.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, we continue to move forward, the amputation site has healed well and we have finally gotten the wife into shoes, something she hasn't been able to do for nearly two years. We were very fortunate to be helped by the Louisa Da Costa Trust and the shoes and orthotics cost us $300, total account was $1175. This trust does wonderful work with people who have mobility issues in SA.

The wife is a terrible claustrophobic and has to undergo an MRI on Monday, this combined with her erratic movements means a small general anaesthetic to have the procedure. From there on it's just a couple of check ups and then to hospital on the 24th July for the surgery on the 25th.

More anxiety about the MRI than the brain surgery, counting the days down, as she says it will be like a new beginning and she is hoping she'll recover quickly enough to have the knee replaced in Oct/Nov so she can start 2019 fresh and raring to go.

As I sit here writing this my detector sits forlornly in the corner waiting to be used, ah well 2019 will be the year of travel and relic hunting, meanwhile I enjoy immensely reading this forum and continue to see everyone's inspiring stories.
Cheers
Manpa

I wish you and Wifey all the very best for now and what's ahead, sending lots of online hugs to you both.
One step at a time, stay tough, cookies. :)

Hey mate, I feel like I know you already, with only a chat on the phone :Y: and our almost private Aussie History competition :p
Small steps, great that she can get about a bit, love some of those anaesthetics, woohoo, she might be nervous but she'll be relaxed and happy, good start.
We might be in SA in October for a week or so, maybe dust of the tector then,
Do you still have my number, I can give you a bit of info about different systems used for knee replacements.
Let us know how she goes on Monday :) :Y:

Ma n Pa
What a terrible turn of events but so glad things are progressing and you both have such strong and positive spirits. My thoughts are with you. All the very best with the brain surgery.

Manpa, we wish you all the very best for those scary coming months.

To all you other guys and girls out there, BW said it all. There's a message in there for us all if we recognise it. Many of us are in the later half of life and very likely later in life than we realise.

When we first retired with debt exceding $300,000, the fibreglass guy behind me, exactly the same age as me, said "I wish I could do the same". The guy owned his home and industrial property and died of a sudden heart atack before we got back home. He missed his opportunity, not because he couldn't but because he put it off for too long. His wife who likely kept the presure on for him to save for their retirement now lives alone.

We simply don't have a crystal ball so what are we waiting for? Most of us live in debt because of things we purchase that we could easily do without. Some of us work to put things away for the kids, why, they've got plenty of time ahead.

Get out there and do the best you can in the time you have left. You don't know how long that is.

I was saying to my wife during a philosophical discussion about life, just last night, that we look down on a trail of ants, going back and forth, and say what makes them do that. I said to her that I feel like I'm a little ant. Every morning joining the car trail, covering the same trail to work as I do every day, and then the same trail back home again each night. I'm truly starting to question why am I, and the rest of us, doing the same thing as little ants. Surely we're more intelligent than little ants. It doesn't seem so.
I'm truly inspired by this thread, even though it has terrible woes, to truly ponder what are we doing; and what's a better way. I hear what a lot of you are saying, but need to find a way to break away from the grind before I'm forced to with no options.

Debt ? Debt ? and Debt will grind you to the grave, as to service it means one must be relentless in earning. You become it's slave. If you have a debt ............ look at the interest this costs you monthly and then think of what lifestyle that same amount would allow you to live :(
To Quote MB Get out there and do the best you can in the time you have left. You don't know how long that is. today may indeed be that very day :eek:

Not to get too philosophical but I think many of us live our lives to other people's expectations, yes I probably fell in to that trap. I can honestly say that since retiring early last year, even under the circumstance of needing to care for the wife I have never been happier.
I have no expectation of what the day will bring, every day is different, some busy, some relaxed but now we march to our own drum. No longer are we tied to any particular day to do things, if we don't feel up to it, we let it slide, tomorrow is another day. Any major projects don't need to be rushed into a weekend or holidays.
All the little tasks which were often left now get done, we were very house proud but with different priorities now if the place gets a little messy and someone is coming by, so be it, we have come to learn it's a home not a house.
We are lucky to have supportive family and friends who know that there will be occasions we can't make functions or just don't want to catch up, some days it's just to taxing for the wife.
We all have family and friends who have been touched by illness and poor health and all we can do is offer support and empathy and be tolerant of any decisions they make, as they are often made in their best interests.
Celebrate life to the best of your abilities and try and remain positive but if you need help, ask, someone will help even if just to offer an ear so you can get it all off your chest.
If finances or circumstances dictate your need to work I hope you are one day able to achieve your goals and enjoy the fruits of your hard earned labours.

Well the wife got through her MRI today with flying colours, the staff were wonderful and understood her limitations and claustrophobia fears. A couple of Valium before the procedure combined with the very cradling pillows etc that they used and a very special face and head mask fitted with some strategically placed mirrors which allowed her to see outside of the MRI was very calming.
That is the last hurdle before surgery next month.
30 days and counting.

What an inspiring story of overcoming adversity Manpa, my prayers go out to you and your wife for the best possible outcome for her surgery in July. All the best for your many detecting and relic hunting trips to come in the near future. :Y:

Sadly last night I posted about my dear Ol dad being on his last legs and his vegetable gardens over the years, just an hour later we were summoned to the hospital. The family managed to gather together for our farewells before he passed peacefully just after midnight.
It has been a tough two years for him but heaven just gained a hell of a gardener.
The next week will be one of varied emotions.

Latest posts