Re-designing your life plans.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like most working men and women in Australia was conditioned to work until 65, it was just what you did. We were what you would call a typical family, mum, dad and three kids, we travelled with our kids, were involved in their sports clubs, watched them grow into the well balanced adults that they are. In 2008 my wife had a shoulder reconstruction and her recovery was a real hard slog, unusual for a woman who had been very active and healthy all her life. In 2009 I noticed some changes in her walk and stature that I could not attribute to her recovery from her earlier surgery, gently broaching the subject with Lorraine and suggesting we investigate further within weeks we had a diagnosis of Parkinsons Disease at age 47.
Suddenly you begin to assess your life and your priorities. Every Parkinsons sufferer has different symptons and the disease progresses at different paces, medications become a constant juggle. Short term our world was turned upside down not knowing what the future would hold.
Jump forward eight years and my employer of 23 plus years was sold internationally and I made the decision to retire at 56, we had planned for Sept 2018 so I was 20 months ahead of schedule. I did not want to work for my competitor of 35 years and Lorraine's Parkinsons had progressed to a point where she was nearing retirement as well, a decision she made mid 2017.
Has retirement been what we expected, yes and no, we've managed to do three short trips in the CT and one other we had pre booked before retirement.
We now enter the next phase as we we see the neurosurgeon this week to confirm dates hopefully for Lorraine to undergo Deep Brain Stimulation surgery for her Parkinson, in effect the treatment is two electrodes implanted into the brain with a rechargeable battery pack placed just below the collar bone which can be tuned to control her symptons, relieve the stiffness and muscle rigidity, reduce the involuntary arm,leg and head movements, stop the weight loss ( over 32kg ) and help with sleep. Often asked if she is worried about the operation, she replies yes, but I'm more worried about not having it and what the future holds.
Hopefully we will be scheduled in the next two months, we are thankful for private health as the public system only performs 6 of these operations a year. Recovery will be nearly three months and then there is the need for a total knee replacement which the surgeons will not do until the DBS has been performed. The next twelve months will curtail our plans to travel this great country but we will get there.
Humour and a great attitude have carried us through this and will continue to do so, we often reflect on the fact that in the same month Lorraine was diagnosed two of our friends were diagnosed with breast cancer, sadly neither survived.
Can we do everything financially that we wanted to do, no, but it doesn't really matter, we have a good family, good friends and will do the best we can with what we've got.
I suppose the reason behind this long winded story is to say no matter how well you plan, life will throw up challenges, you adapt, re-design, tinker at the edges and move on. We look forward to the next phase of our life.

Gees Pa!
Firstly I want to say that I pray that all goes well for you both.
Secondly,thank you telling us your very personal family story, I don't know how I would cope, so more power to both.
I have said before that I once read" most people work very hard all their lives to enjoy a good retirement only to find when they get there that health issues doesn't allow it".
Prayers are with you, Lorraine especially and the rest of the family.
Regards
Maccka and Family

All the Best Manpa to you and your wife and family.
You are right we just don't know what life throws at us, but you have a great attitude and it will hold you in good stead for whatever the future holds for you.
I wish you nothing but good things for the future.

Sorry to hear that Manpa. I like you think we all have tests put on us whether it be Mental, Financial, Physical. We have to as you say re-design, adapt to the test if you want to live as you would like to.
This is a great topic for probably the Forum membership to think about as most of us aren't youngsters. Probably all near or approaching retirement and needing to think of the quickly approaching future. By geez it comes up faster than you can think.
Regards Jaros and Carolyn. :Y:

Jaros said:
Sorry to hear that Manpa. I like you think we all have tests put on us whether it be Mental, Financial, Physical. We have to as you say re-design, adapt to the test if you want to live as you would like to.
This is a great topic for probably the Forum membership to think about as most of us aren't youngsters. Probably all near or approaching retirement and needing to think of the quickly approaching future. By geez it comes up faster than you can think.
Regards Jaros and Carolyn. :Y:
I think everyone is well intentioned and wants to provide for their own futures and enjoy retirement but I often wonder what we sacrifice working long hours, sometimes away from our families for extended periods.
It seems life should be reversed, maybe we should all travel or pursue our life's dreams in our early adulthood.
In saying that, I don't regret anything we have done, we both enjoyed the times spent with family and friends, enjoyed our working lives and I'm sure once we jump this hurdle we will enjoy our retirement and the fellowship of other travellers.
As they say it's a great life if you don't weaken and there a far more out there doing it far tougher than us. :)

One of lifes mysteries is how the lottery numbers fall. Often they appear random and frequently unfair.
The best we can hope for is to take advantage of the times that they are favourable.

If youre panning for gold, ya gotta take whatever colour is in your pan.

Anolphart said:
One of lifes mysteries is how the lottery numbers fall. Often they appear random and frequently unfair.
The best we can hope for is to take advantage of the times that they are favourable.

If youre panning for gold, ya gotta take whatever colour is in your pan.

Asked when we got the diagnosis, is it genetic, is it something we had done and the neurologist reply was" Plain dumb luck"

As you say, deal with the cards you are dealt. Cheers.

All the best to you both Manpa life has twists and turns that test our resolve at times. You've certainly got the right attitude :Y: to deal with the changes. My mother contracted Tuberculosis at the age of 24 and spent 2 year's in a plaster cast from neck to her toes and was told she most probably won't walk or have children. Well my mother did walk and had 10 children over 15 year's and at the age of 34 was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that eventually crippled her. My Mum was a very decent woman who always considered everyone before herself even at times of discomfort. So I understand to some degree your situation and the challenges that come with such life changing situations. It's the character of a person that shines through these difficult adjustments the best approach is a positive attitude and good sense of humour which you've shown us already :Y:.

RM Outback said:
All the best to you both Manpa life has twists and turns that test our resolve at times. You've certainly got the right attitude :Y: to deal with the changes. My mother contracted Tuberculosis at the age of 24 and spent 2 year's in a plaster cast from neck to her toes and was told she most probably won't walk or have children. Well my mother did walk and had 10 children over 15 year's and at the age of 34 was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis that eventually crippled her. My Mum was a very decent woman who always considered everyone before herself even at times of discomfort. So I understand to some degree your situation and the challenges that come with such life changing situations. It's the character of a person that shines through these difficult adjustments the best approach is a positive attitude and good sense of humour which you've shown us already :Y:.

Humour definitely helps, as we say in our house if your having a cocktail it will come shakin as we don't do stirred. :D

I love what you've written Manpa, it's beautiful.
Many blessings to you and your wifey and for the journey ahead. Xx

You have a fantastic outlook and attitude on life Manpa, you deserve much better. Wish I could have an outlook on life like yours.
All the best to you both.

Heartfelt post Manpa that should send important messages to many of us here.
After much soul searching and nervousness, I have also decided to retire early (at 63) in the new Financial Year. Am I ready- I'm not sure, but I want my remaining time to be my own. Your post gives me more confidence that I can adapt.
My best wishes to Lorraine and yourself.

Manpa, your positivity is your strength and it will guide you through this uncertain re-designing plan.
As many others have said... all the best for the future.

Manpa , your post hits the nail on the head , all your life long plans or should I say our life plan are easily derailed by our unplanned health plan, and as my DOC said to me last Friday, when we retire we no longer have that regimented daily work plan I retired 2 years ago, so 2 new hips, a pacemaker and now uncontrolled diabeities later, all unplanned by the way , I strongly support your thoughts. My wife had the shoulder surgery as well but no other issues, touch wood , except for the removal of a suspect mole.
Forum readers, Life is like a game of tug a war, a continual battle to stay healthy so we can go on and enjoy our twilight years do what we planned to do, whatever it may be. All I can say is take each day as it comes, don't keep issues bottled up talk about them with family and friends don't adopt the "she will right mate" attitude and for your own peace of mind visit your Doctor for regular check ups to pick up any early warning signs before its too late ,as my Doc says, easier to fix you now then later when it may be too late
Thanks Manpa for raising an important issue in life

Latest posts