Quite ground.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i have been to talbot and creswick with the 4500, no luck yet. Just wondering where a good place to go where the ground noise isnt to bad, dont want specifics just ideas, eg Ararat, etc. Any help will be appreciated, thanks

ballarat is not as bad as Talbot/Dunolly
but hot/noisey ground means minerals which could mean gold
regards tm

4500 and mono coil on noisy ground? try turning the gain and sensitivity back until it gets quiet then play around until you are happy. Try to run it in quiet. Are you using enhance? Try different sized coils etc. If all else fails, wack on a DD and run it as a DD. An issue with the GPX is that for some people, its their first PI - most people who come from the old SDs seem to be far more forgiving of ground noises as they are used to it. Also, you need to be constantly and I mean constantly ground balancing the machine. It will become habit forming in the end.

Trash is correct - Dunolly/Maryborough/Moliagul/Tarnagulla are noisy but its the ground that had the bigger shallower nuggets if this is your gold targeting - its highly mineralised with nasty pockets of noisy red clay (some very big nuggets were on this layer of clay and not bedrock). Its the reason VLFs really struggle around here.

thanks guys , might try the DD . thinking of going up to coiltek and doing a day training. thanks again for all the help.

I just got back from a trip to the triangle. My 11" DD coil died on me so I turned to the 14" mono. I also have a gpx 4500 and when I went to the mono i FOUND initially it was quite noisey. Simply switch to sens-smooth timing and it should run whisper quiet with a mono in all those areas.

Latest posts