Quick build 'Blue Bowl'

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Braddo said:
At what height should the water be entering the blue bowl?

thanks in advance,
Brad.
I built mine as per GM's specks at the bigining of the post, seems to work quite well.
Cheers Dozer :)

Good info here on water levels for different sized meshed material : http://prospectingchannel.com/process-gold-concentrate.html
Takes awhile to get to the blue bowl part but worth watching.
Well worth screening down all your material and running through the blue bowl as that little bit extra gold could be your beer or petrol money.
Buy or make your own , I've found it was the best $120 I spent as found plenty of fine gold using mine.
I collect 20 litres of cons screened down 30,50 and 100 mesh and run them over the warmer months on a sunny arvo with a quiet beer.
Autofeeder makes it simple set up to use.

In process still of building this, just need some spare time in between study and running a business.
The ultimate blue bowl set up :

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PWBVkcON7I[/video]

Final report on Blue Bowl.
I ran the dirt thru the bowl that I had already panned and was ready to throw in the garden. I thought there was no more gold in it, well I managed to get another 0.08g of very fine gold out of it. :D
Next project, home made dripfeed. Need advice. (might start new post for this)
Cheers
Dozer :)

Good News Dozer on the extra gold!

What was your opinion on the toothbrush rinse cup on the funnel?

Cheers,
Brad.

Dozer said:
Final report on Blue Bowl.
I ran the dirt thru the bowl that I had already panned and was ready to throw in the garden. I thought there was no more gold in it, well I managed to get another 0.08g of very fine gold out of it. :D
Next project, home made dripfeed. Need advice. (might start new post for this)
Cheers
Dozer :)

surprising how much gets away from us

i ran some cons through my highbanker yesterday and just for an experiment i ran the remnants through again . . . :mad:

yup i probably got another 10 - 20 % more that i would have missed so i am going to fit a TipTopCrate / Ultimat secondary sluice on the front to make sure i get it all from now on because the McKirk sluice i have under my highbanker grizzly is still losing some of the super fine gold.
If i follow that up with a blue bowl for cleanup of the cons i will get better micro flow adjustment to catch all that flour.

Braddo said:
Good News Dozer on the extra gold!

What was your opinion on the toothbrush rinse cup on the funnel?

Cheers,
Brad.
Hi Brad,
The rinse cup worked well but I think it needs a bit more of a lip. The cup has a lip of about 3mm. I think a 5mm to 7mm lip might be better to trap the finer gold cause I'm sure some got through. I only used silicon to keep it in place so its easy to remove incase I find something else to try. I will keep you informed.
Cheers
George :)

Matt The Magic Man said:
Does the Blue Bowl work well for flour gold like at O'Allen Ford & Grabben Gullen?

i will be making one for that purpose

There is gold so fine in the Shoalhaven you can barely see it and its difficult to seperate by panning alone

My past efforts to sluice / highbank there resulted in me blowing most of the gold out the end of the sluice .

I catch a much higher percentage now with a Wal inspired TipTop secondary sluice but i feel the blue bowl will give a better retention rate from the cons.

mandatory in my opinion

I knocked mine up today :cool:

1376306793_blue_bowl.jpg

Nice bowl magic, works great on flour gold. just get the water flow right. I put a catch pan under my outlet and am yet to find any escapees from my bowl. Most of the gold i get is around the sub mm to 1 mm. it works!

TenOunce Tone said:
Nice bowl magic, works great on flour gold. just get the water flow right. I put a catch pan under my outlet and am yet to find any escapees from my bowl. Most of the gold i get is around the sub mm to 1 mm. it works!
Can you put a photo up of the catch pan. I ran the dirt that went thru the bowl with the qanta pan and found a few tiny flakes. Not sure if it's water flow or I'm doing something wrong.
Cheers Dozer :)

GM, I am amazed at this device, so simple, yet very effective. I could have used one of these many years ago panning fine gold around Castlemaine central Vic. Dozer your bowl looks really good. Cheers

anyone know who has got stocks of blue bowls ?

I ordered one last week from a supplier but he cancelled the order coz he couldnt get stock

anyone else to buy from ?

yeah i could make one but its cheaper to buy than to spend 2 hrs of my time making it

GM and Dozer these DIY blue bowls are obviously popular. I am on a trip and called in at Bunnings, Port Stephens, the correct brand 13 litre bowls sold out so I bought a 16 litre for the moment, the correct size funnel also sold out, however I was able to buy the tooth brush cup (um do fossickers clean their teeth). When I return to Bendigo I will see how Bunnings are for stock of the items. Cheers :)

Highway1 said:
GM and Dozer these DIY blue bowls are obviously popular. I am on a trip and called in at Bunnings, Port Stephens, the correct brand 13 litre bowls sold out so I bought a 16 litre for the moment, the correct size funnel also sold out, however I was able to buy the tooth brush cup (um do fossickers clean their teeth). When I return to Bendigo I will see how Bunnings are for stock of the items. Cheers :)
If you find a cup with a wider lip get it as it would create a bit more resistance for the gold.
Cheers dozer :)

Dozer, I just put the blue bowl on a couple of bricks and put the catch pan under the bowl, all the heavies will end up in the pan and you can check.. just make sure there is nothing interupting the fall of water the pan will start overflowing but it should not take any gold with it.

Cheers, Tone

TenOunce Tone said:
Dozer, I just put the blue bowl on a couple of bricks and put the catch pan under the bowl, all the heavies will end up in the pan and you can check.. just make sure there is nothing interupting the fall of water the pan will start overflowing but it should not take any gold with it.

Cheers, Tone
Thanks Tone, I might try it with the catch pan from the rotapan,
Cheers George. :)

Thanks guys for this valuable information. Being new to the entire scene, I will save so much, which I can invest in more tools for this hobby. The calibre of information which you guys post in this forum is treasure in it's own right and I'm so damn happy that I have made the decision to take the plunge and join this wonderful group. Thanks so much :)

Latest posts