Quick build 'Blue Bowl'

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use a rinse aid rather than detergent so there are less bubbles. It helps soften the surface tension of the water making it less likely any gold would float.

I built one of these worked a treat all though I had to run the 100 mesh twice. Thinking of buying the real deal with leveler legs and a self feeder like shivan.

After hearing about Dozers bowl it sounds like the home made jobs are quiet capable, but you may need a bit of time spent palying with water levels on the bowl as the cone as bowl size are different to the shop bought.
As for the levling legs I think the same thing could be achieved with some rigid wire as the legs and nut, bolt for the adjustment and washer for the legs to sit on.
I do like my self feeder but again I think one could be made quiet easy if you are handy.

I had to add an extra bucket as the water was getting a bit dirty (recirculating). Still playing with water flow but it is retrieving even the finest gold. I think the next modification might be a lip on the cone like the original blue bowl as I think some of the gold might be escaping.
1372910251_bb2-optimized.jpg

Cheers
Dozer :)

I found a plastic cup with a lip on it at Bunnings. It's actually a mouth rinse cup that comes with the toothbrush holders you stick on the wall or mirror ($12.00).
I cut the base and stuck it to the cone. So far it seems to be working well by creating a little resistance to the flow into the cone and at the same time I have been able increase the water flow in the bowl. Time will tell how good it works.
1373428117_bb2_007-optimized.jpg

Cheers
Dozer :)

Hey dozer that's lookin good, in the previous picture are they door wedges to tune the bucket level?

Hey dozer that's lookin good, in the previous picture are they door wedges to tune the bucket level?

Tommtb7 said:
They sure are. It's all temporary at the moment till I get it running right then I will set it up properly with proper leveling legs and stand etc.

At what height should the water be entering the blue bowl?

thanks in advance,
Brad.

Braddo, the water should be entering from the bottom, you want the current to push the fines around and up the funnel. If the water was entering at the top, the current would not lift the sands and separate the gold and wash the sand out the top.
So yo will want your entry point as low as you can get it, I have angled the entry down a bit so it pushes to the bottom of the bowl

Cheers, Tone

Latest posts