QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
madtuna said:
Dribble!

Firstly I am in the same boat as Rick.

I've actually had a play with a QED, first generation though and not real impressive. This new incarnation though does look the goods and I am concidering buying one.

Unfortunately niether Rick or I are members or can be members of the forum which Bugs uses and obviously has the most QED info.

Rick was a ML dealer and I worked for one so we are automatically banned from joining.

It would be naive to not check out the extended warrenty on any product not just detectors as has been proven time and time again most are not worth the paper they are written on.

Steve

Was the early QED you used a test version ?

Araratgold said:
Steve's question is a valid one, because, like he said, if Howard was to drop off the perch tomorrow, how will get a repair or replacement in a year or twos time if our QED craps itself ? A replacement would consist of something other than a Minelab, none of which currently come close to a Minelab ( or QED for that matter ).

We keep a huge range of parts, detectors and other products in stock. We also keep several demo units of most detectors in stock. Our warranty is that we will repair or replace. We stand behind that.

As much as I admire your enthusiasm, seems to me that this is an unrealistic warranty that is probably going to cost you a lot out of pocket, and will likely cause your business to go belly up ? :(
I know from being a dealer myself years ago that there is not much fat in detectors ! :(

To be direct, you know nothing about our business or how it operates. Our company has very carefully established itself with a huge range, many brands supported and we have coverage in place that backs both our warranty and best price guarantees.

I know nothing about how you ran your business, however I can assure you we're not risking the capital we have put into Maldon Gold Centre.

Ridge Runner said:
Well hopefully no one will have to put MGC too the test, he said he will stand by his products so unless he croaks that is the only thing that would stand in his way.

Maldon Gold Centre is owned by Maldon Hobbies Pty Ltd which is one of a group of family businesses. We have contingencies in place for many circumstances.

Trash said:
madtuna said:
Dribble!

Firstly I am in the same boat as Rick.

I've actually had a play with a QED, first generation though and not real impressive. This new incarnation though does look the goods and I am concidering buying one.

Unfortunately niether Rick or I are members or can be members of the forum which Bugs uses and obviously has the most QED info.

Rick was a ML dealer and I worked for one so we are automatically banned from joining.

It would be naive to not check out the extended warrenty on any product not just detectors as has been proven time and time again most are not worth the paper they are written on.

Steve

Was the early QED you used a test version ?
No mate,
early release with old style box and pre updates.

The new versions as per MGC's website even just on appearences looks to have come leaps and bounds, and reports coming in show some promise.
Unfortunately with the history behind the QED and especially with its ascociation with the forum that it's tied to, plus the current hoo-ha makes it difficult to sort fact from fiction.

Being there is only 2 dealers that I know of, you can't just walk into a detector shop and have an up close and personal with the thing.

That being the case you find out everything you can via forums, dealers and users. That includes things like warrenty, though that appears to piss some people off.

madtuna said:
As I said it would be naive of me to not check out any extended warrenty on any product not just a detector. While $1850 is not the same as $10000 or what ever a GPZ costs, there's no arguing it's still a large sum of money.

Our warranty does not far exceed that required by Australian Consumer Law. We set our warranty up to both be compliant with consumer law and to provide customers peace of mind when purchasing from us. We have built in business assurances to ensure we can honour our warranty.

Many people think that warranties are the sole responsibility of the manufacturer, Australian Consumer Law places the onus on the vendor to provide certain guarantees and meet several obligations.

Let me give you an example, if you had bought a GPZ 7000 from a Minelab dealer and the detector was kept in pristine condition and looked after well and that detector just died after four years because of a fault in manufacture or labour then you would be entitled to a replacement or repair from the retailer regardless of the manufacturer warranty.

Australian Consumer Law goes far beyond manufacturers warranty claims. If you buy something for $10k and it only lasts four years under normal use then you have a major fault and Australian Consumer Law protects you in these circumstances regardless of a promise of a 3 year warranty by the manufacturer.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/c...repair-replace-refund#what-is-a-major-problem-

Never mind whether QED will still be around in five years madtuna. Your favorite motorcycle company are in trouble, and they might not be around in five years. Who can read the future?

MGC has kindly answered my question thanks very much Reg. :Y:

Saying that, HD has a world wide dealership network not to mention thier world wide following. Parts wont be a problem probably for this century even if they folded.

I was at the Geelong pmav field trip at creswick on the weekend and a guy there had latest QED.
It's now a seriously neat looking package and it's great to see some getting around.
From the discussion I had with him he was very happy and found it easy to operate.

davent said:
Did he find gold with it?

I didn't see him again later in the afternoon so I'm not sure how he went but then there were plenty of people there with all different machines with varied success. I found an 11g with the 4500 last week and I'm certain my old QED would have found if I had walked over it back then.

A few guys were doing some air tests with it just out of interest and they seemed impressed. It definitely drew a small crowd full of questions and I'd be surprised if I don't start seeing a few more around.

Jarrod84 said:
I found an 11g with the 4500 last week and I'm certain my old QED would have found if I had walked over it back then.

The only way you'd ever know for sure is if you marked the ground then put the QED across it in the settings you'd normally run for the ground you were in.

How deep, and what coil you running on the 4500?

Phase tech, Ive done enough testing with the QED to know that in some situations it performs better than a GPX and in others the reverse is the case. The area that it is far superior is in ergonomics. The same of course is the case with the GPZ.

PhaseTech said:
Jarrod84 said:
I found an 11g with the 4500 last week and I'm certain my old QED would have found if I had walked over it back then.

The only way you'd ever know for sure is if you marked the ground then put the QED across it in the settings you'd normally run for the ground you were in.

I didn't want to start a QED vs etc debate but it wasn't very deep at about 8 inches and I've pulled .22 bullets out of the same ground with the QED deeper than that, thats how I know for sure.
I guess the main thing from what I said was "IF I had walked over it back then"

One of the reasons I sold mine, was although it did pick up targets, big and small, shallow and deep, it also gave me a LOT of false targets in variable ground.

PhaseTech said:
Jarrod84 said:

Boy ................... sure a few that jump on the defensive .................... why ?
One comes back stating the obvious, which from a so called veteran at the game surprised me a little, plus praising accolades of ergonomics ? If a broom stick with a bucket finds nuggets I'll drag it across a paddock all day ........... ergonomics or not :D

Then a Newbie states he knows for sure and is certain about something the most experienced in the field I've ever met ................. can't be ????? Well that's can't be unless checked by the method Nenad has simply taken his time to mention. Noted also the important question asked about what coil used was ignored ? That's priceless :rolleyes:

One thing I've learnt in life, is you don't try to teach a champion egg sucker how to suck eggs :8

Now this is not a post to increase pop corn sales :lol: but it would be nice to see a little respect given to someone who not only knows their craft very well but also knows minelab detectors especially as good as the best there is out there. :Y: All members are lucky to have him on this forum and benefit from his experience and knowledge accordingly, with the added bonus all that have met him will agree, is also a true gentleman to boot.
JP drops in from time to time .................... I think the post counts 11 ....................... again not a shot at JP as even the fact him and I have a major personality conflict ;) I'd certainly never question his ability at what he does. Just telling it like it is.
Ok apology for the long post but needed before all the nay sayers start wading in as have learnt well that one must be very specific in what they say, and on that note Mr J don't bother sending me PM's as I won't get them. {)
Back on topic have said before hope the QED is as good as a few are claiming, but the sales just aren't backing that from what I see, and in fact Mr J even sold his to buy a GPX and that wasn't even the 5000 ? They must be better then :eek:

The coil was the standard 11" mono commander.
I know for sure, as stated it wasn't deep, anyone who says otherwise from now is calling me a liar no matter how experienced they are.

I sold the QED and bought the 4500 because for the type of detecting it's a better machine, never said otherwise.

I bought the QED to see of I liked detecting, it enjoyed using it and found enough gold to make me want to pursue it further.

If I had bought an sdc I would also have sold it to buy the 4500 to chase deeper gold. This would not make the sdc look bad, just not every machine suits every purpose.

That is all I have for this topic.

Bogger is for real.
I am starting to get a very uneasy feeling about a few post's.
This is an info thread.
Not a sales campaign so lets keep it that way.
All we want to know is the performance and individual comments about the machine.
Not a continual parody about smooth lines, etc.
Ie; one single comment from a person's use of the machine.
Not a continual brow beating on how good the machine is.
I have removed a few post's to keep the negativity out of the thread.
Finally, I have been made aware of a few negative PM's being sent to a few members.
Be warned.

You leave boggers post above and that's fine? The pm I sent bogger stated "let it go, grow up mate" that's the nasty pm for everyone to see. This forum is a joke. May I please be removed.

Ok. You called out in public.
I have selectively removed a few post's from every one.
I left a few in to try and keep the post from jumping around.
That is my job.
I am a moderator.
Cool down a bit and think about it.
Ad no, I would not like to see you go.
PM me later on this afternoon if you still want to go.

Latest posts