QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adventurerchris said:
Yea the chap quoted me 150$ For postage

Im in the sw here but will hunt nuggets up there where I found them in the rivers and on the hills a few nice pieces to right near the top of a mountain with a old Garret scorpion stinger Vlf detector.

Yea its going to hurt a bit in postage but hay its great to have such good detector to use thats not in the gpx5000 price range my last Gpx 5000 was stolen before I worked in Canada which was really bad and I ended up just using a vlf gmt detector for a while and it worked well on the areas I used it in British Columbia

Ive been reading through the QED posts past few weeks and really like the machine esp the new QED2 model so Ill do my best to get to using it and making a few vids with it :)

I have seen a heap of Gold found with the QED over on Detector-Prospector forum, I don't know how long it took them to find them but there are some good pictures to look at through the winter months. :Y:

The QED is my main detector now and I have lots of them!

To be honest, the first few weeks of using it I didn't like it. However once I worked out how to get my settings right I started getting results.

At even double the price point there's nothing close. It's a great machine.

My only criticism is that I don't like the ribbon cable between the control unit and system box. However the machine is still being developed and the cosmetics will improve.

Paired with a set of wireless headphones the machine is light and easy to use, no need for a harness or battery on your back as the batteries go in the back of the system box.

I've sold three QED now and only had good feedback in return.

What wireless headphones are you using?
Most wireless systems I've tried don't work well with the QED at all. The only ones I've found good are Seinheisser RS160's - the rest cut in out, too low in volume etc. etc.
Interested to know of any others that work well.

Also wondering if anyone can check something for me? I have a PL2 but the control box is still mounted on the handle not under the arm cuff like the new configuration.
When touching any metal areas of the control box i.e. metal area of control box case itself, metal parts of coil/power cable connectors or bolts holding control box onto handle I get a false signal & if I continue to hold/touch it a static feedback type sound.
I've been in contact with Howard who says it's likely some static discharge but wondering if others are experiencing it. Not a big issue but can be a pain if I inadvertently brush/touch the control box or my finger contacts a bolt during operation. If it's static from me I might need to insulate all the metal?

mbasko said:
What wireless headphones are you using?

I use and sell Tone Link bluetooth transmitters and match them to Philips SHB7250 or Philips SHB5500 depending on user preference.

Personally I prefer the SHB7250

We have a couple of other options available as well, all tested and work well with the QED. The Tone Link / Philips combination seems best though.

Maldon Gold Centre said:

To be honest, the first few weeks of using it I didn't like it. However once I worked out how to get my settings right I started getting results.

My only criticism is that I don't like the ribbon cable between the control unit and system box. However the machine is still being developed and the cosmetics will improve.

Paired with a set of wireless headphones the machine is light and easy to use, no need for a harness or battery on your back as the batteries go in the back of the system box.

You must be kidding, right ?
At twice the price you can get a brand new GPX4500, with 3 years warranty, and an array of aftermarket accessories available !

I WILL be buying a QED in about 6 weeks, to take to WA to add to our arsenal of 4500 and ZED, so I am NOT anti QED. However, that statement you have just made needs to be taken with a grain of salt, especially since you sell them !

Rick

Thanks MGC - would you have a link to any info on the Tone link transmitter at all? Do they have a receiver as well to allow using other non bluetooth headphones/earbuds?
I'd be very interested in some if they are compatible with the QED without the cycling/audio drop outs, noise/EMI etc. that I & others have found with other wireless set ups.
As said the Sennheiser RS160's are great but Kleer RF doesn't have many other options to pair up to so your basically stuck with the one set of headphones.

mbasko said:
Thanks MGC - would you have a link to any info on the Tone link transmitter at all? Do they have a receiver as well to allow using other non bluetooth headphones/earbuds?

I'm waiting on photos from the supplier before I put them online. They're bluetooth only.

Araratgold said:
At twice the price you can get a brand new GPX4500, with 3 years warranty, and an array of aftermarket accessories available !

You can use lots of coils with the QED. I own a GPX 4500, in my opinion the QED is a better machine.

I offer a five year repair or replacement warranty on every detector we sell.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
mbasko said:

I'm waiting on photos from the supplier before I put them online. They're bluetooth only.
No worries - I realise they are Bluetooth only but was wondering if they have both a transmitter & receiver as this opens up a huge variety of headphones/earbuds i.e. transmitter on detector & receiver connected to your choice of headphones/earbuds or even boosted speaker. I've used these set ups before with success (Avantree Bluetooth Saturn Pro low latency units) but they weren't able to play well with the QED.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
Araratgold said:

You can use lots of coils with the QED. I own a GPX 4500, in my opinion the QED is a better machine.

Can you clarify this 5 year repair or replacement warranty? Is on top of manufacturers warranty? That sounds too good to be true.

Reg Wilson said:
mbasko, forgot to mention that the Garrett system has volume control, so heaps of audio.
Thanks Reg - would love to get that set up if I can stretch the budget some more.
I remember reading that the Garrett system was a little low on volume previously so the noise cancelling earbuds must make a nice difference? Had a quick look & I assume you are using the QC20's?
In saying that I did some reading on early reports out of the USA on the Garrett system & it appears that it works best with lower ohm headphones (16ohm or less) - Garrett headphones are all 8ohm - few dramas early on with low volume using 32ohm or higher sets but they seem to have worked out the cause pretty quickly.
I've thought for awhile that the QED has better wired audio with lower ohm headphones/earbuds too so if I can get my hands on the Garrett system plus some reasonably good low ohm earbuds it may do for now then get some Bose NC ones later.
The RS160's are good but bloody hot wearing them lately.

Maldon Gold Centre said:

it may been 4 BUT you went back on your deal and got ???

goldwright said:
Maldon Gold Centre said:
Araratgold said:

Can you clarify this 5 year repair or replacement warranty? Is on top of manufacturers warranty? That sounds too good to be true.

It's in addition to the manufacturers warranty and applies even if the manufacturer goes out of business.

There's no fine print. We cover the detector for faults in parts or labour for 5 years from the date you purchase it. If it can't be repaired it will be replaced. If replacement is needed then the machine will be replaced with the closest equivalent machine at the time of replacement.

We've built this cover into our pricing and it takes into account Australian Consumer Law which covers most expensive items well beyond manufacturers warranty.

"If replacement is needed then the machine will be replaced with the closest equivalent machine at the time of replacement."

Is that equivalent price or equivalent function?

What I mean is, if Bugs drops off the perch and the QED is no more and your QED craps its daks, possibly the closest is a ML offering the likes of an SDC or 4500 at twice the price?

Also is the 5 years on top of the manufacturers warranty ie: 3 years +5 =8 years?

Cheers!

madtuna said:
"If replacement is needed then the machine will be replaced with the closest equivalent machine at the time of replacement."

Is that equivalent price or equivalent function?

What I mean is, if Bugs drops off the perch and the QED is no more and your QED craps its daks, possibly the closest is a ML offering the likes of an SDC or 4500 at twice the price?

Also is the 5 years on top of the manufacturers warranty ie: 3 years +5 =8 years?

Cheers!

If a replacement is not available that matches the machine you purchased then it will be replaced with a machine from our range which is equivalent in function.

The 5 years is supplementary to the manufacturer warranty. That doesn't mean you get 2 + 5, it means you get 5 years. Effectively you don't have to worry about the manufacturer at all, you simply return the machine to us and we will cover the warranty. We provide 5 years from the date of purchase. Some manufacturers have a 1 year warranty, some have 5 years. We offer 5 years from the date of purchase regardless of the manufacturer warranty.

The only exclusion would be if a manufacturer came out with a six year warranty then obviously we would provide six years on that machine also.

Thanks mate. :Y:

So which in your range would you consider is equivalent in function to a QED?

Latest posts