QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to ask again but say I purchased a GPZ from you and after 4 years it stopped working 1 year out of manufacturers warranty you would replace it with a brand new GPZ if it cant be fixed? And even if the repair is a $1500 main board repair?

goldwright said:
Sorry to ask again but say I purchased a GPZ from you and after 4 years it stopped working 1 year out of manufacturers warranty you would replace it with a brand new GPZ if it cant be fixed? And even if the repair is a $1500 main board repair?

We don't sell Minelab detectors.

However if you bought an XP Deus from us, it stopped working due to a fault in parts or labour after 4 years then we would replace it if a repair couldn't be done.

Maldon Gold Centre said:
madtuna said:
Thanks mate. :Y:

So which in your range would you consider is equivalent in function to a QED?

That's a good question, however not one that will come up as we have QED in stock and can supply a replacement QED.

Steve's question is a valid one, because, like he said, if Howard was to drop off the perch tomorrow, how will get a repair or replacement in a year or twos time if our QED craps itself ? A replacement would consist of something other than a Minelab, none of which currently come close to a Minelab ( or QED for that matter ).

As much as I admire your enthusiasm, seems to me that this is an unrealistic warranty that is probably going to cost you a lot out of pocket, and will likely cause your business to go belly up ? :(
I know from being a dealer myself years ago that there is not much fat in detectors ! :(

Rick

Ridge Runner said:
Well hopefully no one will have to put MGC too the test, he said he will stand by his products so unless he croaks that is the only thing that would stand in his way.

And therein lies the problem RR. We have to " hope " that we don't have to put him to the test ! :(
At least with Minelab ( or whites, garrett etc ), you have a long established business with many dealerships, so if anything goes wrong, you WILL get it fixed. :Y:

Don't get me wrong, I AM getting a QED to swing a 24x12 in WA this season, to cover as much ground as I can raw prospecting, in the outer limits of known goldfields. It WILL be my primary prospecting tool.
However, once I find the first bit in a new area, the ZED will be coming out to play ! :Y:

Rick

Maldon Gold Centre said:
madtuna said:
Thanks mate. :Y:

So which in your range would you consider is equivalent in function to a QED?

That's a good question, however not one that will come up as we have QED in stock and can supply a replacement QED.

Maybe not this week but in the future a distinct possibility

Or a Tsunami could come in and wash away all the Gold,

This is a pointless argument because it is impossible to predict the future, and there is also no point in trying to trip MGC up in to saying something of doubt or trying to win the argument, One day my Dad went to work and never came home again having died that afternoon, A person never knows what is contained in the day ahead.

Dribble!

Firstly I am in the same boat as Rick.

I've actually had a play with a QED, first generation though and not real impressive. This new incarnation though does look the goods and I am concidering buying one.

Unfortunately niether Rick or I are members or can be members of the forum which Bugs uses and obviously has the most QED info.

Rick was a ML dealer and I worked for one so we are automatically banned from joining.

It would be naive to not check out the extended warrenty on any product not just detectors as has been proven time and time again most are not worth the paper they are written on.

Ridge Runner said:
Or a Tsunami could come in and wash away all the Gold,

This is a pointless argument because it is impossible to predict the future, and there is also no point in trying to trip MGC up in to saying something of doubt or trying to win the argument, One day my Dad went to work and never came home again having died that afternoon, A person never knows what is contained in the day ahead.

RR,

I think you are missing our point. Howard is not a young man, and is a one man band with one product only. As much as I admire what he has achieved as a privateer, we need to be realistic about his future ! :(

Who is going to fix the things if he gets sick, which most of us do when we get older ??

At least with the established companies, who have a proven track record over a long time, and a diversity of products, you know they will be there into the future ! :)
Rick

madtuna said:
Dribble!

Firstly I am in the same boat as Rick.

I've actually had a play with a QED, first generation though and not real impressive. This new incarnation though does look the goods and I am concidering buying one.

Unfortunately niether Rick or I are members or can be members of the forum which Bugs uses and obviously has the most QED info.

Rick was a ML dealer and I worked for one so we are automatically banned from joining.

It would be naive to not check out the extended warrenty on any product not just detectors as has been proven time and time again most are not worth the paper they are written on.

It's not dribble at all, maybe once you own the qed then maybe you can join their forum,

you have two choices, either take the chance and it works flawlessly or you stick to main steam manufacturers, I understand your fears, Hopefully Bug is in fine form and lives for ever and that he also has someone working with him that can carry on when he retires, In the same way that Bruce Candy passes the Batton to the next lot of up and coming wizards,

I use to think like you with the "What If" cloud over head but if we all do that then we will never know what is round the corner, Man would have never landed on the moon or climbed the highest mountains and the list goes on, It's the chance we have to take or we might as well give up now, You go detecting and you get skunked over and over again but that does not stop you from planning your next trip and this is no different, And don't forget that there are many people like woody out there that can fix this stuff so you still have a backup plan just in case,

MGC has said he will stand by and fix or replace the machine and as long as there are people like woody etc these things can be kept going for ever really.

Blokes ya's might be arguing a moot point?
MGC is a detector repairer https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24873
Throwing Woody into the mix RR might not be good for your case? ]:D :p
It's a bloody generous warranty offer & as a repairer himself, MGC must be confident in being able to fix the majority of issues that might present on out of warranty machines?

The future of the QED does not depend on whether Rick or madtuna decide to buy one. At a mere au$1850 a half decent prospector, as these two are, should recover enough gold to pay for their investment in a short space of time. ( I've paid for mine many times over ) If a QED cost what a Z does, then there may be reason for concern.
Years ago when I owned a Harley Davidson agency, my main peeve was the tire kicker and troublesome customer. I would just as soon they didn't buy a bike.

mbasko said:
Blokes ya's might be arguing a moot point?
MGC is a detector repairer https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24873
Throwing Woody into the mix RR might not be good for your case? ]:D :p
It's a bloody generous warranty offer & as a repairer himself, MGC must be confident in being able to fix the majority of issues that might present on out of warranty machines?

Well I did not know that MGC was a detector repairer and in that case then people have nothing to worry about, By the sound of it MGC is one of the better companies to deal with because he is fully self contained. :Y:

Araratgold said:
I have just read on Doug's forum that Howard has trained 2 younger people to fix the QEDs, which is good news ! :Y:

Cheers,
Rick

Well that's good news, I did not know that because Doug Banned me from his forum.

Ridge Runner said:
Araratgold said:
I have just read on Doug's forum that Howard has trained 2 younger people to fix the QEDs, which is good news ! :Y:

Cheers,
Rick

Well that's good news, I did not know that because Doug Banned me from his forum.

He's just put it in the publicly viewable section where us " banned of brothers " can read it !

Rick

Reg Wilson said:
The future of the QED does not depend on whether Rick or madtuna decide to buy one. At a mere au$1850 a half decent prospector, as these two are, should recover enough gold to pay for their investment in a short space of time. ( I've paid for mine many times over ) If a QED cost what a Z does, then there may be reason for concern.
Years ago when I owned a Harley Davidson agency, my main peeve was the tire kicker and troublesome customer. I would just as soon they didn't buy a bike.

As I said it would be naive of me to not check out any extended warrenty on any product not just a detector. While $1850 is not the same as $10000 or what ever a GPZ costs, there's no arguing it's still a large sum of money.

There appears to be only two QED dealerships, as MGC is a forum member he'll most likely get my money. But also as a dealer and as he is only a new dealer, he will also get my questions.
Some might call that tyre kicking or a troublesome customer, I call it being careful and making sure I'm happy where my money is going.

Bugs being a 1 man show is a legitimate concern as far as the future goes. I'm relieved to hear he has 2 blokes trained up, though I had no idea as having worked in a ML dealership I am banned from ever joining what is basically the QED forum. So I have no choice but to get my info elsewhere.

You may have called me a troublesome customer, but with what I spent on the three I owned and the S&S I was building I'm sure the local Harley dealer on the Central Coast loved me :D

And yet many buy a used car/van/boat with 3 mths warranty for many thousands more than a QED. I ve spent more than $1800 on fast food will little return except for a few extra kgs on my arse.

Can we please move on to how the QED works and tweaking aka back to topic?

Dont want/like/happy with warranty or QED? Move on to the pet rock thread! {)

RS

Well ......................... this is the QED info thread ? So if I can't glean information regards the machine where do I go ?
Maybe the fact it's the new kid on the block and with claims that it's better than an SDC and better than a GPX makes people scrutinise it a little more than one otherwise would ?
Now as I have already had some stick twister tell me my opinion or questions were not relevant, as according to them I had never owned or used or in fact even seen one, I'd like to at least have the right perhaps to an opinion ?
Truth of it is .................... you may not even be able to buy a QED in five years, who knows ? I have noted one thing that appears common but, is that the minute anything slightly negative is offered up it gets shut down real quick. :rolleyes: Not sure why as three years on and the SDC still cops a bagging despite it's good track record.
I'd love to see it better than an SDC and or a GPX, so then when I upgrade my Go Find I won't have to spend thousands to "Get The Gold" or more of it ;)
CU ................... in the paddock :Y: Ya gotta love a FNQ sunset along with the smell of fresh cow shite around the camp from inquisitive cattle :D

Latest posts