PMAV General News, Member Information & Updates

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different states have different associations tackling different rules & legislation so a national body would be a big ask. Better for the state associations to work together & build allegiance like PMAV & NAPFA do now I believe. Maybe the different state associations could eventually form some type of National Body elected from the state associations that oversees things on a nationwide level but leaves the state to state job to the individual associations?
I don't believe PMAV are the only ones pushing things. I know NAPFA are actively pursuing several avenues to improve things now & some good things are starting to show from their work in NSW.

A good thought that has been discussed over the years. A key sticking point is that unlike a national federation/association based in Canberra to lobby the Federal Govt, each state/territory has differing laws and requires quite different lobbying at a state level. Mining Acts/Laws are usually a state function. Also, all the current groups are just about 100% unpaid, volunteer services etc to keep membership costs down. I don't even know if all states even have a PMAV / NAFPA equivalent.

There is usually a meeting of minds between some PMAV and NAFPA members at Laanecoorie Caravan park once a year for the 'gold bash', but still pretty informal. This attracts many prospectors from Vic and NSW and to be fair to the South Aussies they come along as well and several are in the PMAV.

We could always form a party ?? The fella down South East as a car man got in
Just a thought

John

We do have a Party - The Australian Pensioners Party :)

Membership criteria if we form the new party.

1. Ex tradie who swears he will never again dig another hole after retiring as a plumber. So what do we do as a hobby? Dig holes.
2. Shonky knees - so what do we do as a hobby? Kneel down all day checking the friggin hole we just dug.
3. Having grandkids who can explain technology to us but then spend a lot of time talking shite around campfires talking about the relative merits of PI/VLF/SETA technology.
4. Telling our grandkids to take out those bloody ear plugs so 'I can talk to you', then spend all day walking around with headphones on listening to 'bleep bleep' noises.
5. saying at least 20 times a day...'when I was your age'.

etc etc

Haha man I can hear you all the way.... Old tyre fitter with bung knees, back and so on....... And only 51

I'm 56 and still plumbing with all those symptoms....If only I'd listened to my parents when I was younger I would be able to afford to retire about now...Oh well,that's not going to happen...

Cheers...Sparra

Yes, in an ideal world there would be the support and finances to pull together a national organisation. I have had some discussion on and off with PMAV, PANDIANT, APLA over the past 18 months, and there was nearly a national get together last year to share ideas and strategies. But events in Victoria around the VEAC report consumed a lot of attention and the idea didn't go ahead.

It is fair to say we all share similar problems in each of the states and territories but because mining (which normally includes fossicking) is controlled by state government it needs state solutions so the benefit of a national organisation is not immediately clear (to me anyway). Although the amount of work involved to do so is very clear!

If people want to help - and I hope they do - then they should at least join their own local state equivalent association and keep supporting them through ongoing membership and fundraising.

Organisations cost money to function with credibility. So far as I know, all the associations are staffed by volunteers who give up their fossicking time to serve the greater good. They need members and support to prosper and get results.

At NAPFA we now have over 750 members but it is noteworthy that on a basic look at the numbers, there are thousands of fossickers who do not support their association through membership, although the goals of the various associations support fossickers!

So if you want to help in a practical way, support your association and be involved.

Some people say they don't want to be 'involved' but then say they are concerned about this or that or have a crack at the greenies who are well organised, well funded, and have passionate supporters.

NAPFA appreciates that PA forum runs a NAPFA banner at the top for guest visitors, and I encourage logged in members to visit the associations section or google their respective association for joining information.

cheers

Stephen
President
NAPFA

Just wondering if any members here living in the Geelong area would be interested in starting up a Sub-branch of the PMAV. I have heard that the Geelong detector club could be folding up from lack of members. If this is the case then there will be no sort of detector/ prospecting club in the area. If you are interested please contact myself or Rita Bentley. The next nearest PMAV Sub-branch to Geelong is either Melb. or Ballarat. My No. is xxxxxxxxxx, Rita xxxxxxxxxx.
wombat ;)

Plse read the rules: No private tel numbers to be displayed on the forum.!! :|

hi Wombat

i like your idea, BUT i think you should make sure from whom ever is running the geelong detector club first
if they are folding or what there plans are for the future

Cheers

Ron

yournutz said:
hi Wombat

i like your idea, BUT i think you should make sure from whom ever is running the geelong detector club first
if they are folding or what there plans are for the future

Cheers

Ron

True Ron. Even if their not folding it would not be a bad idea still to have a PMAV Sub-branch down that way.
Is there is anyone on the site that belongs to the Geelong detector club that can put light on the rumor about their club.
wombat ;)

PS. Sorry Mods I for got about the private contact rule :8

Well their website is no longer active.

Is a link via gold prospecting WA that bob must have put up.......nada!

http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/geelong-geelong-prospecting-club.html

No email addy to make a request regarding existence, but only contact details i can find are:

Geelong Prospecting Club
PO Box 123
Corio VIC 3214
Ph (03) 9748 7851

Quick, grab the number Bill before the fun police get here!

Same club name but different number and contact name here mate (Jefgold)

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t4-victorian-prospecting-clubs

I think that Dave (detrackozi) from that forum hails from Geelong way mate.

Regards

Hey Mods -not trying to be silly or stir ya's up but I thought phone number's were fine if they were connected to a business/organisation or a representative of such?
Seeing as though Rita is the PMAV President & Bill has been appointed as the PMAV General Manager for the Laanecoorie Gold Bash (+ probably holds an office position at branch level?) couldn't the numbers be seen as beneficial in this case I.e the numbers had been provided to enable organisational contact rather than for private purposes.
I know that I had a number removed once for a gold panning tour guide/guru & Nugget put the number back up because although a private person & number he was/is carrying out a business. Has Harri changed this?

p.s. just another 2 bobs worth but if the Geelong Detecting Club is struggling then joining with the PMAV to make a branch + continue club activities under the PMAV + Geelong club banner would be a good thing for that area I reckon. Hope it gets wings.

Good point mate.

These numbers and contact details are freely available on the internet via google search engine and are business related with the owners permission.

They are viral.

We are not giving away classified personal details here!

Regards

Thanks guys for your support but rules are rules even though I put up my own phone number and also Rita Bentley with her permission. As you said so people can contact us if our phone numbers were there, in our request of forming a Sub-branch of the PMAV and helping out possible members of the Geelong prospecting club at the same time. This was only to help forum members out in the area. I have put it up on another forum with phone numbers with no problems from the Mods. My phone number is publicly known as it has been in many a Mag, on posters and even shown on TV and announced on the radio in regards to the Laanecoorie Gold Bash. But as I said and the Mods have said "rules are rules". :(
wombat ;)

Just repost the number please wombat,the issue has been sorted.
Was just a simple misunderstanding.

Edit to add: Sorry just realised i sound like a wannabe mod, above was more a suggestion as i was sure Jaros simply got a little confused with that particular rule.

Latest posts