Planning a first time trip to Victoria - any advice?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Finally heading down to Victoria for a couple weeks with the family and have set aside a few days to see if I can finally put my modest little Whites GMT to good use!

Accommodation has been booked for 3 days at Castlemaine, but we will have a car and I'm prepared to do a bit of driving (Bendigo, Donolly, etc?).

Like I said I've only got the little Whites GMT with the standard 6" x 10" coil - so not expecting much... but would truly make my trip if I could find even just a tiny little chunk with it - it'd be the first!

Any recommendations for a general area that might be more suitable for the GMT? ...any tips/advice would be much appreciated!

Navieko.

Hello,
Where you are going is as good a spot as any. I would recommend getting John Tullys map of the area and go for your life. The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence so stay close to Castlemaine is my tip. Whithin half an hour is all good. There is lots of history in the area. There is a historic overlay on a lot of the area (look into this) so its ok to take gold but dont take relics. The area has been hit hard by detectors for years but so have most, so there is still a chance. A good little town not to far away is Maldon. If your into history its worth a look. I have found lots of gold in the areas around Castlemaine so it is still possible. I am not sure that your detector is up to finding small bits in the hot ground around there but is worth a try. Many old tokens have been found around Castlemaine. Be careful though as they are relics as I already stated, look into the overlay.

Navieko. You will need a DD coil for the Victorian goldfields. I agree - get a copy of Tully's Castlemaine map book. I wouldn't stray too far if you are staying there - plenty to see and do.

Silvermernda. VLFs struggle on the highly mineralised ground in Victoria. In the case of the xterra - sensitivity - start at the maximum and work you way down to shut the warbbles, bleeps, grunts and groans up.

There are some very deep and dangerous quartz reef workings around Castlemaine and if taking kids - keep a close eye on them. Most deep holes are still open/uncovered.

Make sure you have your permit with you.

Good luck.

Vic Propspecting guide is at:
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/19605/Prospecting-Guide.pdf

Thanks for the info echidnadigger and loamer, the coil I have is the stock standard 6" x 10" DD Coil - I know it'll be noisy... but with the right settings -- I think VSAT around 7-10, Gain around 5-7? -- it should be capable (with a bit of luck) of finding some small stuff right? I'll also be wearing the headphones that came with it.

From the sounds of it then Castlemaine isn't that bad of a place to stick around - I will definitely grab a copy of the map book and will be sure to purchase a Victorian Miner's Right before we get down and dirty. :cool:

Cheers.

6 x 10 DD should be good. Tullys book is available from one of the site sponsors for about $21. coloured maps - shows crown land and the Castlemaine book has some interesting facts and figures. These are NOT topo maps so take care driving - he usually will state 'rough' 'steep' and he is usually spot on. There are 1000s of places for you to go on these maps, and thats just Castlemaine. My tip would be - start on mullock heaps. get a test piece (lead) and do some quick tests on the Victorian ground, depth at settings etc. For example, bury the piece at various depths on a mullock heap and get a guide to the sound it makes. Play with your settings so even with a bit of background noise, you can pick out the target. Go low and slow. You should certainly be in the running for some throw outs.

By the way - its pronounced CASSLEMAINE not CARSLEMAINE - the locals will pick you in minutes otherwise. Also note XXXX came from here originally, and you QLDers are welcome to it. :)

Aim for chewton, get to the gullies and creek edges and work around
the crevices.
Ive seen nice bits from there
Your machine should do ok.
But the other tips are awesome too :)

Keepondiggin - agreed,ideal spots for a small coil.
Navieko - Chewton is covered in the Castlemaine maps mentioned above.

Hit the tourist info place at the Castlemaine Markets and tell them what you are doing - they are very helpful. There is plenty of free stuff to look at.
Don't forget - try steamed dim sims, flake, Gillies Pies, Castlemaine Rock (still in the old tins) and hot jam doughnuts. And remember in Victoria its potato Cakes NOT potato scallops. Our potatoes don't swim, and yes, I did spend a lot of time in QLD.

navieko said:
Thanks for the info echidnadigger and loamer, the coil I have is the stock standard 6" x 10" DD Coil - I know it'll be noisy... but with the right settings -- I think VSAT around 7-10, Gain around 5-7? -- it should be capable (with a bit of luck) of finding some small stuff right? I'll also be wearing the headphones that came with it.

From the sounds of it then Castlemaine isn't that bad of a place to stick around - I will definitely grab a copy of the map book and will be sure to purchase a Victorian Miner's Right before we get down and dirty. :cool:

Cheers.

I use my GMT in some pretty noisy ground around Hill End etc. & those settings should be ok for down there. VSAT as close to 10 as possible & start your gain at around 8 & adjust down to suit what you can put up with but the higher the better, which I find I can usually run at around 6-7 in most noisy ground. Adjust the threshold until you hear the "second" break cut in then adjust back slightly to try & get a nice even hum. Run in manual tracking & use that grab button every metre or two, in variable ground, to constantly track the ground. In auto you may "track" out a faint signal, especially if you go over a signal a few times checking it.
The 6" x 10" DD should do the job - the bigger coil, from what I have been told may lose you sensitivity on the small stuff. I have the 6" x 4" coil, which is good too, but very sensitive & wouldn't recommend in the noisier ground.
I have got sub 1 grammers in fairly variable & at times noisy ground so if your tuned to the right sounds & walk over them you will get em. I like to carry a small (0.13 gram) nugget with me to help "tune" the GMT to the area - to make sure your listening for the right sounds. If I start second guessing on any noises/signals I will have a quick swing over it again to make sure I'm still listening properly.
Good luck - the GMT is a capable little machine & if you can get used to the noises there's no reason you can't find some.
p.s. the discrimination on the GMT works well - if it "grunts" then it will be iron. Dig everything else just to make sure.
Like KD said "get to the gullies and creek edges and work around the crevices" + look for the shallow ground where there is shale/slate etc. coming through & mullock heaps etc.

Thanks heaps everyone, just the sort of info I was after! :)

Also just out of curiosity -- the first few days in Victoria we'll be staying at accommodation at the Dandenong Ranges and then up at Mt. Baw Baw later on -- would it be worth taking the pan a long for a ride? Anyone know if there is gold to be found in those areas, and where prospecting is permitted?

Hey Naveiko
If you have time drive on over to Heathcote & work around the diggings to the west of the town. If you want some more specific info PM me.

navieko said:
Thanks heaps everyone, just the sort of info I was after! :)

Also just out of curiosity -- the first few days in Victoria we'll be staying at accommodation at the Dandenong Ranges and then up at Mt. Baw Baw later on -- would it be worth taking the pan a long for a ride? Anyone know if there is gold to be found in those areas, and where prospecting is permitted?

Between these two places there is hundreds of spots you could pan. Throw it in and have some fun. Keep an eye out for precious stones in your pan.

Very glad to hear that echidnadigger, I guess I'll just have to buy a cheap little shovel when I get there - thanks aye!

Hey jethro, thanks for the info - I sent you a PM!

Hey navieko

I'm sure you'll have a ball in victoria so many places to visit in such short distances . If your planning a trip out towards dunolly and you've got a tent head out to the pyronese near avoca / percydale there's many mines to see, old puddlers and gold history in the area the pyronese has one of my favorite camp sites toilets creek waterfall and very detectable hills sorounding. If you are I dunolly you can pick up some great tips from the australian whites dealer gold search Australia. Good luck and I hope the weather is kind to you

backcreek said:
Hay Mbasko,
Great advice and info there. What brand is your 6" x 4" coil and does it increase your depth at all?

Hi Backcreek - its the Whites 6" x 4" DD shooter coil http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/...ils-1/search-coils/shooter-4-x-6-dd-coil.html

I've only had it on twice so far & the first time I went back to the 10" x 6" as it was far too noisy for the ground I was on, but that may have been more fault on my part for not perservering with it & playing with some settings etc. Only had limited time so took it off.
The next time I tried it on some milder ground but can't really say there was any increase/loss of depth. Targets (junk unfortunately) were at similar depths etc. to the 10" x 6" & to be honest this is the coil I stick to on the GMT. The stock 10" x 6" coil is a great fit to it IMO but I still need to play about with the 6" x 4" some more.
The real benefit I can see for the 6" x 4" would be fishing about in creeks/gullies & getting into those little hiding holes, cracks etc. It even looks tiny next to the 10" x 6" so it will fit in some small spots.
To be honest I think you would lose a bit of depth with the 6" x 4" but it may be a bit more sensitive to even smaller gold which is pretty hard anyway - the smallest piece I pinged with the 10" x 6" coil went 0.06gram so if it picks up smaller I'll need a magnifying glass to find em :lol:
If your ever around the Central West let me know & you can give it a try.

Hey all, just thought I'd let yas know I'm back from my trip... didn't have too much luck with the GMT but it sure was a lot of fun and in the end I did and up detecting a tiny little specimen in the Chewton area which I'm pretty darn happy about! I also caught up with a couple blokes who were nice enough to invite me out to a creek near Heathcote where we did a bit of panning and sluicing, collected a nice amount of small stuff to bring back home - and learnt a heck of a lot about finding the alluvial stuff - big shout out to Olly for his generosity!

Already inspired to go back for a much more dedicated fossicking trip... and actually pretty keen to make a move down that way permanently at some point! Love the cool air and the whole environment down there - much needed change for me - not to mention the gold!

Again many thanks to everyone who offered advice, really helped me plan the trip out - and turned out to be a great one (despite the crazy weather!). :)

Hey Nav
Glad to hear you had a good time even if you didn't find a lot of detector gold. Its getting hard as these areas have been gone over & over for the last 40 odd years with better & better detectors. I think that to find gold in areas like heathcote / castlemaine / bendigo etc you really do need to keep up with the latest & greatest innovations in detecting. ie the minelab gpx 5000.
There is still gold out there, its just a bit deeper than the last bloke with a detector who walked over it could penetrate. Or its in areas that have not been tried as yet by electronic or traditional methods.

Latest posts