pin pointing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, have been looking at lots of you tube gold finding video's and cant help noticing none of the people finding the bigger nugets or lots of nugs seem to use pin pointers,
Are they a waste of money?

Completely. If you've got a good coil and a plastic scoop...buy a decent bottle of scotch instead!

Watch how the experienced guys get their gold. You will rarely see them use one of those devices.

Wally would know(most probably) if they work or not as he chases both gold and treasures,... so if there is anyone out there with a pointer on gold its most probably Wally,.... I just don't know where Wally is right now,.... can't find him for looking(ha) :)

Agree with SB above on this one.....an unnecessary "add on" to the belt when out nugget hunting. Most who buy one for nugget hunting use them while at the beginner stage, and once you find your first few nuggets they get relegated to the top shelf of the cupboard. Great for coin hunting and to a degree for sniping crevices under water in rich locations.

Wal.

nicko61 said:
Hi, have been looking at lots of you tube gold finding video's and cant help noticing none of the people finding the bigger nugets or lots of nugs seem to use pin pointers,
Are they a waste of money?

I wouldn't go detecting without one, They speed up locating the target 10 fold, and when the hole is deep and you can't get the coil in there that's when they come into their own,

I wouldn't go prospecting without one.

I've had my Whites TRX for 2 years, and think those that say not to use a pin pionter probably don't own a good one.
The first Garrett pin pointers interfered with GPX detectors something shocking, even when the pin pointer was turned off.
Minelab's pin pointer is ok, but not as sensitive as the Whites unit.
I'm not sure about the new Orange Garrett, but believe it's a very good unit.

If you detect where there is a lot of shallow rubbish, you will thank the stars you don't have to run a plastic scoop over your coil 20 times per day.

Great for shallow creek gold caught up between rocks where you can't the scoop and coil into.
Great here in WA detecting Speci gold.

Use whatever tools are available to you to make the job easier.

GD

Pros and cons each way i guess, and most serous operators will have used the best ones on the market ;) .....but if you're serious you will have a good quality rare earth magnet on the pick to eliminate all the ferrous rubbish. The one on my pick will pick up nails and small pieces of rusty tin from 8 inches away. Agree to use whatever tools available, .....spend 50 bucks on a "Quality" rare earth magnet would be my first investment.

Wal

WalnLiz said:
Pros and cons each way i guess, and most serous operators will have used the best ones on the market ;) .....but if you're serious you will have a good quality rare earth magnet on the pick to eliminate all the ferrous rubbish. The one on my pick will pick up nails and small pieces of rusty tin from 8 inches away. Agree to use whatever tools available, .....spend 50 bucks on a "Quality" rare earth magnet would be my first investment.

Wal

As always Wal you save us with another Pearl of wisdom, Damn your Good,

If ever you find one for lead let me know....Ill stick it right next to the rare earth magnet on my pick and become another one of those happy campers. ;) :D

On a serious note though....many I see on the goldfields have a cheap rare earth magnet from places like Dick Smith and Jaycar on their picks. Do some research and get a proper R-E magnet and it will be money well spent. ;)

Wal.

Most rare earth magnets are good, but most are too small for serious prospecting applications, and only have a limited field. The one I use is cylindrical (20mm thick and 50mm in diameter). If I place the pick on the bull bar of my car you need two hands and all your force to dislodge it.

Mine magnetizes the whole of the pick face and picks up tacks and ferrous scrap via the pick face itself, and not only on the magnet. I have it on the back of the pick blade and it doesn't move from there. ;)

Wal.

I beg to be different. I use pinpointer for coin shooting and gold prospecting all the time. It speeds up recovery and requires less of digging for targets over 1 gram and 4 inches or less deep. Even for deapest targets pinpointer is usefull. Once you start digging hole the pinpointer will guide you in what direction you should continue to digg. The mono coils are really bad for precise target location..The .22 bullets can be pop out with help of pinpointer with minimal effort and same applies for nuggets over one gram.
Karl

WalnLiz said:
Most rare earth magnets are good, but most are too small for serious prospecting applications, and only have a limited field. The one I use is cylindrical (20mm thick and 50mm in diameter). If I place the pick on the bull bar of my car you need two hands and all your force to dislodge it.

Mine magnetizes the whole of the pick face and picks up tacks and ferrous scrap via the pick face itself, and not only on the magnet. I have it on the back of the pick blade and it doesn't move from there. ;)

Wal.
Thanks Wal.
Good info

Wal is this what you mean ?
50.8mm x 12.7mm Disc (Rare Earth) $50.50

1440297709_image.jpg

Latest posts