Minelab equinox 900

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all been messing around with the Minelab 900
Have watched a heap on YouTube and I can't seem to be able to use it
I can find nails and bottle tops and that would be great if I was building something but more after using it for the gold hunting side of things
Is there anyone around Dalton Canberra Yass area that would be willing to help a newbie out ??
Would be happy to pay for a lesson even
Cheers everyone

Hi all been messing around with the Minelab 900
Have watched a heap on YouTube and I can't seem to be able to use it
I can find nails and bottle tops and that would be great if I was building something but more after using it for the gold hunting side of things
Is there anyone around Dalton Canberra Yass area that would be willing to help a newbie out ??
Would be happy to pay for a lesson even
Cheers everyone
My best advice would be getting a small sinker and practice. Remember you need to have the right settings and actually walk over gold to find it. The 900 is capable of finding gold but more suited to coins etc. There are loads of books around gold locations, Loads of research and more research is the key. No one gives away gold locations, But the 900 is not a detector of choice. A good pi machine will always find more gold. But good luck hh

You probably need to lower your sensitivity, first instinct is to crank that up, but can be detrimental especially in hotter soils. If you can get to the point you're finding shotgun pellets you're on track at finding gold on the detector usage side of things.

There isn't much to it with the detector, go into gold mode, ground balance, adjust sensitivity where necessary, and off you go, the challenging part is finding ground with gold in it to be found, and to make that even harder to be found with a VLF, so you're lacking the depth of the PI people but you have the advantage of being able to find smaller gold so you need to target shallow bedrock in known gold areas. Not much point detecting deeper ground unless there are sunbakers.

A lesson wouldn't be so much how to use the detector, that's the easy part, it would be how to find the locations where the gold is, and people hate revealing that :)

Do you remember the Holden Camira?

Worst Car Blunders
Yes they broke a timing belt every 40,000 miles if you did not change them the valves went through the piston, they said they drove them at 100mph for 24 hrs was the sales pitch when they came out, but they did not tell you how many failed to make the 24hr 100 ph test, my cousin said his mate wzs there and many failed until they found one that done it, were a heap of s**t mine had a miss in engine they could not find.

My best advice would be getting a small sinker and practice. Remember you need to have the right settings and actually walk over gold to find it. The 900 is capable of finding gold but more suited to coins etc. There are loads of books around gold locations, Loads of research and more research is the key. No one gives away gold locations, But the 900 is not a detector of choice. A good pi machine will always find more gold. But good luck hh
You need a PI machine for gold as annalouge is no good in hot ground, i bought a a1f4 ex army mine modded detector for my small gold, and comes fairly close to a sd2300, you wont find flour gold with the 900, only small nuggets very close to ground top and they are so very scarce close to ground top as many people have been rthere b4 you, although it will be good for gold jewelery, rings ect. Like when we had a sd2000 they went very deep, then we all got a 4500 and now the pros are using 6000s and 7000s and are going to the next level, flour gold go out panning and its lots of fun, you only need a shovel, sive gold pan, sniffer bottle and a yabby pump

Well all the above advice is true. However, you can definitely find gold with Equinox 900 as I did recently with Equinox 800. You learn to ignore the chirpy sounds from more likely iron related sources and anything that is more mellow longer lasting rise and fall of signal is suspect as a target you might want. Temporarily switch in and out iron id if unsure to see if the chirpy sound goes mellow too for iron confirmation. Especially hot rocks are easily heard as chirpy sounds. A small shotgun pellet on or just below ground used in heavy iron area is a great way get on your game. When you find these out in the wild, be satisfied you now only need to put your coil over gold. Don’t be discouraged as it is a great way of being outdoors in fresh air. Take notice of the fauna that notices you in the area. Mostly very curious. PI machines are great when you can afford one. What I mostly use. But love the VLF challenge every now and then too.

Attachments

• _IGP3224_C.jpg
    _IGP3224_C.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts