Phase Technical Videos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point of the test was:
A. To show that going from an 8" to an 11" can have a big effect, and that the solid nuggies give the gpx a clear advantage. Gpx can change coils, you can't on the SDC so it is relevant.
B. Tweaking can improve the signal, but can also make things worse
C. On certain types of gold, the SDC has a clear advantage over the gpx, regardless of how much you tweak the GPX.

PhaseTech said:
The point of the test was:
A. To show that going from an 8" to an 11" can have a big effect, and that the solid nuggies give the gpx a clear advantage. Gpx can change coils, you can't on the SDC so it is relevant.
B. Tweaking can improve the signal, but can also make things worse
C. On certain types of gold, the SDC has a clear advantage over the gpx, regardless of how much you tweak the GPX.

Hi PhaseTech

you are very intelligent

Thank you taking the time to make this video. It is very interesting to watch a comparison done by some one with lots of experiance that is not biased. :)

I would have liked to see the SDC set to 3, then 4 then 5 sensitivity for comparison as well.

I know with mine if I get an iffy signal, crank it up a notch and the signal becomes clearer and repeatable if its a true target.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the video Nenad,

Not owning a detector myself it makes things a lot clearer on how they work and what I should be looking at when it comes time to buy. From my viewpoint, the simplicity and ease of use of the SDC comes up trumps. Would not even know where to start on the GPX.

Cheers

I liked the overall testing and and enjoyed the lesson I am wondering why you didnt try the sdc at higher sensitivity ? 2 is recommended but would have been good to see at higher levels

cheers

Retirement Stone said:
I would have liked to see the SDC set to 3, then 4 then 5 sensitivity for comparison as well.

I know with mine if I get an iffy signal, crank it up a notch and the signal becomes clearer and repeatable if its a true target.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

What he said, ^

Cool video Nenad. Target orientation in the ground plays a big part also, I'm sure you'd agree, a really flat tiny nug on its side at 90deg would maybe be invisible to the GPX where as laying flat it may give a good signal. The SDC will probably pick it up if it's not laying flat. Great un-biased vid none the less.

I think the flat little nugs a few mates (members here) and myself have been getting are ones which were not laying flat when the area was detected by numerous GPX5000 operators including ourselves, all the larger stuff was found years ago there by other operators. We could not get a good target off this patch. Then first time an SDC hits the patch 5 minutes later nugs start coming out, only small but quite a few there.

The SDC makes detecting fun in regard to not having to worry about having the "perfect" setting for a GPX in a given situation. Though for serious big deep gold GPX still easilly wins. Hmmmm gotta find myself some of that serious gold some day hopefully. :)

Heatho said:
Cool video Nenad. Target orientation in the ground plays a big part also, I'm sure you'd agree, a really flat tiny nug on its side at 90deg would maybe be invisible to the GPX where as laying flat it may give a good signal. The SDC will probably pick it up if it's not laying flat. Great un-biased vid none the less.

I think the flat little nugs a few mates (members here) and myself have been getting are ones which were not laying flat when the area was detected by numerous GPX5000 operators including ourselves, all the larger stuff was found years ago there by other operators. We could not get a good target off this patch. Then first time an SDC hits the patch 5 minutes later nugs start coming out, only small but quite a few there.

The SDC makes detecting fun in regard to not having to worry about having the "perfect" setting for a GPX in a given situation. Though for serious big deep gold GPX still easilly wins. Hmmmm gotta find myself some of that serious gold some day hopefully. :)

Yes exactly, all good points.

MJB said:
Thanks for the video Nenad,

Not owning a detector myself it makes things a lot clearer on how they work and what I should be looking at when it comes time to buy. From my viewpoint, the simplicity and ease of use of the SDC comes up trumps. Would not even know where to start on the GPX.

Cheers

One thing worth considering as well is that the Gpx4500/5000 has been out for quite a long time now. All the usual spots have been gone over numerous times, so the majority of targets that the GPX has/had an edge on over previous units has already been picked up. Please don't misread that as me saying a GPX can't find any more gold. What I am saying is that the SDC being the new kid on the block, has so far only scratched the surface, and even going to a spot that's been hammered by GPX's can still produce gold - as long as that different type of gold is there.

Latest spot gave up 9 small pieces with the SDC ...... smallest around the .03gm mark ...... while some gave off signals clear as a bell there was 1 'prickly' piece that gave an initial signal and then took over 5 minutes to actually locate ..... type of gold/shape/orientation has a big impact on your search.
Thanks for posting the Vid ....... would love to see a DD vs Mono comparison some day (waiting for me to become proficient with the GPX means I can't do it for another 2 or 3 years ..... the SDC keeps getting in the way).
Cheers T.

Great to see a serious test video where you have taken your time and explained everything. Very well done and even though I don't own either machine, you have given me what I think is a good insight into how each machine may react with the different nuggets, and what a different coil can achieve.

I wish there were more vids like this around!

Well done mate, the only problem that I have with your video is that it makes my detecting withdrawal symptoms worse :D I Haven't had a chance to detect for a couple of months and am counting down to the end of this month so I can do a couple more weeks detecting with the 5000.

Cheers

Latest posts