Petition to stop the proposed ban on sluicing in Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do we have the name of said coalition spokesperson? This would be extremely helpful in getting to the bottom of what exactly they will be proposing. Typically when a political football is being kicked around sources remain nameless. Is that sort of nonsense reporting that infuriates me. If true shame on the age and its editing for such a glaring admission of relevant information. That coupled with the 7 news grab that featured Jenny OConnor (also without submitting a name) are just the sorts of shameless inferior and irresponsible reporting that seems rife in this issue, almost like its deliberate, or worse incompetent. Oddly 7 reported tonight on the proposed support for deer hunting in Victoria that was well referenced and captioned. It saddened me to see the stark difference in its presentation in this instance as opposed to the sluice ban. Chalk and cheese.

I was also struck by the information presented in the report in relation to this pursuit (hunting) noting the comprehensive and relevant information that easily supported the position. We should not underestimate the power of presentation of our activities in a similar summary, we only need to collect and distribute this to educate our opposition and possible future allies. No doubt the end game is to lock us all out, and as a prospector, hunter, shooter, 4wd, camping and fishing enthusiast, I have a great interest in land use and rights to engage in my recreational pursuits. I suspect there are many more around the country just like me.

Hare_Twigga said:
I think if they ban sluicing it will be similar to dredging. Google (prosecuted for dredging australia) Very little comes up.Maybe the best way to change laws is to get caught and then fight it in court? I believe most laws in this country can't really be enforced as they are most likely invalid laws to begin with. Knowledge is our greatest weapon. The first video is Definitely worth watching! so is the second one but you need a spare hour and a half...

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCf0Z7cq1AY[/video]

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkMZWVAQulo[/video]

Ok, I will sign because I know only numbers count in minority battles but the "machine" will be hard to fight off, I recon someone should convince the ABC to report this in some way and let the voice be heard. Governments react to the media. Its a fact. I know "wayne glew" (spelled without capitals to protect the denial of his "corporate strawman") who is featured in the second video posted by Hare_Twigga. Wayne is a FMOTL believer and hardliner. He is a former police prosecutor turned "rogue". My experience with him was bitter and regretful. FMOTL supporters are dreamers and encourage the likes of timothy mcveigh and David Koresh.

if anyone wants to argue any of Mr Glews "common law" statements, I would be happy to explain it. you are a slave and thats what he is trying to argue through common law. which is not recognized by Australian courts. been there. done that.. What he says in his "lecture" is essentially correct, he really articulates an accurate perception of the direction of Australian law and society, but, He is fighting the machine... and the machine cannot be defeated..the machine owns you are an unknowing participant of its actions

I've signed but we still need over 2000 more signatures!! is there somewhere this can be advertised as this is the first time iv'e heard about it! eg on Facebook or something as we need this fixed this is a great hobby/past time. First they take our guns what now our Sluice this is ridiculous!!!!

Cheers Brett & Josie

dirtdiggin said:
I've signed but we still need over 2000 more signatures!! is there somewhere this can be advertised as this is the first time iv'e heard about it! eg on Facebook or something as we need this fixed this is a great hobby/past time. First they take our guns what now our Sluice this is ridiculous!!!!

Cheers Brett & Josie

I'm currently running a Facebook advertising campaign to try and spread the word but we need everyone to share the petition as much as possible.

See my post regarding the FB campaign in case you wanted to help out with that https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=82088#p82088

The most important thing here is not to leave it up to others, we really need all hands on deck.

Once the 5000 signatures is reached, the petition will be submitted to all relevant persons along with various information to support our cause. More on that a little later though.

Cheers,
Nugget

second thoughts, maybe don't go public...there will be 100 thousand Victorians who will support the greens without ANY background info..

Mr boring' we might have to catch up for a beer mate I'll get down that way some day and we will sit down drink some beers and tell em how it's gunna be! Cheers mate I love that sort of stuff got a heap of gov related documentaries and conspiracies on a hard drive somewhere.

There are other motives for turning state forests into national parks/state parks, and that includes logging and commercial mining. I believe amateur prospecting has partly been used as a scapegoat to promote what could happen if mining is allowed in so called sensitive areas, why, because it is a current activity, and seen as a relatively easy target.

One of their main complaints seems to be insufficient or non existent monitoring and management by park personnel of prospecting, especially since the new areas have been opened up in national and state parks. I believe if certain interest groups can show that the hobby is not properly regulated, managed and policed, and the government do not have the resources to do so, then the rogue operators out there may doom our hobby to an untimely death, moreso in the environmentally sensitive areas.

It also gives people who don't want prospecting to occur, more ammunition to shutdown other areas should they be able to directly prove that damage from fossicking goes on unabated, regardless of it being a state park, national park or state forest.

We all know what happens when activities like this become unmanageable, they usually get thrown in the "too hard" basket, and areas of concern are simply locked up, and the key thrown away, cheap and easy. This has been proven in other some other states.

Should we be demanding better regulation, funding and management of prospecting from the state govt to ensure prospecting survives, and give less cause for the interest groups to criticise the hobby, especially considering the tourist $$ prospecting brings to states like Victoria? Food for thought anyway.

There are plenty of other interests groups out there that have the desire to ban prospecting other than the greens, here's a couple of examples. All these articles are getting on a bit, but still interesting to see what other people think of our hobby, and how they believe it poses a direct threat to the areas concerned.

Whether the damage shown in the articles and video clip are from current day activites, flooding, or simply erosion of historic diggings, I don't know, Victorian members who regularly visit those areas might have better knowledge of that.

http://www.fobif.org.au/2013/02/should-prospecting-be-extended/

http://www.fobif.org.au/page/10/

http://vnpa.org.au/page/nature-cons...p-keep-gold-prospecting-out-of-national-parks!

Another interesting ABC report from last year.

http://abc.net.au/news/2013-4-26/debate-over-the-prospect-of-national-park/4654622

the first photo is 98 % natural erosion but it shows a 2 metre x 1 metre hole dug down to a depth of around 10 inches

there is no proof that was done by a prospector , it could have just as easily been a CSIRO Entomologist

second photo too , is that erosion caused by rain ? without being biased it could be anything

not an easy thing to prove or disprove , i think all of us need to keep some photographic records of our holes and cleanups in case they are needed in the future

:|

But in the next downpour it will be gone, floods do amazing things to the river and creek systems.
Brad.

dirtdiggin said:

Cheers Brett & Josie

Watch out, that is a loaded sluice.
Brads.

aushunter said:
But in the next downpour it will be gone, floods do amazing things to the river and creek systems.
Brad.
Floods do incredible damage to the environment they should be Banned.

Hare_Twigga said:
aushunter said:
Brad.
Floods do incredible damage to the environment they should be Banned.

Yup

I saw a flood stealing a whole gravel bar once

It disappeared right before my eyes

I rang police to come and investigate but they called off play due to rain :cool:

Colmaca said:

that photo you posted has already been posted on Jenny's page 3 times

the posts are still there , they are on the right hand side of the page , click on the headings

at least she doesnt delete anything which is noble

Latest posts