Heritage Laws in Victoria being used against metal detectorists

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasko

Matt
Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I urge all members to read the following petition (+ sign if you agree) & what has occurred to a popular social media poster Luke Phillips "Dig It Detecting" in Victoria.
Usually I don't like these online petitions but I think this is important. It could occur in any state given the legislation in most states could be interpreted to be used against us if relevant departments decided to become as over zealous as they have in Victoria.

https://www.change.org/p/preserve-t..._page&share_bandit_exp=initial-37846071-en-AU

You've got to wonder about the mentality of some of these officials. What passes through their mind when common sense goes out the window. For a start there were obviously a group of individuals void of the usual level of intelligence that were responsible for passing the 2017 legislation in the first place. Maybe some of those responsible for these regulations are ignorant of the potential impact of the decisions they make. After all most people are just in a job for financial reward so they have little interest in the outcome of their actions.

Hopefully caring people like Luke Phillips can influence enough of the population to help educate those ignorant few who make these important decisions. I'd like to see him get the support needed to overturn these stupid rules.

i have been led to believe (from a mate in vic) that heritage victoria put a bulldozer and excavator through a heritage listed site not long ago pushed all the artefacts in a heap
apparently more news to come soon

it may be do as i say not as i do o_O:rolleyes:

What will be next, those that dig away mullock heaps on Historical Mining site my end up in the same boat.

If you dig a hole you should back fill, correct. then if you tear down a mullock heap do you think they should place the dirt back ? whats your thoughts

i have been led to believe (from a mate in vic) that heritage victoria put a bulldozer and excavator through a heritage listed site not long ago pushed all the artefacts in a heap
apparently more news to come soon

it may be do as i say not as i do o_O:rolleyes:
Yes this happened at glenrowan years back a man picked up a piece of a patterned plate, when he heard what do you think you are doing, he said just picked up a piece of crockery, he said i am from heritage victoria and put it back where you found it or risk a ten thousand dollar fine, half an hour later a truck and loader pulled up and they loaded all the dirt into tip truck, he said wheres this going , they replied the benalla tip, at the time they filled the 100yr plus drain where the kelly seage was, they dont make any common sense to me, university educated idiots in my view

Latest posts