Petition to stop the proposed ban on sluicing in Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember this - wasn't it all a bit of hoo-ha because the proposal was only ever to do with those new areas being opened up in National Parks only and a blanket ban on the whole state was never mentioned anywhere?

What was worth chasing up and clarifying was the greens senator's misconception that "sluicing" meant "hydraulic sluicing".

Or am I confusing two seperate issues?

The proposal put forward was to ban sluicing and high banking in National Parks including areas its currently aloud like Reedy Creek, Eldorado to Beechworth.
The greenies were never happy about the VEAC review into allowing new areas for prospecting and in those areas only panning was to be allowed. Though we had a change of state government and the whole proposal has been sunk, the new state government wants to undo all things done by the previous government so will not allow the new proposed prospecting areas. I think its only a matter of time before they ban sluicing and high banking within National Parks and no matter how many people sign the petition they will get their way as prospecting does not sit well with conservation and the general publics perception of allowable activities within reserves.

Signed

Important to keep this rolling , pity the greens pay no mind to the $1000 I just spent in a little jaunt over the border to pursue my hobby and hundreds more like me every year , without that cash , the little towns who rely on prospecting tourists will hurt even more, today it's sluicing , give it a few years and any hole over 4 inches and not regenerated will be banned.

cheers

Marked said:
I remember this - wasn't it all a bit of hoo-ha because the proposal was only ever to do with those new areas being opened up in National Parks only and a blanket ban on the whole state was never mentioned anywhere?

What was worth chasing up and clarifying was the greens senator's misconception that "sluicing" meant "hydraulic sluicing".

Or am I confusing two seperate issues?
From memory the media got on board, they rolled with dumbassed statements from misinformed greens bench sitters, at one stage they were asking for a complete ban on sluicing (all types) all together, plus idiotic statements associating sluicing with 'hydraulic sluicing' from yesteryear, which is why a lot of us jumped on board to make a noise before some politicians back door'd the ban, all this is in 'Prospecting Rules and Reguluations', I often flick back every now and then and stroll through those old posts, man, they were some good days, we just about had the whole forum in on support, letters being sent to ministers of parliament, local and state, everyone was banding together, brings a bloody tear to my eye it does! 8.(
It's good to see it bought back up,
Fight the good fight people ;)

Swinging & digging said:
The proposal put forward was to ban sluicing and high banking in National Parks including areas its currently aloud like Reedy Creek, Eldorado to Beechworth.
The greenies were never happy about the VEAC review into allowing new areas for prospecting and in those areas only panning was to be allowed. Though we had a change of state government and the whole proposal has been sunk, the new state government wants to undo all things done by the previous government so will not allow the new proposed prospecting areas. I think its only a matter of time before they ban sluicing and high banking within National Parks and no matter how many people sign the petition they will get their way as prospecting does not sit well with conservation and the general publics perception of allowable activities within reserves.

Just to add the greens candidate was Jenny O'Connor. She's thrown her hat in the ring a few times as a political candidate on several platforms (read would get into power any means available) and made a totally misinformed statement about sluicing in a news report about the ban put forward in the Veac report on television at the time. She continued to bury herself (defend what she said) on social media.

As meta pointed out above the pmav never really tackled this head on. I urge anyone concerned to read the Veac report. A change in state government sees this buried but only for now. I've left this issue alone since the previous government did not put it into legislation, no point single handedly stirring up a sleeping lion. I have written to the relevant ministers personally for very little substance in reply. Unfortunately the public/green pressure will eventually ensure this is brought to light again.

In the meantime I can only advocate some data gathering to strengthen the cause, informed numbers hold sway, Just ask the deer hunters. Good luck out there gents enjoy your freedoms while they are still about, dodging a bullet comes to mind.

Hey Meta
I Hope to meet you one day as i love reading your posts and input.
As i am still fairly new to the forum and prospecting in general (5 mouths or so), i just wanted to clarify that this is not my petition and i am not asking you for money. I have just spent 10 days at Eldorado, 5 days with a couple of members of this forum and another, then 5 days camping by my self in a different camp spot at which i was blessed with meeting a number of other prospectors that arn't members of forums but are PMAV members, during our discussion they encouraged me to Join and i am in the process, also they suggested i search for the petition and join, to which i told them that i had in the past and had encouraged my family and friends, but that i thought it was past the due date and wasn't really relevant any more, but they gave me the impression, that it didn't really matter as the petition could be an ongoing thing for all individuals to register there support not just prospectors, giving us a base for when the issue arises again and mabe a fighting chance to keep this great hobby that we all love and wish to be able to continue, well into our old age and pass on to our children and encourage freinds and family to join us in.

Kind Regards to All and may you find what you are looking for. :)
Boyd

P.s
the petition on (Change.org) was started by Prospecting Australia and was one of the main reasons i Joined and met some great people,
who i hope to know for a lond time and share my journey of discovery and passion for the history of the people that worked and found the wealth, that has built our great state and nation, For a long time

P.P.S
Sorry if ive rambled on a bit, but got Home about 10pm, and still buzzing from a great time.

hey noncents
thanks for the reply and link details, beet me to the punch, took to long to write and post my reply to meta, in between unpacking from my trip
kind regards
Boyd

All good mate. As I mentioned above I tried to sign up and found out I already did sign and then remembered it was done previously. Its good to see yourself and others being pro active by bringing the topic up again. :)

Goldtarget said:
Swinging & digging said:

Just to add the greens candidate was Jenny O'Connor. She's thrown her hat in the ring a few times as a political candidate on several platforms (read would get into power any means available) and made a totally misinformed statement about sluicing in a news report about the ban put forward in the Veac report on television at the time. She continued to bury herself (defend what she said) on social media.

A lot of Greens supporters are terribly misinformed, 2nd last election a supporter tried to thrust a how to vote card into my hand and I asked her "oh you support death duties do you". She asked what is a death duty? I gladly informed her that her preffered party wants to take half her inheritance and 50% of what she leaves to her kids on passing away as taxes, she was horrified, literally started trembling at the thought, lol.

A lot of them really have no idea, they are blind supports standing behind a errrrr colour and have no idea how devious these people are.

I have witnessed what a green minority can do in governance. Shudder. Sluicing would be a minor concern if they assume that position again as you have eloquently pointed out. Intelligence and an informed position is clearly not on the position description of aspiring candidates.

I sleep well at night in my 'state forest' camp with a clear conscience knowing that I always take care of my bush surrounds, those same surrounds that will one day be gone for me.

Your right lads, those that oppose us, have most likely never set foot in the area's they want to take from us. They have no idea!

Im not much of a force in politics, nor do I wish to be, because its a fight i cant win on that front. I have lost faith in the Lobby groups that are in place to try and make a difference for us.
I hope you guys here (my online mates), don't judge me for this!
I say this with sadness.

An old bushy/mining mate of mine, a lover of nature and a damn fine prospector said to me not long ago, he said "Son, if you really want to make a stand and keep your prospecting and mining dream alive for not only yourself, your mates and your kids after your gone, you gotta start buying up some good land now".

He is damn spot on in my belief, and i am taking his wise words to turn a reality.

Im about to fork out a lot of my hard earn't 'folding' for 66 acres of prime gold bearing country which i have tested, and are currently looking at another 12.5 acres at the base of some very fine 'rich reefs' back in their day!

Come at me now Green rats!

;)

Well done there Meta.

I will be looking at buying prime gold country too when funds are available as like you say and your old mate.....that's the only way you will be able to prospect into the future the way you want to.

I hope your new property turns out to be very rich indeed

Thanks mate, It will be a lot of fun trying, a new way of life for us all......looking forward to digging out that Dirt bike track for the kids! ;)

You are always welcome to come camp when your over this way my friend.

Bring your Dry-Blower in the back of your new 4X4 ok!

Cheers

I was saying the same thing to the mrs last week....save it for the kids to prospect and camp or what not brurrrp! brurrrp!!...hahaha and get burried there just so we know they will get a break from city life when there chasing the $$$$$$. I signed it.

Latest posts