Paydirt for gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
Just curious if anyone can put me onto any mob that sells 'paydirt' for gemstones?
My young bloke is just getting into gemstones, and I would like to get him something like this for Christmas.
I just bought a set of turbopans and turbo paydirt, and would like something similar for him but with gemstones.

Thanks in advance,

spatch out

Hey spatch,
I have done a bit of research on this myself. I haven't had a lot of luck locally however on etsy there is a shop that sells topaz paydirt from the U.S. unfortunately it's not local however if it is something your little man is interested in might be worth checking out.

Hope that helps
WILKO

Where abouts are ya mate? ? I might be able to line some up at inverell for you... legit saphhire mine wash or i can classify some down for you and the young bloke for easier seiving .. pm me if u like..

7 oaks has sapphire wash that is also sold at the info center I was there last weekend and bought 6 bags for christmass presents myself. $9 a bag but Id's hate to see what freight would be on a bag of rocks.
Billabong blue dosn't have any for sale at the moment.

I also picked up some garnet rich dirt on the way home i could part with some, but again postage could get expensive. Have a read in the "peglegs sapphire adventure" topic

Where do you live?

Yeah, I knew I should've added my location. I was going to come back and update my post but forgot.

I'm down on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria.

Freight for DT's paydirt was around $13, so I'd be willing to pay up to maybe $25-$30 all up for a decent amount of stuff, say 0.5-1kg??? Beggars can't be choosers I guess...

Thanks guys.

PS - Can't PM anyone yet - 2 posts to go after this!

Mate, Digger Toms stuff is sluice concentrates, the bags or buckets of Sapphire wash are mainly gravel and probably at least 10kg, so shipping will cost a bit.

Heatho said:
Mate, Digger Toms stuff is sluice concentrates, the bags or buckets of Sapphire wash are mainly gravel and probably at least 10kg, so shipping will cost a bit.

Aha, righto. New to the game so no idea as yet. Digger Toms is only 500gms, so I see the difference now.
Bugger.

AtomRat said:
Here's diggertoms info page but don't know how a trade will go but good luck :)

Thanks Atomrat, I have already ordered DT's gold paydirt, I'm after gemstone paydirt if such a thing exists/is viable after postage. Not sure what you mean by 'a trade'?

Oh right, I thought you were wanting to swap bags of gems for bags of paydirt.

What sort of gemstones are you after? Depending on what you need I may be able to put something together. I've got a few things to post very soon.

I can pack up some smokey quartz n clear quartz in a paydirt bag way with sands that would need to be sieved? Can chuck in some amethyst and other natural gemstones..

Depends what your after really..from one location or a mixed variety ( bit unrealistic ).

I think they whole pay dirt thing can go well with many members in different areas of aus supplying crystals, sapphire, amethyst etc

Hi Spatch,

http://www.rubyvalegemgallery.com

Get onto these guys out at the gemfields of central queensland, $25 a bag i think the bags are 1kg, the mine they come from is a well known mine in the area for the quality of their sapphires, not too sure if they post so you may have to give em a call, I grab a bag every time i pass through the town or if ive had no luck out at the diggings. I have found some nice cutters in every bag. The bags come pre washed so no mess no dirt just sort the rocks from the gem stones :D

Some of the Sapphires and Zircons found in the last couple of bags

1448236306_2015-11-23_09.44.53.jpg

1448236356_2015-11-23_09.44.40.jpg

Great hobby to get into, best of luck. Keep us posted if you end up finding anything :)

M3

I'll send you 1kg for the price of postage. No guarantee there's much in it. All i did was scoop random dirt and classify it down.

I'll just have too see how much 1kg looks like compared to my stash.

Pm me your address and we'll work it out from there.

So, after more searching this morning I've come up with a bit of a plan B depending on postage costs from some of you guys.

I have found a place called 'Crystal World" 20mins away so I paid them a visit. They run the gemstone part at Collectors Corner at Gardenworld in Springvale.
I might buy $20-$30 worth of random stones and throw them in a bucket with some gravel, gravel dust, clay, etc etc so the kids think its real stuff.

http://www.crystal-world.com/html/main.htm

Pegleg said:
I'll send you 1kg for the price of postage. No guarantee there's much in it. All i did was scoop random dirt and classify it down.

I'll just have too see how much 1kg looks like compared to my stash.

Pm me your address and we'll work it out from there.

PM sent.

AtomRat said:
I can pack up some smokey quartz n clear quartz in a paydirt bag way with sands that would need to be sieved? Can chuck in some amethyst and other natural gemstones..

Depends what your after really..from one location or a mixed variety ( bit unrealistic ).

I think they whole pay dirt thing can go well with many members in different areas of aus supplying crystals, sapphire, amethyst etc

Hey there AtomRat, sounds like a possiblity. PM sent.

madfisher said:
Where abouts are ya mate? ? I might be able to line some up at inverell for you... legit saphhire mine wash or i can classify some down for you and the young bloke for easier seiving .. pm me if u like..

pm sent

Latest posts