Panning and Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

This may be a dumb question; but are there certain areas in which only panning/sluicing is allowed, or can one detect in all the allowed areas?

As I am completely new to the detecting world I have been doing plenty of research on the rules of prospecting and places to go. I feel like all my googling is making my head spin.

Oh; and another 2 more questions :D ; what are the best gaiters to get? because I was reading that the snakes in Australia aren't able to bite through canvas gaiters due to their short teeth. And finally, how important is it to change the shaft on my detector from the aluminium to a fiberglass one?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys!!

No such thing as a dumb question on here mate
Gaters are ok but nothing is guaranteed when it comes to snakes i have them but still keep an eye open
Detectors as far as i know cane be used in all places that you are allowed in
Why change anything on your detector if its not broken
The old saying if it ain't broken dont fix it

Nazman said:
This may be a dumb question; but are there certain areas in which only panning/sluicing is allowed, or can one detect in all the allowed areas?

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

There are very few areas where you can detect but not pan in and vice versa. Water catchments are usually a no no.

If you're in Victoria you can check with Parks Victoria.

Here's a link to all information including prospecting maps from Parks Victoria - http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular-activities/fossicking

As I am completely new to the detecting world I have been doing plenty of research on the rules of prospecting and places to go. I feel like all my googling is making my head spin.

In Victoria you need a Miners Right. These are available for around $24 for 10 years.

http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources-regulation/recreational-prospecting-and-fossicking

what are the best gaiters to get? because I was reading that the snakes in Australia aren't able to bite through canvas gaiters due to their short teeth.

I use SnakeProtex as they're designed specifically for Australia and they're recommended occupational health and safety workwear.

Obviously you're not instantly invincible with snake gators, so take all precautions to avoid contact with snakes.

https://snakeprotex.com.au

And finally, how important is it to change the shaft on my detector from the aluminium to a fiberglass one?

If your detector is working with it's original shaft then there's no technical reason to change it.

However, I prefer carbon fibre shafts as they're usually more sturdy.

Nazman said:
Hi guys

Oh; and another 2 more questions :D ; what are the best gaiters to get? because I was reading that the snakes in Australia aren't able to bite through canvas gaiters due to their short teeth. And finally, how important is it to change the shaft on my detector from the aluminium to a fiberglass one?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys!!

DD gaiters are top notch and also very good value at $70 posted. You will certainly never wear them out ;) I can also personally tell you they work ................... have witnessed this on several occasions unfortunately :eek: https://doubledleather.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=78
I believe once you swing above a certain coil size it is recommended that shafts be changed as coil can sense shaft and tune it out. Some say above 16" coil but I never had an issue with up to 19" coil but can't say after that. I'm sure some one more knowledgeable in this area can help you here :Y:

Very sensible questions. :Y: :Y:
Snake Gators,
Snake Protex.
Only snake to worry about is a Death Adder,
Can go through leather boots.
Carbon Shafts,
Recommended as they are lighter to swing plus
your machine has a slightly more sensitive edge as
it does not have to compensate for a metal object
being any where near the coil.
Debatable point for coils under 16" but I like them on
my 4500.

Nazman said:
Oh; and another 2 more questions :D ; what are the best gaiters to get? because I was reading that the snakes in Australia aren't able to bite through canvas gaiters due to their short teeth.

Thats what the snake expert we get in at work to run snake safety training says. Snake gaters are overkill due to the way our snakes fangs are built.

TheMediocritist said:
Nazman said:
Oh; and another 2 more questions :D ; what are the best gaiters to get? because I was reading that the snakes in Australia aren't able to bite through canvas gaiters due to their short teeth.

Thats what the snake expert we get in at work to run snake safety training says. Snake gaters are overkill due to the way our snakes fangs are built.

the only problem i see there is a bloke called Murphy and his law
and Murphy's law states that if it can kill you it will try its hardest
i would rather wear gaiters and know that i have as much protection that i can have and at the end of the day i will go home
have a read
http://snakeprotex.com.au/snakefacts/australias-1-deadly-snake-the-brown-snake

Thanks guys for all the responses and advice. I think I'll leave my shaft as is for now. My 4500 is quite quiet as far as I can tell, I asked because a mate of mine recommended it and it's what he has on his 5000. I'll definitely get a pair of gaiters, rather safe than sorry...the funny thing is, I'm a certified snake handler but where I come from the Puff Adders will pierce through their own bottom jaw if they have to (HUGE TEETH!!!).

Once again; Thanks guy!!!

Latest posts