Outback Relics and Ruins

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The JX in the phone number translates to 49 in numbers.

Jaros do you remember the mnemonic for letters to numbers?

Near the lift bridge Brewarrina, early 90s

vpSOhM0.jpg

Regards,
Tote

Blocker said:

No Blocker. In 1966 i began my tech in training with the PMG and it was around then the numbering systems changed. I worked the Malvern Exch prefix 50 but had no use for worrying about the mnemonics.
Jaros

Jaros said:
Blocker said:

No Blocker. In 1966 i began my tech in training with the PMG and it was around then the numbering systems changed. I worked the Malvern Exch prefix 50 but had no use for worrying about the mnemonics.
Jaros

1-All
2-Big
3-Fish
4-Jump
5-Like
6-Mad
7-Under
8-Water
9-Xcepting
0-Yabbies

Ah! the accumulation of useless information.

Blocker said:

I believe that JX is 59.

Surely if you look at your phone the Alpha codes will be shown for each number. But this is not a mnemonic of course.
1 -
2 - ABC
3 - DEF
4 - GHI
5 - JKL
6 - MNO
7 - PQRS
8 - TUV
9 - WXYZ
0 -

Rob P.

In the largest cities, it took many years to convert every office to automatic equipment, such as apanel switch. During this transition period, once numbers were standardized to the2L-4N or 2L-5Nformat (two-letter exchange name and either four or five digits), it was possible to dial a number located in a manual exchange and be connected without requesting operator assistance. The policy of theBell Systemstated that customers in large cities should not need to be concerned with the type of office, whether they were calling a manual or an automatic office.

When a subscriber dialed the number of a manual station, an operator at the destination office answered the call after seeing the number on anindicator, and connected the call by plugging a cord into the outgoing circuit and ringing the destination station. For example, if a dial customer calling from TAylor 4725 dialed a number served by a manual exchange, e.g., ADams 1383-W, the call was completed, from the subscriber's perspective, exactly as a call to LEnnox 5813, in an automated exchange. The party line letters W, R, J, and M were only used in manual exchanges with jack-per-line party lines.

PabloP said:
Blocker said:

I believe that JX is 59.

Surely if you look at your phone the Alpha codes will be shown for each number. But this is not a mnemonic of course.
1 -
2 - ABC
3 - DEF
4 - GHI
5 - JKL
6 - MNO
7 - PQRS
8 - TUV
9 - WXYZ
0 -

Rob P.

What I am refering to far precedes the current phone keypads.

1600599314_s-l1600.jpg

If you didn't have phone in front of you the mnenomic helped to remember what the number was as in about 1960/61 as Jaros mentioned they changed the way numbers were listed with only numbers, but a lot of advertisements and stationary used the old form on letters and numbers and you needed to be able to convert letters to numbers.

1600599601_s-l1600.jpg

This might help.

oops did something wrong. Also 7.62 Marksman I think Australian party lines were sequenced D, U, K, I cannot remember what came after that.

Latest posts