Out 'n' About With The CTX3030

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of those smaller silvers on my local Victorian sites are nothing more than an iron grunt when located very deep beyond effective detection range. End up cleaning out lots of small copper relics, musket balls and shotgun shell ends to sterilise the ground, then go back over it again to dig all faint but repeatable iron tone grunts. I find the difference between iron targets and those sorts of responses is the repeatability of them - iron targets at similar depths tends to offer more erratic one way repsonse . Cross referencing with pinpoint mode seems to also help define a coin sized target at depth vs small iron targets. Don't know whether it is the same on your sites, just thought I would put it out there. ;)

Crrrracked it mate. :eek: $103 :D
:Y: O:) :Y:
:Y: :cool: :Y:
:rainbow:
O:)
:D

Goldpick said:
Some of those smaller silvers on my local Victorian sites are nothing more than an iron grunt when located very deep beyond effective detection range. End up cleaning out lots of small copper relics, musket balls and shotgun shell ends to sterilise the ground, then go back over it again to dig all faint but repeatable iron tone grunts. I find the difference between iron targets and those sorts of responses is the repeatability of them - iron targets at similar depths tends to offer more erratic one way repsonse . Cross referencing with pinpoint mode seems to also help define a coin sized target at depth vs small iron targets. Don't know whether it is the same on your sites, just thought I would put it out there. ;)

Cheers GP
Yes i have similar experiences here too
These early sites are never straight forward and require a fair bit of effort to unlock all the goodies
I have patience and will sift through it all ... in time

The first pic is the result of a 2 hour hunt back at the 1800's site ( minus all the nails :rolleyes: )
1525590265_img_8447.jpg

This next lot is from a new permission farm site i started hunting yesterday (i was told this it also dates back to 1800's)
1525590402_img_8453.jpg

1525590845_img_8456.jpg

Still plenty of ground to cover yet, so im not too discouraged
I just hate these bloody things :mad:
1525590773_img_8454.jpg

Nice old house site.... always gotta be something as common as pull tabs ,... and just as valuable at every site under the sun hey !
Lookin on the ball with it all young fella ! :D
ya old mate
Silver
:Y: O:) :Y:

2nd photo Sandta,top right,the disc with 2 holes could be one of those things that the kids used to put a loop of string through and use it as a toy,I think they were called a wizzer or a whirligig or something like that.
1525606059_image.jpg

1525606093_image.jpg

One of those crayons from Clegy would clean that up nicely, I never get sick of Victorian era coins. Lead washers = possible gold, so got to dig it all. A guy on Kimbucktwo got sick of digging shotgun shells and spent cartridges, only to find one of them turned out to be an 1800's gold sovereign. ;)

Goldpick said:
One of those crayons from Clegy would clean that up nicely, I never get sick of Victorian era coins. Lead washers = possible gold, so got to dig it all. A guy on Kimbucktwo got sick of digging shotgun shells and spent cartridges, only to find one of them turned out to be an 1800's gold sovereign. ;)
in cleaner areas i dig every sig that appears

ctxkid said:
Goldpick said:
in cleaner areas i dig every sig that appears

In junky areas I dig all non-ferrous, in the past I've had predecimals ring up at extraordinarily low numbers due to the influence of iron, not to mention heavily masked coins and relics. That's probably more down to the types of sites I detect where most good stuff is long gone due to other detectorists working the cleaner areas, and only the harder targets left in the ground. Truth is most older sites will still offer good targets even after a multitude of visits, just need to grid with more precision on each subsequent visit and take note of the lesser obvious targets (ie: on edge or partially masked coins/relics). :)

Latest posts