Other Bush Nasties! Bullants, jumping jacks, bees, wasps etc.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, they can be quite deadly for some people if they get stung. A mate of mine had a property where there were so many you couldn't stand still in some places, you had to march on the spot. He must have had 20 different types there on his property (94 types of Myrmecia have been described). They are one of the oldest known ant species too, they say common ancestors date from as far back as 70 million years, certain wasps are an ancester also

My mate is allergic to them and his reaction so bad to them he had to carry an Epipen in case he got stung.

I'm not fully allergic yet but my next attack may be a diff story as I've had about 4 big attacks now. The last i posted here was rather nasty. It was very common around here back at school for our mates being airlifted to Melbourne from the reaction, many allergic. If you don't have an epipen, run. Run like hell to the nearest road using as much energy as you can, as long as you possibly can. ( Jason Sathom in Crank style running ) You need to produce adrenalin to counter the bites but running still may not produce enough. Its an option if needed

Its one of those things where you need to make sure its packed or at hand, its as important as a diabetics insulin. I should really add one to my kit not for myself, but in case someone I'm with has a reaction

Jumping jacks are the most aggressive ant in the world.
So bad is there temper, that a nest will split and go to war with each other.
They are the only ant that will attack there own colony.
Oh, and a sting with a punch.
The bulldog ant, ( inch ant, big f@&!#g ant, and holy f... that hurt ant)
Have one of the worst stings of all ants.

My brother has a really bad reaction to these.
And has to carry an epipen.
He has a really bad reaction to wasps too.
I can't believe how many wasp nests I have seen in a small area out prospecting.
Will have to get the petrol out and drown them of a night time.
( 5 in less than 500m of the creek)
And thats only the ones I could see.
So many of them out at the moment

Lol @ line 5 :lol:

The wasps are crazy there and soo many there XIV!

In between all the swarms happening, have you noticed the weird mutation bugs showing up here and there? The past year I've said many times .."hey look at that.. that.. umm.. what's that?! Its rather concerning when you can't say what you've been bitten by when its not common

Wow he's a mean looking critter. I remember when I was a young tacker got bitten by a bull ant out bush, down near the Snowy, boy it hurt and did I jump up and down.

That pic AR is that what some people call the, 'jumper ant"?

cecc said:
That pic AR is that what some people call the, 'jumper ant"?
Gday cecc, nah, jumping jacks are around or under half the size if a bull ant. They move or jump forwards in a twitchy type of manner while the bull ants just prowl. I've had at least 60 of the suckers gnawing on my right arm before, puffing it to an unrecognizable blubber. I don't grab onto bits of bark on rotten tree stumps to to pull myself up cliffside anymore...

Ok AR....with ya, I remember in the 70's while in the Army, up in NQ on exercise, and was setting up a hutchie one day and something bit me, I had put my hutchie over this jumper ant nest, sort of orangey color if I remember, only little but what a bite.

Worst experience I've had in the past with ants, was putting my coke can down onto a fire ant nest and then taking a big skull after 5 mins of it sitting there, without realising what was to come... 8.(

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh that would be so hectic...........imagine the pain in the throat, so bad aye?

..I think it was that painful I can't even remember how bad it was. Just pure shock and breathing difficulties mixed with constant internal stings, I can't even remember what I did or where I went to fix it :/

Where were the fire ants AR?
And did you report there location to anyone?
Reason I ask is fire ants as far as I know don't belong in Australia and need to be reported so they can be destroyed.

We have native fire ants too, just a few differences under the microscope on the abdomen that tell them apart ,... DPI scientists get a bit frantic until they see under the scope that they are native, especially from areas outside the zone, gets em all worried a lot. :D

More chances of being killed here by something native than unrest or uprising, I think that must have appeal with the tourists, I went to Australia and S U R V I V E D type thing. :lol:

LC76 said:
Where were the fire ants AR?
And did you report there location to anyone?
Reason I ask is fire ants as far as I know don't belong in Australia and need to be reported so they can be destroyed.
Not far away from home at all mate, coming up through grass gaps next the concrete gutters on tarmac roads. This was at least 15 years ago

I killed this queen I found in my own garden just now!:
1458960752_14589604291980.jpg

Looks like a little old meat ant from a QLDer perspective.problem is that ants come from wasps, and some have retained their ability to sting. ;)

Latest posts