Other Bush Nasties! Bullants, jumping jacks, bees, wasps etc.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lucky he was full or that could have been you sticking out his mouth 7 meters wow seen 3 meter python in kangaroo valley rain forest my mate said look up bastard he knew I hate snakes and I spent the whole day looking for tiger snakes down there every time I turned around another one was there so I did not make it to the river to pan I now there is gold there but to scary to get it :)

Richo, Those snakes have different times. One week we see a lot of green tree snakes and then Brown tree snakes and sometimes we wont see a snake for weeks. Right now is generally a bad time for Taipans, they are i think in their mating season. Touch wood i haven't seen one this year? If i was you go in the winter time down there, i doubt you will even see a snake. One prospecting gully i called it brown snake gully, the first time i was there i saw 2 brown snakes. You know i have been back to that place many times and never saw not even one snake. :)

this place is covered with tiger snakes every time I have been there I have seen them on the road on rocks next to dams nice place but you need shotgun to walk down there pretty cold in winter down here we stay a way from water in winter i need one of them diving suites with warm water for panning here bloody cold :(

I don't know about bracken for bites. But I came across Spitwegerich (eng. Ribwort) over in Germany. I will help with stings because it has antihistemic properties. I know there is loads around the east coast too. Grab a leaf, crush and roll it between your fingers to bruise it and release the juices. Rub it on your sting. You know you have enough juices on because it stains your skin green.
1385190169_ribwort.jpg

Heres a pic

Hey Rod,
I have been eaten a couple of times by crocs...it wasn't to bad ;)
cheers.

spottedgum said:
I don't know about bracken for bites. But I came across Spitwegerich (eng. Ribwort) over in Germany. I will help with stings because it has antihistemic properties. I know there is loads around the east coast too. Grab a leaf, crush and roll it between your fingers to bruise it and release the juices. Rub it on your sting. You know you have enough juices on because it stains your skin green.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1687/1385190169_ribwort.jpg
Heres a pic

i recognise that . heaps of it everywhere.

very kind of mother nature to grow that everywhere except for the place where you get bitten :p

seriously . i shall keep that in mind if i ever run out of tea tree oil.

Anything that can go up your pants leg is nasty, doesn't matter if bites,stings or is just crawling about, when I feel that movement it's enough to make me jump 6 ft

Roscoe said:
Duck, you can have your flying Bull ant, i have enough problems in my own back yard. Now lets see who has the nastiest back yard. Ok, I have salt water crocs in the river down the back, Whistling spiders, scorpions, Huge centipedes, Taipans, canetoads, greenants, meatants, paper wasps and bull ants. Ok, i think the canetoads not a nastie but it is poisonous. :)

Ok you win worst backyard, we have only had a couple of black snakes. What on earth is a whistling spider, the mind boggles, and I am not even thinking about your pet croc! :p

209F10.jpg

This is a whistling spider or so known as Bird eating spider. They are big and have big fangs. They live in under sheets of roofing iron, bark and in river banks. They catch there prey by ambush tactics. They also visit your outside light areas or in my case my veranda. :)

haha scary not so little F*&%ers aren't they, I was trimming my mums palms one day up the ladder cut one of those seed pods down out come one of those the size of my hand!!! I hope that isn't a picture of what was left of your motherinlaw after the spider was done :)

belladonna said:
Omg, I hope to never meet one of those. I think I would faint.
Thanks for the pic
Donna :eek:

Just admire the beauty, they would rather not bite you.
If there just passing through their focus is elsewhere. If you just walked on him, he is cross.

slowflow said:
belladonna said:
Omg, I hope to never meet one of those. I think I would faint.
Thanks for the pic
Donna :eek:

Just admire the beauty, they would rather not bite you.
If there just passing through their focus is elsewhere. If you just walked on him, he is cross.

That's right. Might startle you because they are trying to pass as silently as possible. Beautiful creatures!

red bellys have never given me trouble they live in chook yard eating mice and rats you see them but they move away when you go up there they don't bother the chooks or humans good to have around and they eat baby browns very good to have them around :)

That is a fine specimen of a black snake Jenmal and a good picture too. Its in very good condition. I have heard that they eat immature browns as well Richo, which is a good thing. When, i lived in NSW we lost a dog from a black snake. Dogs keel over in about 10-15mins and its note a nice sight. They love to hang out on rivers on very hot days, whether they are regulating their body temperature, mating or hunting i am not sure, but one area i saw a least a dozen of them in an area of 100 meters on a creek ounce. :)

Over the past month or so, I've noticed a dramitic increase of jumping jacks and bulldog ants ( inch ant ) in many areas down here in VIC. Especially the past week. Those of you with allergies should be extra careful as they are in full force. Ill go into the bush even at home to discover a large nest under a log, or just find them wandering the forrest floor in mass. Just a heads up, be careful and watch what you grab and step onto.

1458943660_dkehbitxugogisxanzorpyvoin2ovle-n81bic7le4ujxdosyxc6a7z1eebvjy_ddymatbcctqjvimd3zkjns1200.jpeg

Latest posts