Other Bush Nasties! Bullants, jumping jacks, bees, wasps etc.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
axeman said:
Red hornets are what I fear most. In my job I come across these occasionally, luckily I don't have an allergy to these, some people swell up badly from them. If bitten around the face, chest area you would be advised to get to a hospital asap. They are about an inch+ long, orange in colour with orangey-yellow wings. There sting is very painfull. There not a bite and fly away insect, they attach themselves to you and have to be torn off to stop them repeatedly stinging. Last encounter I had I got hit by 8 at once and for a 15 minutes + I was in a whole new world off pain. The only way to get rid of them was to lose the shirt as I was running (all the stings were to the upper body,3 on the guts, 2 on 1 arm and 1 on the back of the neck). If you come across a nest there'll be one staring straight at you, firstly, back away from the nest, secondly don't take your eyes off him or he will have you, thirdly, don't run unless they attack (they love the thrill of the chase I think).
:) Mick

They sound like a NIGHTMARE , hope I never see these B*stards - What area you in MIck ? , No need , I see you're in Mid Nth QLD

we have the worlds most venomous ant and guess what they can do

1385028074_250px-male_bull-dog_ant.jpg

I hate Leeches...When the little suckers get hold of me I itch and scratch for months...One of the reasons I gave up walking the river banks fishing for Bass...

Duck, you can have your flying Bull ant, i have enough problems in my own back yard. Now lets see who has the nastiest back yard. Ok, I have salt water crocs in the river down the back, Whistling spiders, scorpions, Huge centipedes, Taipans, canetoads, greenants, meatants, paper wasps and bull ants. Ok, i think the canetoads not a nastie but it is poisonous. :)

Roscoe said:
Duck, you can have your flying Bull ant, i have enough problems in my own back yard. Now lets see who has the nastiest back yard. Ok, I have salt water crocs in the river down the back, Whistling spiders, scorpions, Huge centipedes, Taipans, canetoads, greenants, meatants, paper wasps and bull ants. Ok, i think the canetoads not a nastie but it is poisonous. :)

okay . lets cross your place off the list for the kids next birthday party

blind mans bluff down the back of your place ? ..... nah

Ha Ha, :) Your welcome to come for a swim down the back any time, just sign over your prospecting gear to me before you do. :)

Roscoe said:

Live Action :)

Years ago i use to pump water out of the river for washing, i have a bore now. In the wet season the river floods a lot and some times you have to get down to the river quick other wise your pump gets washed away. I use to set my pump up in front of a large fallen tree, the tree hung over the water for about 2-3 m, it was an ideal spot because you could walk out on the end of the log and set your suction hose off the bottom. I had removed the pump about three days before hand and the river was slowly lowering and clearing. I went down and saw the river was about 1/2 a metre under the log, normaly it is a good metre under, but i needed water and the river was still in flood. So i set my pump up and walked out on the log and nearly slipped into the water, the top of the log was covered in slimmy silt. Luckily there was a small branch above my head and i grab that, which prevented me falling in. I then continued to hand prime the suction hose and walked back to the pump and started screwing the hose into the pump. As i was doing this i felt a strange felling, some thing was looking at me from behind. I slowly turned around and hear no more than a metre and a half was a 5 metre salty lining me up. At the same time my dads dog a red cattle dog spotted the croc and started to move towards the croc barking, this gave me time to move back. The only problem know was my dads dog, i am yelling at it to come back, but the dogs deaf. So i quickly through some thing at her which caught her attention, thus saving her. The most chilling think about this is that the croc just rose up high in the water and moved out slowly away from us and preceded to move with ease down the flooded river. I went home much whiter than i went down and gave every one a telephone call around the area to warn them to be careful down the river. That was close call #3 with crocs and i don't think i will get #4. Had i had slipped into that water of the log, i would say that was the end of me. :)

yes me to I am scared of snakes a 5 meter salty croc would make me walk on water I would be going so fast :eek:

A have had three very close encounters with crocs. in the past that was one of them. They know the river back to front. They also are a lot, lot smarter then we think. They are the masters of stalking in and use their environment around them to the max. For instance, i set a few cheribin (yabby) traps out and i went down late one afternoon to check them. The sun was low and the water was very glarey from the sun. Now that croc. knows all to well of this fact and used it to try and get me when i went to check a trap. Lucky i know from my past experience that he knows that and right in front of me a few metres out he came to the surface and just his eye's and nostrils were showing. I believe if i was a tourist and i didn.t know these little tactics they use i would be a goner. Please if you head North, then be careful the Rivers up here have salties many, many kilometers up stream in the fresh and they can use a lot of different tactics.

Roscoe said:
Years ago i use to pump water out of the river for washing, i have a bore now. In the wet season the river floods a lot and some times you have to get down to the river quick other wise your pump gets washed away. I use to set my pump up in front of a large fallen tree, the tree hung over the water for about 2-3 m, it was an ideal spot because you could walk out on the end of the log and set your suction hose off the bottom. I had removed the pump about three days before hand and the river was slowly lowering and clearing. I went down and saw the river was about 1/2 a metre under the log, normaly it is a good metre under, but i needed water and the river was still in flood. So i set my pump up and walked out on the log and nearly slipped into the water, the top of the log was covered in slimmy silt. Luckily there was a small branch above my head and i grab that, which prevented me falling in. I then continued to hand prime the suction hose and walked back to the pump and started screwing the hose into the pump. As i was doing this i felt a strange felling, some thing was looking at me from behind. I slowly turned around and hear no more than a metre and a half was a 5 metre salty lining me up. At the same time my dads dog a red cattle dog spotted the croc and started to move towards the croc barking, this gave me time to move back. The only problem know was my dads dog, i am yelling at it to come back, but the dogs deaf. So i quickly through some thing at her which caught her attention, thus saving her. The most chilling think about this is that the croc just rose up high in the water and moved out slowly away from us and preceded to move with ease down the flooded river. I went home much whiter than i went down and gave every one a telephone call around the area to warn them to be careful down the river. That was close call #3 with crocs and i don't think i will get #4. Had i had slipped into that water of the log, i would say that was the end of me. :)

mate the hair prickled on the back of my neck just from reading that.

i was told that when in croc country , if youre around the river , dont do things the same way twice coz croco-dude will be ready with tooth picks in one paw and after dinner mints in his pocket

Roscoe, that is terrifying. I'm not going to worry about the mud wasps, bull ants (bitten many times when clearing fallen trees), redbacks, ticks or even the 2 ft. red belly black (I took a photo) that was in the loungeroom earlier in the year. The thought of crocs gives me the horrors.

I have good stories to tell you's. One more for you. We were having some big rains up here at the time. We got cut off from town for about 4 days and i went for a drive early in the morning to check out the bridge to town. Upon driving just out my drive way i could see this big lump across the road. I stopped and had a look, it was pouring rain, i hopped out of the car walked up and here is a 7m scrub python with a set of wallaby legs hanging out of his gob. I grab the pythons tail and very carefully slide him off the road into the table drain. I went had a look at the bridge and came back, that snake was gone. :)

Latest posts