Online, Email Scams, Fake callers/Phone scams and other scam information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, just to and my two cents worth. Last year sometime I was getting weekly scam emails of the sort described above (cant remember fully what that said, it pretty much I have your details pay me money or I will release embarrassing information about you blah blah blah. Funny thing is the content of the email was the same but the email address it came from was always different). Found out (as Houdini said) a website I had an account with got hacked (ps the website never told its customers that it had been hacked, just quietly sent email to say you should change your password regularly etc!). The email had a password which was one that I had used (hadnt used it in years) but wasnt an email password to any of my current accounts. Even though, I was rightly concerned!!

Theres a guy who has done some pretty good work - hes compiled a database of hacked accounts and lets you do a search to see if your email address or a password is in any of the leaked/hacked databases - just google have you been pwned. Sorry mods, but not sure I can put the link to the page, but its pretty easy to find. If ok, I can add it to later post. When I ran a search, I got a hit. Trawling through the list of sites hacked - and there it was, the one I had the account with. Needless to say, never been back to that site (inactivated the account, but the damage is done). This might be worth looking into.

Please note - NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!! (have I emphasised it enuf???) use the same password for any account. These guys will hit one account, then try the same password on every account they can find. Once they are in, they will reset passwords and then it gets awful.

Also, if you are worried, reset passwords on all your accounts, and if you think your computer is infected, do the password resets on another computer (to be sure). If you think your device is infected, do a factory reset (and backup any content before you do the reset). Dont plug it in to any other device, in case the new device gets infected too.

Also - on a final note, if you have a computer that you do internet banking, or log in to accounts, i.e. sensitive stuff, dont have your kids use this computer as a play machine to browse the internet and play games. Kids dont have the same smarts that we do, and theres a good chance they may infect the PC without knowing it. Seen it before.....

Stay safe

Andrew
AK47

I've watched sooooo many scam hacker vids on YouTube it's like I've advertised myself unknowingly lol
This is what they look like..
Top msg and bottom 2...do not click on!!!!!
1628935807_screenshot_20210814-200607_messages.jpg

When the internet was young I use to create a bit of havoc. To educate yourself pun h in 'scambaiter' on YouTube, he is the best ;)

In poor countries with poor economy but have internet access, guess what they are pooring all their time into!!!!

grubstake said:
Solid Luck said:
Too late.

Android phones can get infected by merely receiving a picture via text message, according to research published Monday.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/07/27/technology/android-text-hack/index.html

That article is actually dated 2015, so I'm pretty sure that particular exploit would have been blocked long ago.

Good pickup grubstake.
I beleive there is a similar one gpong around again where all they have to do is call your phone.
I was reading a security report a couple of nights ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Uploading z cooridintes to pc that's connected to the net is risky but only to an Indian prospector scammer in Aus which would be extremely rare.
They are educated technicians for all the wrong reasons,
If your concerned don't click 'yes' to saving your login details and punch in manually. But bank8ng incryption is pretty secure.

20xwater said:
I've watched sooooo many scam hacker vids on YouTube it's like I've advertised myself unknowingly lol
This is what they look like..
Top msg and bottom 2...do not click on!!!!!
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...35807_screenshot_20210814-200607_messages.jpg
When the internet was young I use to create a bit of havoc. To educate yourself pun h in 'scambaiter' on YouTube, he is the best ;)

LOL

Those last two I got on a Vodaphone account, exactly those !

There are a lot of fishing scams around, looking to confirm your number to then pinch it from you via Google phone number transfer systems - as I understand it.

grubstake said:
Solid Luck said:
Too late.

Android phones can get infected by merely receiving a picture via text message, according to research published Monday.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/07/27/technology/android-text-hack/index.html

That article is actually dated 2015, so I'm pretty sure that particular exploit would have been blocked long ago.

My bad. I was either reading an old report or misinterpreted what I read about what is going on currently with the FluBot. Probably the latter :(

Still, it pays to stay alert to the current scams.

And ever increasing instances on FB & IG scam businesses posing as a real business.
Sure wouldn't be on here now if the threats to shut down NBN, interenet, mobile phone etc etc were true.
Poor buggers probably only get a couple of $$'s a day to do some rich b******s dirty business.

Nightjar said:
And ever increasing instances on FB & IG scam businesses posing as a real business.
Sure wouldn't be on here now if the threats to shut down NBN, interenet, mobile phone etc etc were true.
Poor buggers probably only get a couple of $$'s a day to do some rich b******s dirty business.
Scambaiter on YouTube will inform you, he hacks and shares everything including thier camera feeds.
The boss,s of scam call centres keep a close eye on the scammers working for them. Indian police dont do anything about it when the call centre is reported, is why it will never stop.

My post office scam texts are decreasing lately..

Often getting calls from "unknown number" .... just don't answer them and them block the number, same with calls where numbers are displayed ... if they're not on my contact list (which would show up with who's calling) I just don't answer.

Federal Government needs to do something as some relevant info (eg covid advise) will go unanswered.

Doubt the telcos want them stopped it's probably a major source of revenue for them.

Latest posts