Old relic...new to gold!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings to all,

I'm now in that "semi-retired" phase of life, where I have a bit of spare time and am looking to use it profitably!

Way back in 1982 I bought a "Wildcat" detector. I was working up at Falls Creek at the time. Someone lost a 1 oz gold "bar" when a neck chain broke so I thought I'd go looking for it. Never did find that gold, but I cleaned up on coins! People had been skiing Falls Creek since the 1950's. Whenever they fell over, the coins fell out of their pockets into the snow. When the snow melted, if the coins weren't found, they were covered by grass and gradually sank into the soil. I found heaps of pre-decimal silver coins, but the best find was a 1952 Olympic medal...it was silver, but no inscription, so I guess it was just a "participation medal" .
I left Falls in 1985.
Later, I took the detector with me to Finland. I looked on the site of the Old City of Helsinki and found a 1 Ore coin from 1635 and a very large bronze ring. Unfortunately, both have been lost in my travels over the years.
More recently, I lived in Russia for 10 years. While there, I bought a Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter and found several bronze arrowheads, a small figurine and 2 Byzantine coins on a lake bed only about 200 metres from where I lived.
I'm back in Australia now and would dearly like to do some detecting in Tasmania. I've never found gold, but would love to.
I'm looking around for a used Pulse Induction detector (I've been told they handle mineralised ground better) and any hints or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dr Tom

Latest posts